Tika Tika Timing by Jumper (Page 2 of 2)

• Related topics: (no related topics)

geesmith
Jumper wrote:If the object were faster than the speed of light , surely you would not be able to see it and you would not know if it got there. As you say, you can't see anything being faster than the S.of L.
Also, if you were in front of it, as it approached, you wouldn't see it coming and you wouldn't last very long.
Finally, if your two speeding objects were travelling parallel to each other, would they ever converge? If they have mass, infinite or otherwise, then they would presumably have gravity and eventually either collide in a star nursery or orbit each other (?).

Correct re gravity and mass. The lower 'projectile' was crushed. It all happened in a flash.
I just googled star nursery. It's in Chiltern. I hope they're aware of the theoretical risks. Perhaps a name change would be advisable.

Posted 12 Apr 2012, 15:42 #21 

Jumper
So there's a star nursery in Chiltern? I wonder if they do that new compost by Miraclegrow that mysteriously expands to three times its size.... I believe those bags are very, very, light.

Posted 12 Apr 2012, 19:05 #22 

Jumper
I'm sorry, I just fell of my chair. I can't keep up.

Posted 12 Apr 2012, 19:06 #23 

James.uk
Stars don't go to nursery's, they just arse about in movies innit.. :D

BTW Johny Tillotson did Tika Tika ..... :P lol...

Posted 14 Apr 2012, 02:18 #24 

Jumper
Hi James, please forgive if I come backatcha! I believe Jimmy Jones recorded 'Good Timing' in 1960, and, unfortunately, Johnny Tillotson did not! At least I don't think so. One of Mr. Tillotson's finest was 'Poetry in Motion' - a most memorable record for me personally because of a certain beautiful creature that came into my life whilst I was backing the vocals in a little band. Lasted 6 months and stayed with me for ever! We would have covered Good Timing but the vocal register just wasn't up to it! Of course I am always happy to be corrected; the mists of time are always swirling.

Posted 14 Apr 2012, 13:57 #25 

James.uk
No good coming back at me, I would be gone before you got here, I don't hang about.. lol.. :D

I don't remember any Jimmy Jones records, was he in your group? :D... I did Tika with our band, but then I could do all the platters numbers as well with the aid of a sharpened stick!! lol.. Voice is about an octave lower now though. That was back in the days when a guitar sounded like one, and distortion was frowned on.. :)

Posted 14 Apr 2012, 15:53 #26 

Jumper
That's what it was! I thought the line 'smoke gets in your eyes' was the result of a Lucky Strike, not a sharp stick. Yep, the only distortion was tremelo. Until some bright spark (a certain Mr Hendrix I think) shoved a screwdriver through a speaker cone.

Posted 14 Apr 2012, 17:49 #27 

James.uk
>>>a certain beautiful creature that came into my life <<<
Was her name Nell? A cute lil girl from Iceland???? ;) lmho....

Posted 15 Apr 2012, 17:56 #28 

geesmith
..wasn't it Dave Davis of the Konks that poked his speaker cone?

My roof is a leakin and the rain's fallin on my head
drip drip, drippity drop...

Posted 22 Apr 2012, 15:56 #29 

Jumper
Might have been.

Dave Davis poked many things I'm told.
One or two were shy, and some were oh so bold.
But of all the things he poked I've often wondered why
He had to go and poke his brother in the eye.

Posted 22 Apr 2012, 22:19 #30 

geesmith
Ray and Dave fighting like a hurricane.
Dave battered Rays eyeballs again and again
Their biggun takes blows rained upon his big jaw
But Ray's got tough eyeballs and he comes back for more
Light goes on at the speed of light
Light goes on and on...
... ... ... ... Anon.

Posted 23 Apr 2012, 17:15 #31 

Jumper
Great, full circle!

Posted 23 Apr 2012, 18:08 #32 

geesmith
Nice clock. Is it a wind-up?

Posted 23 Apr 2012, 18:13 #33 

Jumper
Of course not, I meant it. No,seriously, it is a winder. Signed Kendall & Dent, London (probably the retailer). We think it's about 1934 although it has wood decorative panels which make it look a bit like a sarcophagus. We are A/D crazy and the clock sits very well in the dining room amongst period pieces. So that's official now. I'm 80 years behind the times.

Posted 23 Apr 2012, 18:26 #34 

geesmith
I've been through an Art Deco phase along with my brothers in law. One of my brothers in law had lots of bakerlite items in boxes in our loft until recently. The other brother was more of a lady supporting a lampshade fetishist.
I had lots of faux A/D like fret cut sunrise fronts on my hifi speakers. :)
That clock by Kendall & Mint takes the cake, it's super.

Posted 23 Apr 2012, 18:45 #35 

Jumper
Thanks for that. I retired from my business three years ago (stained glass artist and leaded lights) making modern replacements and refurbs from all periods. By far the most work was for A/D picture windows (Tiffany, Chagall etc) and the like and most of my students showed the same interests. They all seemed to want to make a sun-rise window!

Posted 23 Apr 2012, 23:20 #36 

geesmith
Aha! That makes me normal and predictable. I also had a friend that did stained glass.

Posted 24 Apr 2012, 00:06 #37