Some Help Required by MrB (Page 1 of 2)

• Related topics: (no related topics)

MrB
Finally collected my Conn SE CDT today and have a few issues I need to sort.

The main issue is the clutch. It has had new clutch, slave and master cylinders. The pedal is no stiffer than I remember my old one being but the biting point is very low and it is hard to put in and out of gear. Does it need bleeding?

There is a wobble in the steering at low speeds. This car passed an MOT Wednesday and it has had new springs etc for it, I believe the MOT is genuine, so I feel it is not any bushes etc that would have failed, as more expensive work has been undertaken. Could it be an out of shape tyre? This car does look like it may have been sat. Have driven it 200 miles today and wobble was not apparent at speed, though was vibration at around 70 (suspect wheel balancing is out)

The Off Side front engine mounting seems to be split, how easy is this as a DIY fit?

Possible Thermostat replacement needed, in dash temp gauge rarely moved above a quarter. Engine did seem to warm quickly though. The IPK (Instrument pack (IPK from the German)) is knackered however, thankfully already have a new one on the way due to 999999 fault.

The reverse sensors are clicking away merrily but I have no sounds inside the car. There are signs of water getting into the rear off side quarter. What should I check?

I have connected the SatNav unit and it seems to be searching for a disc, however when I press eject, no disc is ejected. Is there a way for me to check if there is a disc in there, other than through the head unit? Also is a black multiplug which is not connected to anything, which appears to be attached to the GPS aerial coonection. I can't see anthing it would attach to.

I should point out the car has High Line Nav and Harman Kardon. TV, radio and CD mulltichanger all working fine.

Seems I have picked up a bit of a project, which wasn't the plan. :oops:
Chris
Member No. 143
Mods so far: LED sidelights, interior lights and number plate lamps, Rover Xenon Headlights, Kenlowe Fan, Synergy 2 and EGR Bypass

Posted 12 Jun 2010, 21:36 #1 

JohnDotCom
Sorry to hear you are having so many problems with your new car,

Re Sat Nav: If a disc is in the red light should be flashing intermittently on front of Sat Nav Computer, as it attempts to read the disc.

Re Thermostat: Using the on board Diagnostics you can monitor the Temperature and after about 7 miles the temperature should read 88c to 90c if it is below the 88c then it needs replacing and whilst faulty will cause you to use more fuel. Up to 7mpg will be lost.

Re Wheel Wobble: First have the Tracking checked and the balancing of wheels.
If this doesn't cure the fault switch the wheels front to back if that cures it you have a faulty tyre.
There is of course on the Diesels the common fault of the mounting which cause engine movement and unease but does not normally manifest itself in the fault you have.

I am sure our Members will be along more with advice soon.
Please keep us informed of your progress and if we can further help.
If and when you are in North Wales or if you make the Nano Meet or a Yorkie meet I would have a look at all the Sat Nav system and advise accordingly by swapping units.
John

"My lovely car now sold onto a very happy new owner.
I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 12 Jun 2010, 21:45 #2 

takestock
MrB wrote:Finally collected my Conn SE CDT today and have a few issues I need to sort.

The main issue is the clutch. It has had new clutch, slave and master cylinders. The pedal is no stiffer than I remember my old one being but the biting point is very low and it is hard to put in and out of gear. Does it need bleeding?

There is a wobble in the steering at low speeds. This car passed an MOT Wednesday and it has had new springs etc for it, I believe the MOT is genuine, so I feel it is not any bushes etc that would have failed, as more expensive work has been undertaken. Could it be an out of shape tyre? This car does look like it may have been sat. Have driven it 200 miles today and wobble was not apparent at speed, though was vibration at around 70 (suspect wheel balancing is out)

The Off Side front engine mounting seems to be split, how easy is this as a DIY fit?

Possible Thermostat replacement needed, in dash temp gauge rarely moved above a quarter. Engine did seem to warm quickly though. The IPK is knackered however, thankfully already have a new one on the way due to 999999 fault.

The reverse sensors are clicking away merrily but I have no sounds inside the car. There are signs of water getting into the rear off side quarter. What should I check?

I have connected the SatNav unit and it seems to be searching for a disc, however when I press eject, no disc is ejected. Is there a way for me to check if there is a disc in there, other than through the head unit? Also is a black multiplug which is not connected to anything, which appears to be attached to the GPS aerial coonection. I can't see anthing it would attach to.

