Thieving scumbags by raistlin

raistlin
Went to get some fuel today from the local garage, only to find that it had gone up 3.5p per litre.

Suspicious as I am, before filling up, I went and enquired about the sudden increase in cost. Guess what I was told?

"It's gone up because we're coming out of Europe".

I'll wait and get my fuel from Sainsburys tomorrow.
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 25 Jun 2016, 17:53 #1 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Not quite well informed, dare I say. :)

This was mooted a couple of days ago. Due to the fall in the pound, there would be an increase of said amount as oil bought in dollars. Only new stocks though, most retailers will be on the existing price until they have to replenish stocks.
If the pound recovers then this will be just a blip, or will it?.
I'm sure you already know this. If I come across the article again I'll link it for others.

Posted 25 Jun 2016, 19:15 #2 

raistlin
Yes, aware of that Mick, which made it so annoying that they'd clearly hiked their prices less than 24 hours after the result of the Referendum was known, well before any movement on the markets could have filtered through.
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 25 Jun 2016, 21:01 #3 

Dave
I'm sure it would have gone up if we'd stayed in too.... :(

Posted 25 Jun 2016, 22:17 #4 

PaulT
Heads we win. tails you lose.
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 26 Jun 2016, 12:10 #5 

Bernard
I have a little bit of sympathy for the small business forecourt owner. The retailer's margin on fuel is tiny but the killer is that he has to pay upfront for the fuel and that's a lot of money. A friend of mine was driven out of the road fuel business because of this, he only made a profit if someone bought a Mars bar with his petrol purchase. Extortionate Business rates, high insurance, unpaid tax collection and overheads generally made it unsustainable.

Posted 26 Jun 2016, 13:35 #6