Rover 800 Coupe by Dave

Dave
After posting on this thread and in an off-topic manner, mentioning 800 Coupes, it's reminded me that I love 'em and now I want one (although I can't afford one, or the insurance or tax, or have anywhere to keep one...)

There's a cheap one here Country Classics. Only £450, but not sure what they mean by "Needs some light recomissioning" :confused: Did they ever make any lower spec versions, as the wheels look cheap to me?

Also seen this one on eBay. This one does look nice! :mrgreen:

Very nice looking Vitesse coupe on eBay...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1997-ROVER-820-VI ... mobiles_UK

Posted 23 Aug 2010, 15:53 #1 

Bernard
A pal of mine has one with crown alloys.

His also needed some light re-commissioning, we found the cills to consist of expanding foam covered in filler then underseal. Had to fabricate some new ones as they are no longer available and a lot longer than the saloon or fastback which we did find.
The rear nearside wheelarch had to be rebuilt also. Luckily we have access to the right tools and skills.
Nice car though and his engine, the 827, is the quietest that I've heard.
The 2L turbo goes well!
I don't like signatures, they take up too much screen space.

Posted 23 Aug 2010, 16:24 #2 

Bermudan 75
Nearly every report on the large Rovers is positive, it does make you think that they should have concentrated on the more upmarket models, rather akin to Rover of the 1970s just having one bodyshell with various engine variants, 2000-3500.

Posted 23 Aug 2010, 16:34 #3 

Dallas
Dave wrote:After posting on this thread and in an off-topic manner, mentioning 800 Coupes, it's reminded me that I love 'em and now I want one

Meeeee tooooooo Dave :D lovely looking car's :iagree:

Did the engines in these models suffer the same HG failure as other Rovers ?

Posted 23 Aug 2010, 21:48 #4 

Dave
Dallas wrote:Did the engines in these models suffer the same HG failure as other Rovers ?

According to Wikipedia....

In 1996, the engine size designations were dropped, and the model badges simply read "800" except for the Sterling and Vitesse models. The honda engines were dropped for the newly developed KV6 which gave a much smoother power delivery. coupe models were now available with the 200ps vitesse sport engine as well as a normal 136ps t series as fitted to the 820 models

and

The Rover KV6 engine in the 800 series was hampered by reliability issues and head gasket failures. Rover at the time, with no understanding of the problems simply replaced the engines. In many cases repair would not have been an option due to liner problems. The modified version of the KV6 fitted into the 75 is not an easy swap

So I'd guess,.... yes?

Posted 23 Aug 2010, 21:58 #5 

Bernard
Dave wrote:
Dallas wrote:Did the engines in these models suffer the same HG failure as other Rovers ?

So I'd guess,.... yes?

Dead right! I had a Sterling with the 2.5 engine. They were known as 'steam generators'.
Much smoother than the 2.7 but my oldest Honda engined 800 covered 250k miles without a problem.

Posted 23 Aug 2010, 22:08 #6 

Dallas
Thanks for that Dave and Bernard :thumbsup:

Its such a blooming shame that we don't see many of these Coupes on the roads......

The one on ebay (as above pic) its a 'R' plate, whats that a 1998 ?

I did own a 1998 'R' reg Honda Accord which I totally adored...... (Hey! that rhyme's) :lol:

Here she is!
New Honda Accord 030904 A small.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Posted 23 Aug 2010, 22:13 #7 

Last edited by Dallas on 23 Aug 2010, 22:47, edited 1 time in total.

Bernard
The big drawback to the coupe is that the only body panel in common with the rest of the range is the bonnet, if my memory serves me correctly. Also just about every bit of trim etc. is different from standard too.

They were the flagship model, must have cost a fortune to build, limited edition and all special parts.

Posted 23 Aug 2010, 22:41 #8 

Dave
What about the 2 litre engine then? Is that one safe?

Posted 24 Aug 2010, 18:43 #9 

Bernard
Dave wrote:What about the 2 litre engine then? Is that one safe?

Yes very good, it's not a 'K' and rated at 200 bhp in turbo format if I remember correctly.

Posted 24 Aug 2010, 19:03 #10 

Dave
Hmmmm

Blue one on eBay seems to have ended a day early but not showing as sold....

Posted 29 Aug 2010, 11:32 #11 

JakeWilson
Bernard wrote:
Dave wrote:What about the 2 litre engine then? Is that one safe?

Yes very good, it's not a 'K' and rated at 200 bhp in turbo format if I remember correctly.

Was designated the T series, or M series. 200bhp in the"vitesse sport"

Posted 29 Aug 2010, 15:30 #12 

carlpenn
My Stepfathers brother had a Rover Sterling (not sure which of teh 800 range that was) and it was at that time, teh most amazing thing I had ever seen. It was in a beautiful metallic red, similar to copperleaf on the 75 and had a Beige, like Sandstone trim. The Centre console was littered with Buttons and it all just looked so very good.

I think that was my first "real" experience with a Rover and probably where I fell in love with the Rover range.
Upgrades:

Fitted Electric Memory Seat, Leather Cubby Lid, Wood Dash, Message Centre.

Posted 30 Aug 2010, 11:40 #13 

MrB
1st car I drove after passing my test was a Rover SD1 2600SE of my uncles.

I came back from the test centre and he was at our house.

He threw me the keys and asked me if I could turn it around for him.

Can still remember the little 'ting' noises from all of those many many dials and meters as I turned the key.

Unfortunately never had the pleasure of a go in a coupe or any 800 for that matter.

They do look beautiful though.

Chris
Chris
Member No. 143
Mods so far: LED sidelights, interior lights and number plate lamps, Rover Xenon Headlights, Kenlowe Fan, Synergy 2 and EGR Bypass

Posted 30 Aug 2010, 11:48 #14 

Dave
Dave wrote:Hmmmm

Blue one on eBay seems to have ended a day early but not showing as sold....

Apparently someone went to view it, then gave him the BIN price and a £100 deposit :cry:

I was watching this just hoping it wouldn't sell and then I could make an offer! :mrgreen: TBH, it was totally illogical, as it would have been a third car and

• Couldn't afford to buy it
  • Couldn't afford to run it (fuel, tax etc)
  • Nowhere to keep it

Oh well!

Posted 30 Aug 2010, 12:50 #15