T4 options... by Mad-Monkey

Mad-Monkey
I always notice a couple of members sign up to the forums and ask about what options are available through the use of a T4 (Testbook version 4.Computer Diagnostic System). This is usually followed by "how much?" and then followed by "£40 for 15mins work!!?!? :shock: " or something very similiar!

So just wanted some feedback on a relatively obvious, simple idea that may or may not be of interest. I was going to place a classified on eBay (as its free :mrgreen: ) offering options to be configured on the cars. No fault finding, diagnostics etc... just options. Obviously if they wanted a read of the fault codes and a diagnostic report I can do it as extra.

I was going to charge £6 for changing the options and then I can go through each option, explain it, and if they want it on or off. If anything further is required I can do it but they'd have to pay more.

Do you reckon anyone would go for this? Too expensive for just options? I don't think there are any members round here with a T4 so won't tread on any toes.

Options available are of course...

Daytime running lamps on or off
Speed locking on or off
Lazy lock and vent (using the door key not the fob) on or off
Single point entry (one press to open drivers door, second press for rest)
Headlamp delay on or off
Tail lamp delay on or off
Number plate lamp delay on or off
Intelligent wipe (wiper speed goes down a notch under 5 mph) on or off
Programed wash wipe (no program or 2,3 or 4 wipes)
One shot down on or off
One shot up on or off (drivers window only with 4 electric windows)
Bathrobe locking (car can be locked from outside with engine running

Posted 16 Jun 2010, 09:47 #1 

mel dawson
Hi Monk,
Yes a very good idea & price,If your ever in devon let me know.

Cheers Mel :fosg:

Posted 16 Jun 2010, 11:56 #2 

JohnDotCom
The only person other then Garages etc in this Community I believe that have a T4 is Russ (aka Big Russ).
He is Yorkshire way but does the whole session thing for members on here at very good rates.

Not sure about individual pricing for items switched on/off,
it generally leads to can you check any fault codes while connected and before you know it........................
But give it a go to see how it goes. :)
John

"My lovely car now sold onto a very happy new owner.
I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 16 Jun 2010, 13:29 #3 

Mad-Monkey
Cheers chaps! :)

I did think that JDC and I dont mind, whilst they have the cash handy of course. It just seemed sometimes people only ever wanted options changing and dont want to splash out a full fee for the privilege. As soon as it becomes fault finding, ECU (Engine Control Unit) changing/upgrades etc... its full price!

Posted 16 Jun 2010, 14:01 #4 

raistlin
Monk wrote: As soon as it becomes fault finding, ECU changing/upgrades etc... its full price!

Not at the nano-meets I assume David? :o
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 16 Jun 2010, 14:20 #5 

Russ
(Trader)
£6 is a very good price and ideal for those owners who only want that doing. I think it's a very fair price and reflects the little amount of work involved in altering the options if all is well with the car.

As John says before you know it though it'll be while your there ........

However the only other pitfall that I can foresee is the amount of cars that I've frequently come across that won't allow you to write the changes for the options to the ZCS codes without other things being done first. On some cars before I've managed to alter the options it's taken me over an hour to get the car to a point where it'll accept the codes, 1.8's can be particularly problematic as re-writing to the Mems3 can be painfully slow. ;)

That's why I charge per session however long it takes, (usually about an hour but often more) whilst I do a complete diagnostic check, clear fault codes and explain everything found to the customer and then enable the options, for cars that I've previously done I don't re-charge for re-altering options or re-checking on previously identified faults.

See how it goes :D

Russ
Full T4 diagnostics, options enabled and disabled p.m for details

Posted 16 Jun 2010, 14:30 #6 

Mad-Monkey
raistlin wrote:
Monk wrote: As soon as it becomes fault finding, ECU changing/upgrades etc... its full price!

Its twice the price at the nano-meets Paul!! :mrgreen: Same agreement as always at the nano-meet Paul, everybody is expected to chip in where possible, and the T4 is my opportunity to chip in. Members usually only ever want a quick read of fault codes and a few options changing, I'm more than happy to carry on doing that, and a bit more for the usual crew.

Summer is usually very quiet at work so just looking to occupy myself and if it get a few extra pennies to spend on the car, and I'll be happy.

Posted 16 Jun 2010, 15:42 #7 

Last edited by Mad-Monkey on 16 Jun 2010, 15:46, edited 1 time in total.

Mad-Monkey
Russ wrote:£6 is a very good price and ideal for those owners who only want that doing. I think it's a very fair price and reflects the little amount of work involved in altering the options if all is well with the car.

As John says before you know it though it'll be while your there ........

However the only other pitfall that I can foresee is the amount of cars that I've frequently come across that won't allow you to write the changes for the options to the ZCS codes without other things being done first. On some cars before I've managed to alter the options it's taken me over an hour to get the car to a point where it'll accept the codes, 1.8's can be particularly problematic as re-writing to the Mems3 can be painfully slow. ;)

That's why I charge per session however long it takes, (usually about an hour but often more) whilst I do a complete diagnostic check, clear fault codes and explain everything found to the customer and then enable the options, for cars that I've previously done I don't re-charge for re-altering options or re-checking on previously identified faults.

See how it goes :D

Russ

Might advertise from £6 - max cost £x or something then, with some details explaining. A few T&C's to have a think about to put in the ad just to let people know.

Posted 16 Jun 2010, 15:45 #8 

raistlin
Monk wrote:
raistlin wrote:

Its twice the price at the nano-meets Paul!! :mrgreen: Same agreement as always at the nano-meet Paul, everybody is expected to chip in where possible, and the T4 is my opportunity to chip in. Members usually only ever want a quick read of fault codes and a few options changing, I'm more than happy to carry on doing that, and a bit more for the usual crew.

Summer is usually very quiet at work so just looking to occupy myself and if it get a few extra pennies to spend on the car, and I'll be happy.

So, my pulse rate can go back to normal now then ;)
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 16 Jun 2010, 16:59 #9