I should point out the car has High Line Nav and Harman Kardon. TV, radio and CD mulltichanger all working fine.

Seems I have picked up a bit of a project, which wasn't the plan. :oops:

Does sound like the clutch needs bleeding,

Swap front and rear tyres see if wobble is removed from steering

Try any cd in the sat nav, it wont read it but if it takes it then you know there isn't one in already

The 999999 dash fault does not usually require a new ECU (Engine Control Unit), mileage correction people can repair them in around 20 mins

Mk 2 sat nav units used to have an extra unit on top of it called a trimble, this is no longer used with the mk 3 unit. if the small aerial plug ( bit like a earpiece plug) is plugged into the rear of the sat nav then it is a mk3

Sounds like the stat has seen better days, not a straight forward job I'm told.

that should keep you busy for the rest of the weekend :D
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 12 Jun 2010, 21:54 #3 

JohnDotCom
Put so much better than mine Dave thanks.................... :em: :gmc:
John

I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 12 Jun 2010, 21:56 #4 

MrB
JDC

Fast response as always.

I honestly spent nearly 2 hours deciding whether to buy it or not. Is my sons 8th today. Arrived Birmingham 10.10, got home 5pm. Am still not sure I made right decision going through with sale. Did get £400 off original asking price but...

Forgot to mention above, isn't exactly sprightly either. So when IPK turns up and I see Russ will get him to look at my MAF (Mass Air Flow Sensor) too.

Chris
Chris
Member No. 143
Mods so far: LED sidelights, interior lights and number plate lamps, Rover Xenon Headlights, Kenlowe Fan, Synergy 2 and EGR Bypass

Posted 12 Jun 2010, 21:58 #5 

DeuxGazoles
Engine mounting is pretty straight forward....undertray off Jack under engine & simply undo the bolts & remove it

Parking sensors, not sure what causes no noise but do you get a long tone when reverse is first selected? if so try this:
Look up under the middle of the rear bumper & there'll be a big multi plug, follow the wires towards the bumper only a couple of inches & you should find they're wrapped in Black insulating tape, undo the tape & you'll find 2 more bits of Blue tape, unwrap them & at a guess youll find a lump ofCorrosion something like that colour, chop the wires back & rejoin using heat shrink butt connectors & hopefully that's another little problem solved ;)
Geordie Jeans! they're nice & tight especially roond the arse

Posted 12 Jun 2010, 22:04 #6 

MrB
takestock wrote:Does sound like the clutch needs bleeding,

Swap front and rear tyres see if wobble is removed from steering

Try any cd in the sat nav, it wont read it but if it takes it then you know there isn't one in already

The 999999 dash fault does not usually require a new ECU, mileage correction people can repair them in around 20 mins

Mk 2 sat nav units used to have an extra unit on top of it called a trimble, this is no longer used with the mk 3 unit. if the small aerial plug ( bit like a earpiece plug) is plugged into the rear of the sat nav then it is a mk3

Sounds like the stat has seen better days, not a straight forward job I'm told.

that should keep you busy for the rest of the weekend :D

Takestock

Thanks a lot for your quick reply.

As I more or less missed my sons birthday today, I will not be doing much with the 75 tomorrow. :oops:

Clutch sounds a pig to bleed, is it possible to do on my own?

Will try a disc in the unit, as you suggest, and the aerial does plug directly onto the rear of the unit.

Will also try swapping the tyres round.

Thanks for your time.

Chris
Chris
Member No. 143

Posted 12 Jun 2010, 22:05 #7 

MrB
DeuxGazoles wrote:Engine mounting is pretty straight forward....undertray off Jack under engine & simply undo the bolts & remove it

Parking sensors, not sure what causes no noise but do you get a long tone when reverse is first selected? if so try this:
Look up under the middle of the rear bumper & there'll be a big multi plug, follow the wires towards the bumper only a couple of inches & you should find they're wrapped in Black insulating tape, undo the tape & you'll find 2 more bits of Blue tape, unwrap them & at a guess youll find a lump ofCorrosion something like that colour, chop the wires back & rejoin using heat shrink butt connectors & hopefully that's another little problem solved ;)

Thanks

I was thinking along the lines you mention with regards the engine mounting and hoping it was that simple.

There is no long tone when reverse is selected. I have put the car in reverse and all four sensors are clicking but that is it.

