Folding or removing rear seats by Joseph

Joseph
Figured I would try this website after endless hours searching the old one with no real help.

One of the bolts used to hold the rear seats in place has broken, this has made it fail its MOT unfortunately.

Sorted all the other problems but this one seems a lot more difficult than first anticipated, I feel it would be much easier if I could actually get the seat out or down, then I could fix the bolt but because the person who bought it new didn't fork out for the folding rear seats I have no idea of how to get them out!

I have found a rope under the seat (I think one of the previous owners might have tied it around the pulley to get the seat down but after lots of pulling hard nothing happened)

So I need either a how to on getting the seat to fold down or being able to take it out.

Any help is appreciated!

Cheers,

Joseph.

Posted 05 Jul 2010, 12:08 #1 

MrB
Joseph

A quick search on Google revealed this http://forums.mg-rover.org/showthread.php?t=156918

Does this answer your query??

Chris
Chris
Member No. 143
Mods so far: LED sidelights, interior lights and number plate lamps, Rover Xenon Headlights, Kenlowe Fan, Synergy 2 and EGR Bypass

Posted 05 Jul 2010, 13:00 #2 

Joseph
Well I finally got the bottom cushions off, to my surprise, nothing to pull! Looked all over.

I have given up and just put some wood behind the seat between it and the metal frame with lots of "no more nails" on. Hoping for the best now.

Joseph.

Also if I saw that link sooner it would have probably saved me lots of time! Thank you for it though, save me effort in the future.

Posted 05 Jul 2010, 13:53 #3 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Interesting that the thread never got made into a How To, even though both Mike and I made several posts on it.

Posted 05 Jul 2010, 14:41 #4 

JohnDotCom
Another Know How? to be made for our collection.
John

"My lovely car now sold onto a very happy new owner.
I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 05 Jul 2010, 16:00 #5 

MrB
Joseph wrote:Well I finally got the bottom cushions off, to my surprise, nothing to pull! Looked all over.

One of the pictures shows the tapes from the boot area.

If you lift the carpet right behind the seat back, can you see them then?

What year is your car?
Chris
Member No. 143
Mods so far: LED sidelights, interior lights and number plate lamps, Rover Xenon Headlights, Kenlowe Fan, Synergy 2 and EGR Bypass

Posted 05 Jul 2010, 16:03 #6 

Joseph
MrB wrote:
Joseph wrote:Well I finally got the bottom cushions off, to my surprise, nothing to pull! Looked all over.

One of the pictures shows the tapes from the boot area.

If you lift the carpet right behind the seat back, can you see them then?

What year is your car?

V reg, 1999, I have looked there before but not very carefully, ill have another look soon although from now on I wont be able to get it down anyway. As long as it passes its MOT I'm happy.

The guides I found online are definitely better than the haines manual. And I thank everyone who contributed to writing them.

Joseph.

Posted 05 Jul 2010, 17:52 #7 

Duncan
The tapes are there, even on older cars.

I almost had a fail on the seat. On the non folding ones, if you pull the tapes to unclip them they don't always clip back. The spring can sometimes ride over the hook, instead of under it. So no matter how hard you try it won't clip back.

The trick is to find the tapes. Black, about 20mm wide. I would say you are more likely to find them from inside the boot. Take out the carpet, and have a good look at the very bottom, under the black card trim on the back. Then pull the tape down, and while pulled push the seatback into the clips. This will require two people, or magically long arms.

Posted 05 Jul 2010, 19:23 #8 

Joseph
Wouldn't clip back because the bolt that clips was actually broken (We pulled it forwards and could see from the boot that it had snapped on one end somehow)

Posted 05 Jul 2010, 19:26 #9 

Dallas
My two straps were tucked down under the bottom seat, simply pulled up and out. Looked the same as in the pics on .org 'how to'

Only thing was! when pushing the seat back the left side would not lock back in, the release bar seemed to move quite stiffly. With a few pushes on the rear seat the release bar popped out, simple fix though! it just pushes back in to its seating position.

What I did was to adjust the catch on the bulk head by moving it either up or down and re-tighten, pushed seat back and it locked in...... :cheers:

Not going to touch it again though, not unless I can find the back section of the seat with the two quick release buttons so to do a change over. :)

On a visit to a scrappy! I noticed on a 2004 model that the two straps were only a poor thin 10mm velvet material that looked like an off-cut from the seat edging :o was not the 20mm woven tougher stuff.................. would that be a Longbridge cost- cutting option because it sure looked like it.... :shock:

............... anyway! hope you get your all sorted.......

Posted 05 Jul 2010, 19:55 #10