Temp gauge not working by moretvicar

moretvicar
The temp gauge needle on my CDT does not move off the stop. The red light on the gauge comes on with ignition, then goes out when running. I have replaced the sensor to no avail. Fuses ok.
Ta
Nick

Posted 25 Aug 2011, 06:10 #1 

Duncan
Have a search for the instrument pack diagnostics (on here somewhere, maybe someone can post a link?). It can do a self test on all the lights and dials. That will tell you if it's a problem with the pack itself, as a start.

Posted 25 Aug 2011, 06:52 #2 

Mick
(Site Admin)
obc-diagnostics-via-ipk.html

2.02 is the IPK (Instrument pack (IPK from the German)) dial function test.

Posted 25 Aug 2011, 09:46 #3 

moretvicar
Thanks both - ran the check and temp gauge kicks up.
What are my options now?

Posted 28 Aug 2011, 07:53 #4 

takestock
Have you checked if the actual engine water temp is showing on the IPK digital readout?
diagnostics 19 to unlock as before but then carry on to 7.0
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 28 Aug 2011, 19:56 #5 

moretvicar
Just done that - reads 70.

Posted 29 Aug 2011, 12:38 #6 

takestock
Needs to go onto a T4 (Testbook version 4.Computer Diagnostic System) me thinks. as I understand it you have now established that the temp sender is sending a signal that is picked up by the On Board diagnostics but not being shown by the gauge. 70 is low but the gauge should move to around the 1/4 position. my understanding is the signal/info is carried by the kbus and this is reaching the diagnostics. Maybe an IPK fault. Sure Duncan or The Monk can add some input into this?
T4 should tell you
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 29 Aug 2011, 14:21 #7 

JohnDotCom
If that is after running up to temperature (10 to 12 minutes on a cold day, or a few mile run)it sounds as if your thermostat has had it.
John

"My lovely car now sold onto a very happy new owner.
I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 29 Aug 2011, 14:22 #8 

moretvicar
This was on returning home after a six mile trip.
What is a T4?

Posted 29 Aug 2011, 15:55 #9 

takestock
As JDC says the t'stat is on the cold side and may need attention, should run around 88. This is not the cause of the none movement in this instance in my opinion, a temp of 70deg should register on the gauge. your complaint its the gauge does not register at all? We are assuming you are getting some amount of heat out if the cabin heater.

A T4 is the dedicated diagnostics interface used to talk to our cars. Cost around £4k to £5k new. Both the Monk and Duncan own these, depending on there you are in the country would depend on who to contact next. If you are near Wolverhampton on week end 17th Sept we could have some really good news for you.
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 29 Aug 2011, 16:40 #10 

moretvicar
Yes there is some warmth from the heater - I did think one chilly morning on the way in to work that it was taking a while to warm up.
I am in Hereford - not too far from Wolverhampton.

Saw the car that made me want a 75 in the first place on tv this afternoon _ DI Barnaby's!

After owning the same Mondeo for five years and hardly ever needing to lay a spanner on it, the last couple of weeks have been somewhat of an eye-opener!!!

Posted 29 Aug 2011, 18:11 #11 

takestock
Right,

Get this in your diary and see if you can make one of the days, :)( your more than welcome for the whole weekend)

its-that-nano-meet-thing-again-16-18-september-t4023.html

The meets are organised to help people with their cars, there is no charge. Wifes and kids come along too. :) There will be at least one T4 present on the day, probably two. Sat night is a superb chance to get to know everyone and some of the foolish, sorry, adventurous ones even camp there. (Some of us scurry off to local B&B on the sat night).

Early birds arrive Friday evening and stay two nights.

Wife and i will be there early sat morning through to Sunday afternoon

Hopefully see you there

Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 29 Aug 2011, 18:40 #12 

Duncan
moretvicar wrote:Yes there is some warmth from the heater - I did think one chilly morning on the way in to work that it was taking a while to warm up.
I am in Hereford - not too far from Wolverhampton.

well there should be a couple of T4s there so try to come along.

Saw the car that made me want a 75 in the first place on tv this afternoon _ DI Barnaby's!

now owned by one of the regulars on the forums. Cowley_MOA on this one....
After owning the same Mondeo for five years and hardly ever needing to lay a spanner on it, the last couple of weeks have been somewhat of an eye-opener!!!

Looking at this forum may make you think the cars are really unreliable. However a lot of things are preventative maintenance or improvements. Your temp gauge problem is a new one but we should be able to get to the bottom of it.

It may still be a simple problem. Often if the sensor fails, the control unit (ECU (Engine Control Unit)) will assume a value, so your 70 degress reading may still be a simple sensor or wiring problem.

Posted 29 Aug 2011, 19:37 #13 

takestock
You see moretvicar, santa does exist :D :D :D
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 29 Aug 2011, 19:42 #14 

moretvicar
Thank you all - will definitely try to make the Saturday!

Duncan - it's not looking at his forum that makes me a spanner wielding maniac!
It's the fact that my cat seems to have all the common faults.... :-(

Admittedly I got it very cheap, seems there was a reason for that.
And while it's true that it is a long, long time since I did so much work on a car, conversely, I have never owned a car (in thirty odd years of motoring), that made me want to work on it so much! :-)
Nick

Posted 06 Sep 2011, 13:39 #15