Non memory electric seats to memory by PaulT

PaulT
A car fitted with electric non memory seats – I presume they can be converted to memory seats.

Apart from the side panel and switch what else is required to carry out the conversion?

Thanks in advance
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 10 Jan 2012, 06:39 #1 

Duncan
The memory unit, wiring, and the motors need changing as they have position sensors in the memory version. I think a replacement seat frame would be the easiest, and put your trim onto it.

Posted 10 Jan 2012, 07:58 #2 

Dave
I have bought all the gubbins for changing my seats from non-memory to memory (sans side panel, as apparently you can fit the memory switch without needing this)

My big problem is fear of ripping the seat apart and then not being able to get it back together! So, unless I can find someone with experience who is willing to help me, then I may have to sell the bits on and simply search for a replacement seat. Or not bother.....

Posted 10 Jan 2012, 09:42 #3 

Bermudan 75
I am sure a nano-meet would sort you ok Dave.

Mike

Posted 10 Jan 2012, 09:48 #4 

Dave
Rover418275 wrote:I am sure a nano-meet would sort you ok Dave.

Mike

I'm sure you're right! (just think though, if it didn't go to plan.... ;) )

Posted 10 Jan 2012, 12:30 #5 

Bermudan 75
Dave wrote:
Rover418275 wrote:I am sure a nano-meet would sort you ok Dave.

Mike

I'm sure you're right! (just think though, if it didn't go to plan.... ;) )

That is when we bring out the hammer and chisel ! :shock:

Posted 10 Jan 2012, 12:58 #6 

Duncan

Can be done at a Nano.

This was early 2011, and we have done it before.

We were changing the covers over, and to be honest changing the motors and controllers is probably easier (Probably).

Posted 10 Jan 2012, 13:21 #7 

JakeWilson
Dave/Paul.

Recently had Martin (Mannie) over where we swapped green monaco covers from a bought interior onto an electric heated memory pair. Not an easy job but doable in a day.

Duncan is the source of knowledge on these as far as I am concerned, but happy to have a go for either of you when I am next back in the UK.

Have to say though, both of ours have memory on and we've never used it! :-D

Posted 10 Jan 2012, 14:34 #8 

MrB
JakeWilson wrote:Have to say though, both of ours have memory on and we've never used it! :-D

I guess the idea is you should only have to use it once.....

I have had memory on 2 of the 3 I've had, can't say I really miss it, but then I've not had anyone do any work on it yet. I'm 5'6" so the car rarely comes back with the seat anywhere near where I have it, so the memory was always handy. Jump in, press 1 and hey presto, where I always liked it :)
Chris
Member No. 143
Mods so far: LED sidelights, interior lights and number plate lamps, Rover Xenon Headlights, Kenlowe Fan, Synergy 2 and EGR Bypass

Posted 10 Jan 2012, 16:27 #9 

Last edited by MrB on 10 Jan 2012, 16:47, edited 1 time in total.

Dave
JakeWilson wrote:Not an easy job but doable in a day

Crikey! A day?! Maybe best if I do try to find a memory seat and just do a swap!

Posted 10 Jan 2012, 16:43 #10 

Dave
MrB wrote:and hey presto, where I always liked it :)

Gill is about 5" shorter than me, and when she's borrowed the car, it takes an age to get everything back to where I'm used to it. Plus she has the seat so far forward that it's physically difficult to get in!

Posted 10 Jan 2012, 16:44 #11 

Duncan
Covers is time consuming, but remember Jake will be talking a whole car. Just the drivers seat, and swapping out the three motors and wiring shouldn't be more than a couple of hours in my estimate. No need to swap the covers, just temporarily remove them along with the foams. It's taking the covers off the foams and putting them back on that's time consuming.

Posted 10 Jan 2012, 16:45 #12 

Dave
Still scary!

Posted 10 Jan 2012, 16:58 #13 

JakeWilson
Duncan wrote:Covers is time consuming, but remember Jake will be talking a whole car. Just the drivers seat, and swapping out the three motors and wiring shouldn't be more than a couple of hours in my estimate. No need to swap the covers, just temporarily remove them along with the foams. It's taking the covers off the foams and putting them back on that's time consuming.

Especially on earlier cars (ones with plastic panels on the back).

Posted 10 Jan 2012, 17:13 #14 

Dave
Guessing this applies to mine, as an '03....?

Posted 10 Jan 2012, 17:17 #15 

JakeWilson
Possibly Dave, I'm not too clued up on when seats changed etc.

A 75 seat should be easier to take the top sponge off as it's not got the bolsters to stretch over in theory. I've only done ZT seats in the past so can't say for certain.

Posted 10 Jan 2012, 17:24 #16 

Duncan
Once you've done a few rear covers, they are easier.

I can't say I found the top covers easier on either. The time consuming bit is removing the hog rings that hold the cover to the foam, and then replacing them. The later ones with the soft back have there own issues getting the top cover off as they are held in place with strings.

Posted 10 Jan 2012, 18:28 #17