Rover 75 2.0 V6 unable to start by MatChrisP

MatChrisP
Hi there, I currently experience a horrendous problem with my Rover. When I turn the key and try to start the engine it just starts click clacking. I've tried this once before, however, that was because I drove through a lot of water and it started working again when the car dried out. This time, howevever, it happened randomly as I haven't been driving for 3 days and then when I wanted to drive to Asda today, I couldn't start it.

Is this a know issue, or is there something I can try to do? Or will it maybe start working again tomorrow as last time I experienced this very issue?

Best Regards
Matt

Posted 16 Oct 2012, 16:25 #1 

takestock
Hi Matt, Assuming you mean you just get a click when you try to start the car.

First thing to do is make sure battery is fully charged. once you know this, then you can move on the the next likely subject, the small wire that is attached to the starter ( under the air filter ) remove the cable and clean the connection. If the fault is still present after this it is usually down to the starter solenoid contacts wearing, there is a kit sold on ebay that replaces the worn parts. :)
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 16 Oct 2012, 17:08 #2 

Duncan
Do the headlights flash at the same time as this noise? Like Dave says, it sounds like the battery is flat or faulty. If the headlights flash as well as the noise, it's almost certainly this. If the battery is old, it probably needs replacing.

Posted 19 Oct 2012, 21:10 #3