Talk me in/out - LAST CHANCE BEFORE CONCEDING HGF??? by Tourerfogey (Page 1 of 2)

Tourerfogey
. . . getting rid over the Tourer.

Facts:

Head gasket done 6000 miles ago with recommended uprated parts.

Car has been overheating for the past fortnight and 'bubbling' in the heater at start up.

Established that radiator wasn't getting warm but engine was (very).

Replaced thermostat - what a pig of a job that was due to its location.

Car seemed ok for a couple of days.

Now losing coolant from the rear end of the engine but only occasionally (!?!). Have checked all pipes etc in that location and all seem ok. Appears that leakage is possibly coming from head gasket . . . but haven't positively identified that yet.

So, if the head gasket has gone again it's pretty obvious that the uprated parts haven't done their job so the conclusion is that there is is not a definitive cure for this particular K series problem.

So is now the time (after 15 years of consecutive Rover ownership) to cut my losses and change my brand allegiance?

Personally, I think it is the only sensible thing to do.

Posted 30 Jan 2011, 22:39 #1 

Last edited by Tourerfogey on 12 Feb 2011, 14:59, edited 5 times in total.

JohnDotCom
Or get yourself a nice Diesel Tourer.
You must do what you think best for you, when the new MLS (Multi Layer Steel Gasket) gaskets and oil rail and new bolts are fitted haven't heard of one failing till this, but hopefully not.
Whatever end result make sure you stick around the Community marque or not, always welcome here Basil.
John

"My lovely car now sold onto a very happy new owner.
I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 30 Jan 2011, 23:09 #2 

JakeWilson
Hi Basil,

Sorry to hear of your misfortune. :-(

My thoughts follow Johns - diesel tourer - had 2 now and no regrets what so ever.

However equally head must rule heart. But do please stay - your posts are the source of much entertainment.

Best,

Jake

Posted 30 Jan 2011, 23:14 #3 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Sorry to hear this TF. Uprated kit or not if the engine gets too hot the head could warp causing apparent HGF (Head Gasket Failure). You don't need telling, source of water leak and or pump failure possibly.

Posted 30 Jan 2011, 23:23 #4 

James.uk
Get the head repaired, then decide on your next move..

My advice would be to part ex your car for a 75 Diesel estate.. You wont get a better car for the same money.. :D

Posted 30 Jan 2011, 23:25 #5 

takestock
Bugger off yer moaning old Git........... :lol:

Seriously Trevor, the decision is yours and only yours, pound for pound you will not get the standards you are used to with any other marque. A good diesel is a good choice but it is finding a good one. If you can, get somebody who has one to track one down with you and make a decision after you have had a look together.

Hope you do stay around whatever you decide. :)
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 31 Jan 2011, 08:16 #6 

Tourerfogey
Thank you for your thoughts Gents :)

Right, Ive booked the old bus in to see Mike the Mechanic on Friday -they will carry out a coolant system check and pressure test and report back. Have no choice but to limp around locally in the meantime though . . .

Talking to Mike's men this morning, they are well aware of the need to use the MLS gasket / oil rail kit and indeed expressed some surprise that I was having trouble again if these parts were used last time when the job was done at the main dealers . . .

Will be interesting to see what they discover.

However, my head (the one on top of my shoulders, not the one on the car) still says get rid and buy something else (2 year old new style Citroen C5 estate or 5 year old Merc C class are favoured options at the moment) but my heart really doesn't want to part with the Rover as yes, in spite of all my reservations and statements to the contrary in the past, it does give the impression of being something just a little bit different and special.

The truth is of course that the old bus is probably worth more in parts than as a whole (£200 for the walnut wheel, £250 for the rear screen alone) but I'm not sure I'd want to break it even if I do buy something else.

Guess, it's wait 'till Friday and see what happens :?

Posted 31 Jan 2011, 14:51 #7 

JakeWilson
If you decided to go diesel tourer - there are some nice looking ones about:

View eBay item 270699566782

View eBay item 120678439319

Posted 31 Jan 2011, 15:18 #8 

Pete
I've no complaints about my CDT, and I tow a caravan :o (is that allowed on here?!?)
Also, the fuel economy on long runs is highly satisfying (I regularly used to get a real 60MPG Nott'm to Coventry and back).

OK there are niggles specific to the diesel (MAF (Mass Air Flow Sensor), in-tank pump, cam sensor), but they're all easily fixed if necessary.

MAF --> Fit Pierburgh MAF + RoverRon MAFAM box.

