Rain & Sunroof Drainage Tubes by Arctic (Page 2 of 2)

• Related topics: (no related topics)

Gate Keeper
A mammoth task which you have certainly made less daunting and something I would not have attempted. Thanks for posting this up.

Posted 15 Jul 2012, 15:51 #21 

Arctic
(Trader)
At last we have had a couple of days with the sun out for more tha a couple of hours, yesterday i decide i would make sure the car was not leaking in from the windscreen scuttle around its clips so i took it off and sealed round each one with some 151 gutter sealant i also ran it anlong the ower part of the windscreen.

To remove the scuttle panel from the front windscreen first you need to remover the window wipers two bolts a grip tight a wiggle and a shake and they are off.

Window wipers removed and one scuttle clip Fig 1
Image1

Next prise up each scuttle clip with a tool simular to this or use a thin balded screw driver keep your spare thumb or finger over the clip so it does not fly of into the air never to be found :) or stick some masking tape over the edge of the clip. Fig 2-3
Image2

Image3

Next remove the rubber seal along the scuttle Fig 4
Image4

The next step is to remove the scrivets each side after removing the upper scuttle trays these just screw out Fig 5
Image5

You are now ready to remove the scuttle panel first feed it up and out from the passnger side no need to be a bull in a china shop take it easy just a little bending and its free that end. Fig 6
Image6

Now do the same the drivers side this time pay attention to lifting the scuttle panle free and over the window wiper bolt again take care. Fig 7
Image7

Once this as been acchived the panel is free to remove and be put safe Fig 8-9
Image8

Image9

With the scuttle panel removed we can see the white plastic retaining grommets which the scuttle panel clips fit into to hold the panel in situ note the perished gaskets under them very suspect in my opinion so all the more reason to seal them with the 151 sealant. Fig 10-12
Image10

Note how dirty it is under the scuttle panel and holds water
Image11

Also take note of the gasket up close
Image12

I am now going to seal around the white retainign grommets and inside them so when i replace the scuttle panel and its clips it will seal around that area and seal the clip in place as i hope i do nto need to remove it again if so it will just be that little bit harder no great shakes.Fig 13
Image13

Seal round each and every one i also sealed along the lower part of the windscreen to make sure Fig 14-15
Image14

Image15

With the scuttle panel now back in place i put a little more in the crevis of the scuttle clip so it just seps out to be wiped of clean this should be now sealed this may not need doing but i think i am being cautious just incase as i have had a member tell me they have a wet carpet but do not have a sunroof.Fig 16
Image16

With this done my next step is to refit the carpet now its dry and the interior seats etc this i will do tomorrow 15th July 2012 Arctic.
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 16 Jul 2012, 00:10 #22 

Last edited by Arctic on 12 Feb 2013, 03:29, edited 1 time in total.

Arctic
(Trader)
Sunday the 15th July and one of the sunny days we have had this month and i maged to refit the interior back into Suzie after the sunroof saga i decided to drill a few holes and treatthem before putting the carpet back in i know somewill feel this is a little to much and should not be done but i am in the thinking if it does leak again or it is leaking from somewher i have not relised i would prefer not to have 2" of water under the carpet waiting to do more damage i will also be treating it from under the car once we get the next dry day.

I drilled three small 4mm holes along the floor panel where the water holds the most treated with rust inhabitor then WD40 finaly copper grease spray. Fig 1
Image1

Two more where the bings are under the seat which also is one of the lower points of collection Fig 2
Image2

Treated and greased Fig 3
Image3

Also in the rear footwell which fills up from the front due to the design of the floor pan Fig 4
Image4

Carpet back in place nice and dry after 10 days Fig 5
Image5

Console refitted and heating checked along with radio etc for working Fig 6
Image6

Seats bolted back in and wiring pluged in checked for working shes looking nice again after having a very good clean as well Fig 7-8
Image7

