Synergy2's Maf's etc. by Russ

Russ
(Trader)
A couple of years ago when I fitted my Synergy and before getting the T4 (Testbook version 4.Computer Diagnostic System), I like many others thought that my maf was likely to be out of spec, so when I fitted it I put the mafam switch to on and in conjunction with the tuning section on and set to number 3 (high tune and low mafam) it was a vast improvement and left it as it was, even after the re-map to 135.

Recently I've been getting a lot less miles to the gallon and it's not been as keen at lower revs.
Time to investigate it I thought, so hooked up the T4 and had a firstly had a look at the maf with the Mafam switched off.

Guess what........ bang on spec throughout the rev range.

Now with today's findings and those recently on Jon's car I think it's maybe a good idea to have the maf checked out properly and the Synergy set up to suit if the maf has indeed deteriorated.

Guessing that it's out of spec is either going to waste money on fuel by having too much mafam, or indeed by replacing the maf thinking that it's out of spec.

Let's face it they all are aren't they............not necessarily ;)

Russ
Full T4 diagnostics, options enabled and disabled p.m for details

Posted 17 Jun 2010, 15:12 #1 

MrB
Russ wrote:A couple of years ago when I fitted my Synergy and before getting the T4, I like many others thought that my maf was likely to be out of spec, so when I fitted it I put the mafam switch to on and in conjunction with the tuning section on and set to number 3 (high tune and low mafam) it was a vast improvement and left it as it was, even after the re-map to 135.

Recently I've been getting a lot less miles to the gallon and it's not been as keen at lower revs.
Time to investigate it I thought, so hooked up the T4 and had a firstly had a look at the maf with the Mafam switched off.

Guess what........ bang on spec throughout the rev range.

Now with today's findings and those recently on Jon's car I think it's maybe a good idea to have the maf checked out properly and the Synergy set up to suit if the maf has indeed deteriorated.

Guessing that it's out of spec is either going to waste money on fuel by having too much mafam, or indeed by replacing the maf thinking that it's out of spec.

Let's face it they all are aren't they............not necessarily ;)

Russ

The MAF (Mass Air Flow Sensor) does seem to get a bit of a bad press when it comes to a poor performing engine. Your recent findings would seem to indicate its not always the first thing you should blame / look at. :confused:
Chris
Member No. 143
Mods so far: LED sidelights, interior lights and number plate lamps, Rover Xenon Headlights, Kenlowe Fan, Synergy 2 and EGR Bypass

Posted 17 Jun 2010, 17:30 #2 

James.uk
Without a T4 we have no way of knowing, so people tend to assume their MAF is worn because it's been in for a while.

But as Russ said, it may be perfectly OK, as in fact, mine seems to be.. But note the "seems to be" do I need my Synergy MAF on at all? :confused:

At the moment it's on low, tuner on 3, but need the MAF be on at all?? :confused:

Does the Synergy work with the MAF turned off, and if so, on what setting? :confused: :4:

Note:- since dropping the Synergy from 6 to 3 the amount of soot on the rear bumper has reduced.. Not done enough miles to check MPG yet though, when I have I will report back.

Posted 17 Jun 2010, 18:01 #3 

jonjon77
hi james,as far as l know you only need it switch on if you have a pierburg maf fitted

Posted 17 Jun 2010, 18:31 #4 

James.uk
Hi JonJon, my MAFMAF ;) is a Bosch. So will the Synergy2 work if I turn the MAF off?

If so, on what settings? :confused:

Posted 17 Jun 2010, 21:24 #5 

JohnDotCom
If you have a new or not very old Bosch MAF you can turn off the Mafam section of your Synergy box.
Then just use the power settings as required.

There are three different versions of the Synergy box and settings out there so please refer to the details supplied with Synergy when obtained from Ron.

If you have a Pierburg MAF then yes it always has to be turned on, try the lower settings first for the Mafam section.
To high a setting for any MAF will over-fuel giving you poorer MPG and more smoke.
John

"My lovely car now sold onto a very happy new owner.
I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 17 Jun 2010, 21:29 #6