Remember when... by raistlin

raistlin
... you could just phone up for a quote for an exhaust, tyres, battery etc? Happy days.

Today I tried to find out how much an exhaust might be for VeeKay. It used to be a simple task of a quick phone call, give car details and get a quote there and then.

I tried four online and six telephone outlets and in each case was required to give the car's details, as you'd expect but, out of a total of ten attempts to get a price I ended up with precisely one, the remainder refusing to give a quote until I'd "visited for a no obligation inspection" or words to that effect, also being asked for my e-mail address, facebook details, home and office addresses and home, office and mobile phone numbers as well.

In fact the idiot I spoke to at ATS told me that they couldn't quote without "inspecting" the car first as it was against elf & safety.

Is the whole of the UK retail sector one gigantic con and rip-off?

Mind you, the one quote I did get didn't fill me with confidence... £385, but that includes a FULL 12 month warranty - wow.

I've since found two websites which have actually given me a price but my god, what a bother!
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 29 May 2012, 18:03 #1 

kandyman
You should pop along to see your local powerflow dealer you could get a cat back stainless steel one for £300ish.

Remember my dual exit system, that cost me £450

Posted 29 May 2012, 18:39 #2 

Arctic
(Trader)
HI Paul.
I got my exahust at Mr tyre on Stafford Road, opposite Wikes on the way to Asda jeezze i feel like and advertising company giving out name :lol: anyways cost me £170 from cat to the rear 18 months warranty could be worth a call unless they were one of your 10 mind i did have to take it in no obligation to buy though also got my four wheel alignment done there £20 . Arctic
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 29 May 2012, 21:17 #3 

Last edited by Arctic on 13 Aug 2018, 21:14, edited 1 time in total.

raistlin
Thanks chaps :)
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 30 May 2012, 06:56 #4 

Trebor
I am afraid with the centralised phone centres customer service is no more and as you say they are more interested in getting your personal details than really listening to what your request is , I am sure we are all fed up with dialling a number and guessing which one of the 36 options has a human voice on the end , it's normally the cancellation section in my experience when they will talk to you when it's too late !
Robs Pictures at :

Robs Car Gallery

click below to access nano website

Planning is an unnatural process, much better to just get on with things, that way failure comes as a complete surprise instead of being preceeded by a period of worry and doubt

Posted 31 May 2012, 20:50 #5 

mark d3
hi paul got mine done in stainless from the cat back lifetime warranty as well all for £270
mark

Posted 10 Jun 2012, 08:54 #6