Today's tale by raistlin

raistlin
If you follow my musings, you'll know that on more than one occasion, I've disqualified a driver in the morning Court, only to have the same individual returned in the afternoon Court for driving whilst disqualified because he or she has left the Court, gone to the car park across the road and driven off despite what they'd been told.

Today then, was something of a record.

At 10:15, we disqualified a woman from driving following an admission of guilt in the matter of careless driving and driving with excess alcohol. It was her fourth disqualification.

At 12:50, the same woman was brought up from the cells charged with driving whilst disqualified to which she pleaded guilty.

Apparently she had walked out of Court after her first hearing, and had got straight in her car, being stopped and arrested by the Police as she drove out of the car park. They took her to Bilston Street Police station where a charge was authorised and she was then returned to Court in custody.

At least she had the good grace to look shamefaced and via the duty solicitor, told us that she was supposed to be driving the family to Centre Parcs for two weeks this evening but would be able to get somebody else to drive and promised not to be so silly again.

The duty solicitor wasn't in the least surprised when I offered her alternative holiday accommodation at the State's expense. She, however, made it abundantly clear that she didn't think much of the offer, especially when I insisted.

That has to be something of a record :)

A Court order, by its very nature, HAS to have teeth but some people are so arrogant or so stupid that they find themselves the subject, as in this case, of a four month prison sentence. There also seems to be a somewhat misplaced faith in the urban myth that Courts are unwilling to hand down custodial sentences these days.
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 19 Jul 2013, 17:05 #1 

carlpenn
So she is in Prison now Paul? Hope so.......

Why are people so arrogant when it comes to Driving? My License is like a Precious Jewel to me, it has been tainted in the (far) past by stupid mistakes, of which I paid for, financially mostly :( But I learned and now make every effort to uphold the law in my Motoring everyday. Not just for me, but for those who drive around me as well.
Upgrades:

Fitted Electric Memory Seat, Leather Cubby Lid, Wood Dash, Message Centre.

Posted 19 Jul 2013, 22:59 #2 

raistlin
She is Carl.
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 20 Jul 2013, 09:53 #3