Right then... by raistlin

• Related topics: (no related topics)

raistlin
... my leetle computer gurus :)

You'll like this one, but not a lot.

Has anybody ever heard of a software application which can measure the beat of an mp3 track please? If it had the innate ability to modify the beat (speed up or slow down slightly) this would be even better.

Any ideas? PLEASE???
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 23 Oct 2011, 19:15 #1 

BADLAD
There are loads of dj softwares that do that - used for matching beats per minute to blend tracks together.
Traktor dj studio, Sony acid, ableton live. There is even an app for the iPhone called idj which does it.
I have a dedicated piece of kit which will time stretch and pitch correct if you really need to, but for basic stuff, the software should do it.

Ian

Posted 24 Oct 2011, 04:52 #2 

Last edited by BADLAD on 24 Oct 2011, 07:15, edited 1 time in total.

raistlin
Thanks Ian :) Are any of these shareware or freeware?
Paul

Posted 24 Oct 2011, 06:49 #3 

BADLAD
None of the named ones are freeware or shareware. Although sometimes they offer a short trial period (depends on the software and the offer of the month). Are you after a one time solution, or are you about to release 'Dj Raistlin' upon the world? :-)
My hardware based studio will even beat match and time stretch spoken word, but, obviously it would take some time and effort. I had a recording of a Spanish woman speaking which I beat matched to a track and lowered the pitch of her voice to make her sound more 'sultry'. It's amazing what can be done.
The software named are some of the 'big hitters' in the laptop based dj world, but you could try virtual dj. I have used it with hardware, but I think it will work with just the computer keyboard. It will also only work on tracks shorter than 10 minutes I think. It really does depend on what you are trying to achieve.

Hope this helps,

Ian.

Posted 24 Oct 2011, 07:31 #4 

Dave
"Audacity" might do it?

It's got an "Analyze" function which gives you one option, which is "Beat Finder". Not sure how useful this is though

Also allows you to change tempo from the "Effects" menu - this works well, as it more or less keeps the pitch the same, whereas the speed change function simply makes vocalists sound like Paul Robeson or Pinky & Perky depending on which way you drag the slider!

Posted 24 Oct 2011, 09:02 #5 

raistlin
BADLAD wrote:are you about to release 'Dj Raistlin' upon the world?

No Ian,

It's a lot simpler than that. I do cardio-vascular exercise most days during the week and I've found that if I can listen to music with a beat which exactly matches the pace at which I'm working, I can get more done.

Unfortunately, if I choose something which is almost but not exactly the right tempo, it really puts me off my stride :)

So, if I can measure the tempo of the one or two tracks which suit me perfectly at the moment, I can choose some other tracks which I like and which are close to the right tempo and then tweak them in terms of tempo to suit, hopefully without the attendant harmonic distortion being too obvious.

It might sound odd, but if I am listening to music at precisely the right tempo, I can work harder and for longer than I otherwise might.
Paul

Posted 24 Oct 2011, 19:27 #6 

BADLAD
Ah, now I understand! An interesting application and one that I think is valid. As a youngster, I did a lot of distance running and found that if I could think of a tune in my head and keep pace with it, I didn't get as tired and could run for longer without getting stitch.
I have a collection of music which has already been beat matched. When you sort out your ideal bpm, let me know the genre and I can send you a list of tunes in my collection with that bpm. Lots of dj's have stuff sorted by bpm, or can find that info from the software they use. I have all sorts in my collection and listen to many genres so I will probably be able to find some recommendations.
Have a good one!

Ian

Posted 25 Oct 2011, 08:25 #7 

raistlin
Cheers Ian :)
Paul

Posted 25 Oct 2011, 17:24 #8 

Dave
Did you try Audacity?

Posted 25 Oct 2011, 17:46 #9 

raistlin
I haven't tried any at the moment Dave. Been a tad busy :)
Paul

Posted 25 Oct 2011, 18:33 #10 

Mick
(Site Admin)
I have a copy of energyXT2 Win XP, Vista, Mac OSX and Linux going spare if you can make use of it. Legal version with serial number. Came free with my Behringer USB guitar interface. Bit overkill for what you want, Compact digital studio.

Posted 25 Oct 2011, 22:48 #11 

raistlin
BADLAD wrote:When you sort out your ideal bpm, let me know the genre and I can send you a list of tunes in my collection with that bpm.

Ian, if I send you a track attached to an e-mail perhaps, would you be able to see what you have that matches please?
Paul

Posted 26 Oct 2011, 16:44 #12 

raistlin
Mick wrote:I have a copy of energyXT2 Win XP, Vista, Mac OSX and Linux going spare if you can make use of it. Legal version with serial number. Came free with my Behringer USB guitar interface. Bit overkill for what you want, Compact digital studio.

Thanks Mick but as you suggest, a bit of a sledgehammer / nut situation :)

Nice thought though mate :)
Paul

Posted 26 Oct 2011, 16:46 #13 

James.uk
Hi Paul. if you know anyone with a music keyboard, you could run a drum track and adjust it untill you find the right BPM very easily.. Then hopefully badlad can send you some tracks to suit. :)

Posted 26 Oct 2011, 19:08 #14 

BADLAD
Hi Paul,
The track you sent came out at 130 bpm on my software and I used the following website to confirm:
http://www.bpm4djs.com

You can search bpms there and it seems to be quite accurate.

Hope that helps !

Ian

Posted 26 Oct 2011, 22:11 #15 

raistlin
Thanks James. Thanks Ian :)
Paul

Posted 27 Oct 2011, 05:35 #16