Radiator fan by Bermudan 75

Bermudan 75
I think my radiator fan has packed up. With the igition on and with the aircon set to windscreen, the fan does not move.
What could these symptoms be caused by and what is the remedy? I have read about the onboard diagnostics being able to test the fan, but don't know how to do this.
Can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks

Mike

Posted 01 Jan 2013, 11:38 #1 

Arctic
(Trader)
Hi Mike.
With all the A/C switched off and ignition at number two press the demist only and look through the front grill to see if fan is spinning if not the low speed is kaput now depending on what fan you have fitted again you need to look throught the front grill to see if you have a silver resistor at about 2.0 oclock or not.

Silver resistor in place means you have a two speed fan and you would need to chnage this for a gold resistor
Image1

No silver resistor means you have more than likely got a threed speed fan and usualy once the low speed goe's it take the medium speed with it and its best to replace with a two speed which had to do.
Image2

By sheer coincidence it was only 2 days ago that i was sorting out fans for the forth coming meetings this year i have two Diesel ones Three petrol ones 1.8, 2.0, & 2.5 all with the gold resistor ready to go i also have three petrol ones with the brushes replaced.
Image3

Image4

Image5

Image6

I also have eight gold resistors up and ready to fit so dont be looking to far if you need either
Image7

Try the test then get back to us and let us know about the above if spinning or resistor in place or not Arctic.
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 01 Jan 2013, 16:33 #2 

Last edited by Arctic on 01 Jan 2013, 17:56, edited 1 time in total.

takestock
I can see a nano meet booking coming on..... :)
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 01 Jan 2013, 16:56 #3 

1gp
email sent arctic... cheers jim.

Posted 11 Jan 2013, 19:36 #4 

Arctic
(Trader)
Hi Jim.
Received and replied to cheers Steve
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 11 Jan 2013, 23:10 #5 

Bermudan 75
Hi Steve,

I hope to get this looked at tomorrow, off to Middlesbrough now.

Mike

Posted 12 Jan 2013, 09:31 #6 

Arctic
(Trader)
Rover418275 wrote:Hi Steve,

I hope to get this looked at tomorrow, off to Middlesbrough now.

Mike

Hi Mike.
Good look keeps us informed of the outcome cheers Arctic.
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 12 Jan 2013, 23:58 #7 

Bermudan 75
Hi Steve,
Well the fan failed the test and there is no resistor fitted.

Cheers

Mike

Posted 14 Jan 2013, 16:32 #8 

Arctic
(Trader)
Rover418275 wrote:Hi Steve,
Well the fan failed the test and there is no resistor fitted.

Cheers

Mike

Hi Mike.
sorry to hear that sounds like you will be needing to change it in the near future i will help in anyway i can drop me a line all the best Arctic.
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 18 Jan 2013, 03:18 #9 

Arctic
(Trader)
Hi Mike.
Glad we got the fan fitted and was able to remove that dreded little bolt :clap:in the end and the weather stayed with us quite a good productive day really, fan fitted, O-rings fitted,MAP sensor clean manifold and EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation Valve) fitted,all slam panel bolts change for stainless steel and the steel band cut ready to fit the inline thermostat, dont forget to let me know what temp the OBD (On Board Diagnostics) read when you got back so we know for sure if your OEM stat is stuck open or not then we can decide if you need the inline stat or if it is your matrix blocked cheers Arctic.

[IMG]http://i47.tinypic.com/11ls8jl.jpg[/IM

You can bet your house that a lot of members manifolds and EGR are like this and your can as only done 58000 miles

PS see you Sunday at the meet
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 20 Mar 2013, 22:25 #10