Spring? Yes or No? by Bermudan 75 (Page 1 of 2)

Bermudan 75
Although the sun is shining this morning is it Spring? According to the Met Office it started yesterday, the first of March. I look at my calendar and it says March 20 Spring Equinox, which for hundreds of years has been the first day of Spring. So why does the Met Office say it is the 1st of March? Because they are a member of the WMO (World Meteorological Organisation) part of yet another faceless bureaucratic, talking shop, the UN.

In my book we have only another 17 days left of Winter and proof of this is that the first Wolves Nano-meet of 2013 is on the 24th March, the first Spring weekend of 2013, can't get more authoritive than that. :thumbsup:

Mike

Posted 02 Mar 2013, 09:10 #1 

Freefromenvy
I'm with you on this. March 1st is not and never has been first day of spring.The vernal equinox does not need changing. It has served us well for ever:)

Posted 02 Mar 2013, 10:12 #2 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Yes but, only because my crocuses have poked their little heads above ground. :D Now't to do with dates, calendar or edible.

Posted 02 Mar 2013, 11:14 #3 

Bermudan 75
Mick wrote:Yes but, only because my crocuses have poked their little heads above ground. :D Now't to do with dates, calendar or edible.

Glad to hear that you don't eat the crocuses.... :lol:

Posted 02 Mar 2013, 11:26 #4 

Duncan
It's still winter. And that includes by the Mick measure, as the crocuses haven't appeared. The daffs haven't opened either. 6 degress outside at lunchtime, winter for sure.

Oh, and as final proof, the winter tyres are still on.

Posted 02 Mar 2013, 11:41 #5 

Borg Warner
It's spring according to the local ducks.

Posted 02 Mar 2013, 17:35 #6 

JohnDotCom
All our snowdrops are out in bloom. But very cold, frost this morning, but going up to max 7C
John

"My lovely car now sold onto a very happy new owner.
I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 02 Mar 2013, 18:59 #7 

Duncan
John. I'd agree, but snowdrops are a winter flower, surely? Now if the bluebells were out......

Posted 02 Mar 2013, 19:28 #8 

Jürgen
Duncan wrote:It's still winter. [...] Oh, and as final proof, the winter tyres are still on.

I think it's just the other way round. It's officially spring now, because my car with the winter tyres has been fixed today (starter motor) and is ready to use again. :mrgreen:

Posted 02 Mar 2013, 19:37 #9 

Duncan
Jürgen wrote:
Duncan wrote:It's still winter. [...] Oh, and as final proof, the winter tyres are still on.

I think it's just the other way round. It's officially spring now, because my car with the winter tyres has been fixed today (starter motor) and is ready to use again. :mrgreen:

And there was me thinking the Germans were quite logical.......:gmc:

Posted 02 Mar 2013, 19:44 #10 

Jürgen
Duncan wrote:And there was me thinking the Germans were quite logical.......:gmc:

Who told you that? :-D

Posted 02 Mar 2013, 19:48 #11 

Duncan
Jürgen wrote:
Duncan wrote:And there was me thinking the Germans were quite logical.......:gmc:

Who told you that? :-D

Oh, some Germans I used to work for......

Posted 02 Mar 2013, 19:54 #12 

MrDoodles
A lot of people ignore things like equinoxes and simply divide the 12 months of the year, into the 4 Seasons, so Spring becomes March, April and May, Summer June, July and August, Autumn September, October and November and Winter December, January and February!

Posted 03 Mar 2013, 13:13 #13 

Dave
Well, if Spring starts on 1st March, according a news/weather bulletin (National News) I saw last week, it's a very short season - they said that when the clocks go back it marks the start of summer! Of course, if Spring starts after 1st of March, then it's even shorter!!

I think that they probably got confused the start of British Summer Time, but this is not how they put it across, in fact they were emphasising how odd it was to have snow when "summer is only days away".... :roll:

Posted 31 Mar 2013, 13:23 #14 

Jürgen
Summer? You are talking about summer? :-?
We haven't seen any traces of the spring yet!

As they say global weather is changing. So maybe when the snow will finally have gone the first autumn storms will arrive. :panic:
I think the best thing to do is going back to :bed:

;)

Posted 31 Mar 2013, 13:38 #15 

Jürgen

Posted 31 Mar 2013, 13:56 #16 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Only one thing to be said about the weather today in North Cambs.................

It ain't raining. :thumbsup:
Or snowing. :thumbsup:
Or sleeting. :thumbsup:

Yet.

Posted 31 Mar 2013, 14:18 #17 

Jumper
The equinoxes have their roots in Paganism. The meaningless modern aberrant arbitrary dates in pragmatism. Result: the desire to serve all ends in none being served.
And I have yet to remove my vest.

Posted 31 Mar 2013, 14:23 #18 

Jürgen
Mick wrote:Only one thing to be said about the weather today in North Cambs.................

Yet.

Dear weather customer, we apologise for any inconveniences. Due to an abnormal malfunction of our weather system, which has run smoothly for most of the past 4.54 billion years, the production of snow has been interrupted. Fabrication and delivery will resume as soon as possible. Our team of experts is working hard until the service you are used to will be restored. :ugeek:

Posted 31 Mar 2013, 14:57 #19 

Suffolk Man
Mick wrote:Only one thing to be said about the weather today in North Cambs.................

Yet.

same here in cambridge cold but dry just finished cleaning the car.as long as it stays dry and we have no more of that white stuff it will do me for the time being.however if it is still like this in the middle of august it is time to worry .a lot!

Posted 31 Mar 2013, 15:07 #20