Image8

Took her for a drive and she smells lovely again no musty smell am hoping it is all solved now Monday 16th its poured down again all day i ahve not been out to check the car yet but will do some time today the 17th i will even lift the carpet at the front foot wells to see if nay sign but once i have fixed the pipe connectors it rained more or less every day while the carpet was out drying and no signs of water then so fingers crossed i note Dominic as had his carpet propped up and is in the process of fitting the connectors in the mean time he put the end of the sunroof tube in a plastic bottle and over a 5 hour period of rain some of it drizzle he collected two liters of water just goes to show how much water comes down the sunroof tubes good luck to those who have yet to do this mod i hope you catch it before its got to the stage that mine did Arctic.
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 17 Jul 2012, 00:31 #23 

Last edited by Arctic on 12 Feb 2013, 03:40, edited 1 time in total.

bopperbrian
Hi, Newbie on here. I have just bought a 75 Tourer with a sunroof and guess what..... yeah... 2" of water in the footwells. I assume it's the sunroof drains and intend to have a go at it soon. I would like to extend a heartfelt thanks to Arctic for his pictorial demo of how to do this job and to also say, what a wonderful site. As an Ex mechanic now retired I hope I can "do my bit" on here to return the favour. Many thanks.

Posted 01 Oct 2012, 16:04 #24 

bopperbrian
Thanks Arctic, thanks very much. I carried out your instructions for the modification of the sunroof drain tubes and success! the same with the plenum chamber drain hole. The water ingress into the floor well was up to 2" when I got this car home and now it's all gone. The plenum was even higher than that but now OK.
Thanks again, people like your goodself are a pleasure to know.

Posted 05 Oct 2012, 12:51 #25 

s4stylo
Hi Arctic, did you have any joy with the company selling 10-pack connectors? Not sure what size to get or where to get them and have the dreaded squelchy carpet problem. Thankfully your article above shows how to remedy the problem fantastically (although I'm still not looking forward to the prospect of gutting the inside of the car!). Cheers mate.

Posted 09 Oct 2012, 08:51 #26 

Arctic
(Trader)
s4stylo wrote:Hi Arctic, did you have any joy with the company selling 10-pack connectors? Not sure what size to get or where to get them and have the dreaded squelchy carpet problem. Thankfully your article above shows how to remedy the problem fantastically (although I'm still not looking forward to the prospect of gutting the inside of the car!). Cheers mate.

Hi the 10 pack black ones do not fit unless you modify them by drilling out 2mm so its the halfords ones you need 5/8 or 16mm several members have been unable to get them because for some unknown reason Halfords have decided not to deal with Mafco now ? if you go to ebay you should find them but a bit more costly cheers Arctic.
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 10 Oct 2012, 14:56 #27 

Last edited by Arctic on 01 Sep 2016, 09:03, edited 2 times in total.

1gp
Great guide :-D some more jobs on my list...

Posted 17 Nov 2012, 20:27 #28 

Arctic
(Trader)
Dont forget guys we are heading into the wet weather over the next few months check those carpets and plenums etc Arctic.
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 12 Feb 2013, 03:42 #29 

Cornishdeke
Dear Artic,

Just a quick thank you for your superb informative post.

Acquired my 53 plate MG ZTT in October 2012, had issues with water in the foot wells and also paid out £400 for my ECU (Engine Control Unit) repairing after taking it through the carwash. Got that sorted but still had problems with water in nearside foot wells.
Referred to your superb step by step guide and sorted out my problem in less than one hour.
Now to sort out the Air Bag warning light, which I think is caused by my leaking sunroof flooding the nearside foot wells.

Once again, many thanks

Cornishdeke

Posted 11 Sep 2013, 10:09 #30 

kandyman
Hi Cornishdeke,

Glad the how to from Arctic was of help to you, Arctic does make a good "How To"

Thanks for stopping by and letting us know.

Posted 11 Sep 2013, 10:17 #31 

bryancmcgee
As a result of water in my footwells the communications between the dashboard and the rear mounted audio,CD, Sat Nav etc failed. There are three wires in the loom in the driver's side footwell which are not continuous but have crimpted connections, for no obvious reason.These joints had failed due to lying in water. The solution was to solder the connections.

Posted 16 Oct 2013, 16:15 #32