Chris
Chris
Member No. 143

Posted 12 Jun 2010, 22:10 #8 

DeuxGazoles
MrB wrote:
DeuxGazoles wrote:Engine mounting is pretty straight forward....undertray off Jack under engine & simply undo the bolts & remove it

Thanks

I was thinking along the lines you mention with regards the engine mounting and hoping it was that simple.

There is no long tone when reverse is selected. I have put the car in reverse and all four sensors are clicking but that is it.

Chris

Hmmmm give me a minute to think on this :panic: :panic:

Posted 12 Jun 2010, 22:13 #9 

DeuxGazoles
Just had a read up & it could still be those joints under the bumper but also check the connections to the PDC controller & also could be the sounder (or wires to) broken

Posted 12 Jun 2010, 22:23 #10 

MrB
DeuxGazoles wrote:Just had a read up & it could still be those joints under the bumper but also check the connections to the PDC controller & also could be the sounder (or wires to) broken

Cheers

Am gonna spend a little time looking at the 75 tomorrow.
Just so I'm clear where are the PDC controller and sounder located? :4:
Chris
Member No. 143

Posted 12 Jun 2010, 22:33 #11 

DeuxGazoles
Errrrrmmmmm :confused: I dunno :em: :em: :em:

Posted 12 Jun 2010, 22:42 #12 

MrB
DeuxGazoles wrote:Errrrrmmmmm :confused: I dunno :em: :em: :em:

LMAO. Thanks for that.

Think was a body electrics manual on a site somewhere mentioned on here. I'll download and check that.

Once again thanks for all your help.

Chris
Chris
Member No. 143

Posted 12 Jun 2010, 22:48 #13 

JohnDotCom
Thats strange God knows where the reply went I wrote earlier. Must have hit a wrong button.

There are several differences with the Reverse sensors systems between the Saloon and the Tourer.
First the IPK is often used as the sounder and no separate one Installed.
If it is installed on a Saloon it is generally under the rear parcel shelf drivers side.
The control box I have seen in a few places but from memory I believe it is behind the R/H side of boot area where the sat nav lives.
I am sure someone will come along and confirm or otherwise that last one and tell you what you really need to know,
but they are most probably at this hour either to pissed to think or gone to :bed:
John

Posted 12 Jun 2010, 23:10 #14 

takestock
JohnDotCom wrote: at this hour either to pissed to think or gone to :bed:

nope, not me, neither of the above. I had a right strop on. ;)
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 13 Jun 2010, 07:26 #15 

MrB
JohnDotCom wrote:Thats strange God knows where the reply went I wrote earlier. Must have hit a wrong button.

There are several differences with the Reverse sensors systems between the Saloon and the Tourer.
First the IPK is often used as the sounder and no separate one Installed.
If it is installed on a Saloon it is generally under the rear parcel shelf drivers side.
The control box I have seen in a few places but from memory I believe it is behind the R/H side of boot area where the sat nav lives.
I am sure someone will come along and confirm or otherwise that last one and tell you what you really need to know,
but they are most probably at this hour either to pissed to think or gone to :bed:

Thanks again JDC

There is a box fastened to the underneeth of the carriage for the SatNav Drive.
My IPK is pretty ropey, Message Centre has lots of dead pixels, 999999 fault .... New one is on the way. Infact, should really have arrived by now :mad1:

Chris
Chris
Member No. 143

Posted 13 Jun 2010, 07:57 #16 

MrB
takestock wrote:
JohnDotCom wrote: at this hour either to pissed to think or gone to :bed:

nope, not me, neither of the above. I had a right strop on. ;)

I thought you were just being slooooooow..... :gmc:
Chris
Member No. 143

Posted 13 Jun 2010, 07:58 #17 

MrB

I have been looking on the Rimmer site and it looks like I just need the rubber part, am I right? The other parts of that engine mount look very expensive.
Chris
Member No. 143

Posted 13 Jun 2010, 08:07 #18 

DeuxGazoles
MrB wrote:I have been looking on the Rimmer site and it looks like I just need the rubber part, am I right? The other parts of that engine mount look very expensive.

I would have thought so, I can't see the bracketry ever failing ;)

Posted 13 Jun 2010, 19:40 #19 

MrB
DeuxGazoles wrote:
MrB wrote:I have been looking on the Rimmer site and it looks like I just need the rubber part, am I right? The other parts of that engine mount look very expensive.

I would have thought so, I can't see the bracketry ever failing ;)

Thank god for that. The prices for the bracketry are very scarey indeed. :2:
Chris
Member No. 143

Posted 13 Jun 2010, 20:21 #20