Rust by Bermudan 75

• Related topics: (no related topics)

Bermudan 75
I have recently replaced the rear brake back plates but due to severe corrosion the handbrake cables needed to be replaced as well

Old handbrake cable.jpg

Fortunately the new replacement cables have plastic end pieces so they should not need to be replaced again.

Another item that I have replaced was the fuel tank strap. I gave the new strap a couple of coats of Hammerite and Waxoyl.

Fuel Tank Straps.jpg

Both jobs were rather straightforward, the grommet underneath the car where the handbrake cables enter was a bit fiddly.

More to follow.....

Mike

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Posted 26 May 2022, 17:49 #1 

Arctic
(Trader)
Hi Mike.
Hopefully you have not thrown away the fuel tank strap, if you haven't and you come to the meets in June, could you bring it if you do not want it please, i have been after one to try and make a pattern up of one out of some metal iron i have in the shed cheers Steve.
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 26 May 2022, 22:38 #2 

Bermudan 75
Sorry Steve, it was collected by my local scrap man.

Posted 27 May 2022, 06:18 #3 

Bermudan 75
For quite a while since owning my car, I had noticed that the rubber strip edging between the glass and rear door pillar finisher was distorted. (passenger side).

I removed the finisher to discover this:
Quarterlight rust.jpg

The rusted metal is just the finisher, the door frame was still in quite good condition and just needed to be cleaned up.
Quarterlight.jpg

Here is a view of the original and replacement finisher.
Old and new quarterlight trim.jpg

It is amazing what you can find just lurking below the surface.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Posted 17 Aug 2022, 10:35 #4 

Arctic
(Trader)
Hi Mike
The side panels also go rusty behind them, and only shows once the rust starts coming through, usually only the front door ones.
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 18 Aug 2022, 09:21 #5