Vapour trails by Dave

• Related topics: (no related topics)

Dave
Lots in the sky today, and seeming to sit there for ages as there's no wind

There was an odd one which seemed to be in a sort of "S" shape, almost like the plane had done a 90 degree turn shortly followed by another to get back on course

Also I noticed a plane flying in a huge circle at around 8:30, and he was still at it at around 11:00.... It was taking him about 15 mins to do a loop. I have no idea how fast he was going, but if it was say 240mph, the loop would have had a circumference of 60 miles. Wonder what he was up to? You can see the plane at around 9 o'clock position in the photo

Posted 16 Jan 2012, 12:15 #1 

Last edited by Dave on 16 Jan 2012, 19:19, edited 2 times in total.

Bermudan 75
looks like a practice run for the summer crop circles to be found in this farmers field....

Posted 16 Jan 2012, 12:28 #2 

Dave
That's a nice idea!

Posted 16 Jan 2012, 13:13 #3 

JohnDotCom
Most probably Holding pattern, or burning off of fuel.
John

"My lovely car now sold onto a very happy new owner.
I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 16 Jan 2012, 13:54 #4 

Dave
I don't think it's holding, as we are too far from a major airport plus too much RAF activity round here

If it's fuel, then it's a lot of fuel! He's there again now, which could mean he's still at whatever he's been at since 8:30 this morning (it's just that the trails aren't sticking now!)

Guessing it must be RAF as otherwise a bit dodgy round here....

Posted 16 Jan 2012, 14:08 #5 

Jürgen
Dave wrote:Wonder what he was up to?

There has been just one important task today. But nothing to worry about ...

... for the rest of us. Their order has been to spy on you. :mrgreen:

Posted 16 Jan 2012, 15:34 #6 

Dave
I should ask for your money back - they were at least 10 miles too far East!

Posted 16 Jan 2012, 16:04 #7 

Jürgen
Damn, I've told them to get it right this time or I would have to fire them.

So, anybody interested in an interesting job? ;)

Posted 16 Jan 2012, 16:09 #8 

Bermudan 75
Dave wrote:I should ask for your money back - they were at least 10 miles too far East!

Sounds as though the pilot could be a relative of the Costa Concordia Captain :roll:

Posted 16 Jan 2012, 16:47 #9 

podge
Looks like one of my managers trying to plan tomorows work load!!

Posted 16 Jan 2012, 17:50 #10 

Tootall
We had a plane doing the same thing over our part of Cambridgeshire this morning as well.
Ex-Longbridge track monkey.

Posted 16 Jan 2012, 18:57 #11 

Dave
Spooky

On "The Other Side" VVC-Geeza has seen them near Derby and Harry reckons he could see the same ones as me (from Leeds!)

Posted 16 Jan 2012, 19:04 #12 

Dave
Gill has just had a cracking idea!

Maybe there's not four, but five of them altogether, and they are practising for the Olympics, so when they all join up, there's five rings in the sky at the same time!

Posted 16 Jan 2012, 19:16 #13 

RichardGarner
Must be some exercises, prepping for policing the olympics maybe? Waddington has been alot more busy this past week, Typhoons flying with Tornados then going off to play. Also noticed the civvy traffic that normaly goes directly over head changing course to make room for the loopy aircraft. I'm half expecting a few Tornados to take off then fly full burner at around 200 feet (not that I believe that!!! ) over Washingborough again like they did a couple of months ago.

Posted 16 Jan 2012, 20:58 #14 

Dave
I now have an answer!

See here (my photo is better!) and also here

Posted 16 Jan 2012, 22:25 #15 

Tootall
Haha makes sense i suppose they are making sure the AWACS can cover most of the country in case of an attack during the Olympics.
Ex-Longbridge track monkey.

Posted 17 Jan 2012, 18:39 #16 

Borg Warner
Reminds me of something I saw many years ago while on an outbound course from school at Capel Curig in North Wales. A member of HM Forces RAF somehow managed to draw certain parts of the male anatomy. As you can appreciate a bunch of 13-15 year olds were absolutley shocked - not.

As others state probably practising for the patrols during the Olympics perhaps??

Posted 18 Jan 2012, 19:02 #17