Sloooooow by raistlin

• Related topics: (no related topics)

raistlin
I have a very annoying problem with my Windows 7 PC.

Every so often, but becoming more and more frequent, it stops working (I can still move the mouse though) and the hourglass symbol comes up for between 1 and 6 seconds, as if there was a sudden and catastrophic load on the processors.

I've done a full sweep with Kaspersky and the computer is clean.

I've viewed "processes" but a massive load never shows up although, clearly, if I am able to select the option to see the running processes then the load isn't there at that time.

Any ideas would be gratefully received before I throw the damned thing out of the window :lol:

Thanks
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 16 Jan 2014, 10:19 #1 

Mad-Monkey
Are you running any background updates?

Posted 16 Jan 2014, 15:34 #2 

Dave
I have a similar thing with mine (Vista) except that it looks completely, so I can't move the mouse or ALT-TAB between applications. Usually last 10-15 seconds, and normally does it about once a day. I have no idea what causes it, and I guess as long as it doesn't one day freeze totally, I can put up with it!

Posted 16 Jan 2014, 16:06 #3 

Mad-Monkey
Also windows search will index the files occasionally causing a slow down, might be worth disabling it if you don't need it.

Posted 16 Jan 2014, 16:49 #4 

raistlin
Ah, I use X1 Search and it is allowed to do pretty much as it likes. That's one thing to look at :) I'll report back.

I was wondering whether it might have to do with accessing my NAS.

Still looking for ideas :)
Paul

Posted 16 Jan 2014, 17:46 #5 

Mad-Monkey
Are you continually backing up to your NAS? If you do I would temporarily turn off the hibernate mode on the nas and see if the speed issue remains. Mine only does it when I'm logging in for the first time as the computer keeps it awake. If you're not backing up there wouldn't be a need for the PC to access the NAS unless you are telling it to.

Posted 16 Jan 2014, 17:51 #6 

raistlin
I have a real-time backup to the NAS David, but, thinking about it, the slow-down problem is there much more often than backup is taking place.
Paul

Posted 16 Jan 2014, 18:03 #7 

raistlin
I have to say, selecting the least aggressive mode in X1 Search seems (as far as I can tell over a short time) to have solved the problem :)
Paul

Posted 16 Jan 2014, 18:04 #8 

Mad-Monkey
I would imagine the NAS would stay awake more often than not with your computer usage. Search indexing seems to take a huge amount of resources.

Posted 16 Jan 2014, 18:07 #9