In-tank pump --> New inserts are now available, no need to replace the whole assembly. Don't run the tank dry and it'll last and last...(in my experience).

Cam sensor --> Personally not experienced this one, but I'm told it's an easy fix (just change the sensor).

..and anyway, what on earth would you buy that would come close in terms of comfort and luxury? I had that decision in 2001: Passat or 75? You know it makes sense...

HTH, Pete.

Final comment: FIBREGLASS SHED?! :roll:

Posted 31 Jan 2011, 15:45 #9 

Mick
(Site Admin)
No need to apologise for towing a caravan Pete. :D :D

Posted 31 Jan 2011, 16:48 #10 

Pete
Actually Mick, I think I've spotted a bug in the website:

When I type the word "c a r a v a n", it displays fibreglass shed. Can't see the connection :confused:

Posted 31 Jan 2011, 18:22 #11 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Pete wrote:Actually Mick, I think I've spotted a bug in the website:

When I type the word "c a r a v a n", it displays fibreglass shed. Can't see the connection :confused:

I can sell you a pair of spectacles, only slightly used. Do think they might help? :D

Posted 31 Jan 2011, 18:34 #12 

Pete
Ahh, of course...

I've put my special glasses on now. Yes, that's better. Thanks Mick. :thumbsup:

Oh, wait a minute, now when I type "1.8 K series" I see "HGF".

Back to original thread I think, more by luck than judgement...
:gmc:

Posted 31 Jan 2011, 18:57 #13 

Jürgen
Tourerfogey wrote:. . . getting rid over the Tourer. [...]

Looks like a difficult decision to me, TF. So I don't envy you.

If it gets extraordinary expensive to keep the car, then it's quite reasonable to sell and look for a decent replacement. But if the bills are accumulating slowly, but steadily, how to determine the right time to stop? Buying another car will bring some uncertainty, as you won't know all about its history, whatever the make.

With a special car like the 75 it's getting even a bit more complicated, because emotions get involved.

Maybe you're lucky and it's nothing expensive this time. So you can delay the decision to change cars for some time.

Posted 31 Jan 2011, 19:41 #14 

calibrax
Must admit, with my recent engine issues I'd been thinking about what to have as my next car, and the Mercedes CLK270 diesel coupe is the likely preference.

But having been out of my ZT for just two weeks and then getting her back running perfectly has made me realise that I really don't want to change my car at all. The Insignia I had for those 2 weeks was a nice enough car, but it just didn't have any character at all. And I think that applies to most cars these days.

I know at some point I'll have no choice but to change. But for now, I'm sticking with my ZT. Yes, recently she's been high maintenance, and she's cost me a fair bit of cash... but hell, she's a beauty, and she's all mine. :D

My advice? stick with it. Or at least stick with the marque. Nothing else compares.
Steve

2004 MG ZT+ CDTi 135

Posted 31 Jan 2011, 19:47 #15 

JohnDotCom
I know at some point I'll have no choice but to change. But for now, I'm sticking with my ZT. Yes, recently she's been high maintenance, and she's cost me a fair bit of cash... but hell, she's a beauty, and she's all mine.

Sounds like the Wife. :D :gmc:
John

"My lovely car now sold onto a very happy new owner.
I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 31 Jan 2011, 20:17 #16 

Dallas
Tourerfogey wrote:Thank you for your thoughts Gents :)
5 year old Merc C class are favoured

I actually looked at a Merc C class yesterday, while just passing and thought 'very nice' :D the wife soon dragged me away and my 75 gave me the filthiest look when I walked up to her...... I felt so guilty. :lol: :hail:

Stick with it chap, I hope its not to much of a wallet cruncher.....

Posted 31 Jan 2011, 22:06 #17 

Tourerfogey
My Tourer banger goes to the garage in the morning for a diagnosis . . . and today I viewed a rather tasty 07 C Class estate . . .

Posted 03 Feb 2011, 22:42 #18 

Zeb
Tourerfogey wrote:My Tourer banger goes to the garage in the morning for a diagnosis . . . and today I viewed a rather tasty 07 C Class estate . . .

I am sure it was rather tasty.....

Me? I think you'll be bored with it inside a few months...nowt to do to the thing see... :roll:

Posted 04 Feb 2011, 15:06 #19 

Mad-Monkey
I was initially tempted by the C class, then test drove the E class and bought it... I've not looked back to be honest. I miss the ZT but wouldn't swap back, or maybe I will when its time to trade in... :)

Posted 04 Feb 2011, 15:12 #20