Why when i click on a link do I leave the site? by takestock (Page 1 of 2)

takestock
Bugged me for a while now, any other site I am on, click on a link, automatically opens in a new link and I can close the link and come back to the site I was on.

When I do that here it opens in the same link and when I want to come back here it means I have to click on the back button ( sometimes many times before I am here). I know I could right click and open in new tab but you just don't do you. Then because of my age I forget which tab we are on and have no idea where we are :gmc:
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 18 Dec 2011, 12:41 #1 

geesmith
Strange arrangement. I've had a few minor issues of a similar nature but can't remember exactly what they were.
My use of the forum seems to be behaving predictably at present.

Maybe I should try clicking a link.. :)

Posted 18 Dec 2011, 12:47 #2 

takestock
doesn't do it on every link Glynn, the one in your sig opens in a new tab but some open in the same tab and there we are gone .... :(
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 18 Dec 2011, 12:52 #3 

geesmith
I just tried it out Dave. The one in my sig opens in a new tab as you say but the ones that open in the same tab only required a single back click today. I do know what you mean though. I've had similar. At one point a few days ago I was constantly 'signing' back in.

I'll comment here if it happens again.

Posted 18 Dec 2011, 13:40 #4 

Dave
I asked about this last year (see here - but don't forget to right click!)

I think it's to do with what version of phpBB the forum is using? (See here - but don't forget to right click!)

Posted 18 Dec 2011, 14:06 #5 

Jürgen
takestock wrote:Bugged me for a while now, any other site I am on, click on a link, automatically opens in a new link and I can close the link and come back to the site I was on.

When I do that here it opens in the same link and when I want to come back here it means I have to click on the back button ( sometimes many times before I am here). I know I could right click and open in new tab but you just don't do you. Then because of my age I forget which tab we are on and have no idea where we are :gmc:

:iagree:

Don't know for sure, but maybe it's just a tiny parameter within the depths of the forum software, which controls the behaviour of links inside of postings. Then it would be easy to change. But otherwise it could be more complicated and involve lots of work ...

So lets see what Simon will say. ;)

Posted 18 Dec 2011, 14:13 #6 

Mick
(Site Admin)
It has always been like this, may be Simon can adjust it.

Posted 18 Dec 2011, 14:18 #7 

Dave
My second link above may be able to help with any changes?

Posted 18 Dec 2011, 16:09 #8 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Thanks Dave I'll get Simon to look at it when he logs on.

Posted 18 Dec 2011, 16:32 #9 

James.uk
I find that when i read something, it vanishes! It only ever shows things I haven't read, but if I read everything, theres nothing to do here innit... Do'hhh

And this thread will vanish shortly coz I've read it innit.... ... *sighs* ....

Posted 18 Dec 2011, 18:03 #10 

Dave
Do you mean that if you click on a thread from "What's New" and then go back, the thread is gone?

This happens to me when using IE7, but oddly doesn't when using Firefox....

Posted 18 Dec 2011, 19:28 #11 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Bob, cryptic as ever, however.
That function works as set, what's new shows only topics you have not viewed once viewed they are removed from the list. If you require to see all new posts go to search/all new posts.

Posted 18 Dec 2011, 19:55 #12 

starbug2
:panic: :gmc: i agree with takestock,

Posted 19 Dec 2011, 05:28 #13 

SpongeBob
Now you may have been wondering why I haven't replied. It's (as Jürgen correctly guessed) the issue was a bit more involved than previously thought.

Well, now it's fixed. All external links in posts should open in a new tab/window yet those links pointing to within this site should keep you in the same tab/window. :)

Posted 21 Dec 2011, 23:05 #14 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Well done Simon, needed seeing to. :)

Posted 21 Dec 2011, 23:11 #15 

Dave
Yeh! Nice one!

Posted 21 Dec 2011, 23:18 #16 

takestock
Happy bunny for Christmas, Thanks Simon
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 22 Dec 2011, 07:12 #17 

Dave
takestock wrote:Happy bunny for Christmas

No turkey this year then? ;)

Posted 22 Dec 2011, 09:18 #18 

Jürgen
Thanks for bothering Simon :)

Posted 22 Dec 2011, 19:23 #19 

starbug2
Jürgen wrote:Thanks for bothering Simon :)

here here

Posted 24 Dec 2011, 15:42 #20