Random but important question by raistlin

raistlin
Can anybody help please?

Were 'Portakabin' type offices in use circa 1975?
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 23 Oct 2010, 12:04 #1 

James.uk
There were loads of them on the nuclear Power station site at Morecombe during the construction of phase two, so if you can find out when phase two was built that would help.. It was deff before 1980 ... :D

Posted 23 Oct 2010, 12:20 #2 

Tourerfogey
The modern portable building, or "knock-down" building, was first developed by United States firm Porta-Kamp in 1955. The first portable building under the trade name 'Portakabin' was built in 1961 in England.

Posted 23 Oct 2010, 12:56 #3 

raistlin
Thanks chaps :)

That's a yes then :) Good news.
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 23 Oct 2010, 12:59 #4 

Tourerfogey
Please note - two sensible and helpful replies on this forum before anyone bothered on another forum that the same question was posted on . . . ;)

Posted 23 Oct 2010, 13:05 #5 

Mick
(Site Admin)
When my grammar school partially burned down in 1972, several portacabin type buildings were erected on the grounds to house classrooms.

No it wasn't me. :lol:

Posted 23 Oct 2010, 13:22 #6 

Zeb
My middle school had portakabins..I was taught in one for a year or two and that was around 1976.... :D

Posted 23 Oct 2010, 13:50 #7 

Duncan
Zeb wrote:My middle school had portakabins..I was taught in one for a year or two and that was around 1976.... :D

Though technically known as terrapins, they are still in use in schools in Warwickshire today.

No, I don't mean in general, I mean the ones from 1976. In fact, the patches on the roof are visible on google earth........

I too was taught in one, back in the very early 1970s (71 or 72). I think my wife now teaches in it. Still remember getting my finger trapped in the door, and the school first aid consisting of filling the cut with antiseptic cream (Germolene IIRC).

I'm sure I remember a few scenes from the Sweeney where the gang was using one as it's HQ.....

Posted 23 Oct 2010, 15:19 #8 

James.uk
They used to make various accessories to go with them, e.g. double deck them in pairs, and you could get a ready made section to go between the two top ones, it formed a balcony between them and had places to attaché staircases either at the front, back, sides or centre... :)

When the power station at Heysham was finished most of the cabins (owned by Taylor Woodrow) were burnt. I tried to buy one, but they would not allow it. :confused: :roll:

Posted 23 Oct 2010, 16:01 #9