The quest for guidance by raistlin

• Related topics: (no related topics)

raistlin
I've raised this point before but now it has become something of a quest for me.

That is, what can be done to assist in lining up your car centrally prior to entering a garage threshold of limited width?

I have laser markers within the garage so I always stop in the right place but, because the front wings of my car (not being a Rover 75 or MGZT) disappear from line of sight, I'm always nervous with regard to placing the car central to the garage entrance before the front wings get anywhere near the garage entrance itself.

So far, the best solution has been another laser marker, attached to the up and over door, giving accurate centre-line guidance. The only problem with that is the fact that these laser markers only last 24 hours on a battery and, because the marker moves with the door, I am unable to connect it to a permanent supply from a transformer as I do with the fixed laser marker inside the garage.

The detection range of these markers is such that I can't fit one within the garage as it doesn't detect the car and switch on until the front of the car is over the threshold.

I've tried using a ribbon hanging from the edge of the garage door but, of course, the slightest breeze blows it all over the place.

Any clever ideas gratefully received. Thank you. :-D
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 27 Dec 2015, 20:31 #1 

Bernard
I've posted on the Enthusiasts' site about 3 tubes set up horizontally on the far wall of the garage. Each tube having a light mounted at the far end such that there is a very limited angle of visibility and the centre lamp only visible if you are dead in line. The others set so that you know if you are to the right or left.
That's pretty much as I have said over there but in different words. (But not necessarily in the right order, boom, boom)

Posted 27 Dec 2015, 21:38 #2 

Gren 24
An Old Chap I know who had a Small garage that the car just fitted through. He got an old car tyre cut two strips of it lined his car up then stuck the strips down, he then know when he was inside those strips he was safe to drive the car in and he could feel if he touched the strips. Just had to remember not to trip over them when he came out. It work a treat for him

Posted 27 Dec 2015, 21:53 #3 

Borg Warner
Once in mark up the garage floor with chalk or something similar either side of both wheels, reverse car out and the fix strips of timber on the markers. On the entrance to the strips angle some more strips so as to guide the wheels to where you want to be.

This is what I mean, bit crude.

Garage.pptx

Gary M

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Posted 27 Dec 2015, 23:40 #4 

Arctic
(Trader)
how about small convex safety mirrors one either side in the garage angled so you can see the frame at all times, and a marker on the side wall which matches up to the mirror, so as not to go to far in and catch the front of the car.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw= ... r&_sacat=0
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 28 Dec 2015, 02:25 #5 

raistlin
Gary, the laser markers take care of the car within the garage but thanks for the idea :)

Steve, that idea is well worth looking at. Thanks :)
Paul

Posted 28 Dec 2015, 08:02 #6 

Arctic
(Trader)
raistlin wrote:Gary, the laser markers take care of the car within the garage but thanks for the idea :)

Steve, that idea is well worth looking at. Thanks :)

Paul you may only need one ? in the centre of the garage these can be fitted to a flat wall, also 40cm which is quite big really 16" therefore one may cover both sides
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 28 Dec 2015, 10:18 #7 

MrDoodles
I've always thought that a tennis ball suspended from the ceiling, so that it touches the windscreen just behind the rear view mirror when the car is perfectly positioned, takes a lot of beating! ;)

Posted 28 Dec 2015, 19:56 #8 

Mad-Monkey
How much clearance either side do you have?

Posted 29 Dec 2015, 14:45 #9 

raistlin
Mad-Monkey wrote:How much clearance either side do you have?

70mm approx David
Paul

Posted 29 Dec 2015, 14:53 #10 

Mad-Monkey
http://www.gearbest.com/development-boa ... Aulr8P8HAQ

Anything like that with some simple LED (Light Emitting Diode) lights? Red for too close, Green for good?

Posted 30 Dec 2015, 11:19 #11 

raistlin
Thanks David,

Problem now solved :)
Paul

Posted 30 Dec 2015, 11:27 #12