Engine undertray fasteners? by salop75

salop75
Hi,

I changed my oil and filter this morning, noticed that some of the undertray fasteners are not in the best of health.

I did a forum search and checked the part number topic with not luck, so...

Do any members know the part numbers for the undertray fixings, the screws and clips? or are they generic fasteners i could get from Halfords or a local motor factors?

Cheers,

John
<insert interesting/funny/ironic sig here>

Posted 26 Mar 2011, 16:29 #1 

Mick
(Site Admin)
http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-KZM000050 don't know if you can purchase elsewhere.

Parts thread now updated.

Posted 26 Mar 2011, 16:58 #2 

salop75
Mick,

Thanks for the link. It didn't occur to me to check the rimmers site.

The other part i believe i need is: Retainer-trim - Genuine MG Rover
Part No.: KZM000040 - I presume this part is the same for all fastening points on the undertray(the rear retainers are difficult to view)

Having fitted the tray back in place earlier today some of the fasteners seemed loose or worn, and having taken the car out for a spin down to the local tescos some of the fasteners failed, with a rather noisy result as the tray dragged along :) got lots of looks from the shoppers!

Posted 26 Mar 2011, 20:14 #3 

Mick
(Site Admin)
KZM000040 http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-GRID001766 are just for the four fixings on the leading edge, self tapping screws. All the rest are KZM000050. Whilst you are waiting, some cable ties will do the trick.

Posted 26 Mar 2011, 20:22 #4 

salop75
Hi,

Whilst the four front fixings are KZM0000050, are the clips that the remaining 6 captive self tappers on the undertray screw into also KZM0000050? (I will get under the car this week and take another look)

Cheers

John

Posted 27 Mar 2011, 21:06 #5 

Mick
(Site Admin)
The remaining six are not self tappers they are plastic 3/4 turn to lock. You may find that they just need a forceful push and turn to make the existing ones work. I't quite unusual for them to break.
Screen shot 2011-03-27 at 22.07.42.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Posted 27 Mar 2011, 21:13 #6 

salop75
Mick,

I think some of my confusion has come from the fact that my undertray doesn't have self tapping screws on the leading edge, it also has the metal turn/lock screws, as do the rest of the fittings.

You may well be right about giving them a forceful push. I have to work on the car in road, and even with axle stands there isn't much clearance to squeeze under the car, so its quite difficult to apply pressure to the screws - i must try harder :)

Cheers,

John

Posted 28 Mar 2011, 13:20 #7 

Arctic
(Trader)
Hi John.
I to found when removed my undertray to do various jobs that the fixing would not go back properly due to wear, so therefore change them all to self tappers which can be undone with a cordless screwdriver very quick when lying on your back under a car, i also used rubber tap washers to give good grip so the vibration would not shake them loose take a look below.

Image1

Image2

replace all the old fixings with new ones as in pic3/4/5
Image3

Image4

also fix along the leading edge of undertray.pic5
Image5

Fixed snugly pic6
Image6

Bolt self tapers for leading edge at front of car pic7/8
Image7

Image8