New IPK Install - How easy on a T4? by DaveyC

DaveyC
I have a set of of "as new" message centre clocks for my CDTi. I have the stalk with the button on it and have been told I will need to get the T4 (Testbook version 4.Computer Diagnostic System)'d for use in my car. How easy is this to do for someone with a T4? Is it case of take it to anyone who has a T4?

Dave :mrgreen: :flosg:

Posted 26 Jan 2014, 06:30 #1 

Trebor
Hi Dave,

I asked Duncan a similar question recently and this was his very informative reply

A T4 is needed, whatever you do. The big sticking point is a new or used part. With a new part you can simply connect it, connect the T4 and the T4 will recognise the new one and program it accordingly. With a used one, you can't do that. You have to turn it back into a new one by changing the memory by reprogramming it or replacing the chip that holds the data. I know how you are supposed to reprogram it but have never had the time to try it. David replaces the chips on them. You have to be careful with a new one, not to fit it and drive anywhere before T4, otherwise it becomes used, and T4 still can't do it.

Regarding versions, for the UK there are basically four versions. Petrol and diesel, with and without trip computer. You have trip computer if you had trafficmaster. The trafficmaster is a little black box, the rest is inside the IPK (Instrument pack (IPK from the German)). The big difference is the display. The trip computer version has a little LCD that displays symbols and messages. The non-trip just has LEDs behind fixed symbols.

There are of course then different coloured LEDs, different panels, MG versions and so on, but the basic variants are the same.

Watch out if you buy used, either see it lit up, or get a cast iron guarantee the display doesn't have 'lines' of dead pixels. They can't be repaired (or at least no-one I know has ever managed).
Robs Pictures at :

Robs Car Gallery

click below to access nano website

Planning is an unnatural process, much better to just get on with things, that way failure comes as a complete surprise instead of being preceeded by a period of worry and doubt

Posted 26 Jan 2014, 09:28 #2 

DaveyC
Hi Rob,

I have a mint message centre from a 54 plate ZTT in am breaking. Its certainly has no lines on it. I have had it apart, fitted diesel MG faces and also fitted R75 chrome rings to finish off, as I think the original MG finish looks cheap / naff.

I have posted the unit of to MarinaBrian on the OC, who offered to "virginise" the clocks for me, for the costs of the return postage (very good of him I thought). He told me not to put them anywhere near the car until I had a T4 near it. I just wanted to know if it was basically anyone with a T4 that could program these to my ZTT Diesel. Or if there is a recommended T4 Guru close to Dudley who's services I could use?

Cheers,

Dave :-)

Posted 26 Jan 2014, 09:58 #3 

Duncan
What Rob said!

Posted 26 Jan 2014, 09:59 #4 

DaveyC
Basically it will be in the "new" state. So, can anyone with a T4 sort me out? Its just that Summit Garage is on my doorstep (literally lol) and I am assuming they have a T4 still, as they were ex MGR and still deal in used MGR's.

Posted 26 Jan 2014, 10:06 #5 

Duncan
Anyone with a T4 should be OK. I've only done one, at a Nano. I connected the T4 and it said the IPK needed to be reprogrammed, I said OK, and that was it.

Posted 26 Jan 2014, 16:34 #6 

DaveyC
Thanks Duncan. That sounds promising. I think I can wait until the Nano to get this done then. At this rate I'll have a whole new interior in my ZTT :-)

Posted 26 Jan 2014, 16:37 #7