Quarry tiling by raistlin

• Related topics: (no related topics)

raistlin
Does anybody know how to lay quarry tiles in a kitchen please?

We've had enough of our vinyl flooring and thought about quarry tiles as there is only about 2 sq M. of floor space but I haven't a clue how to use them.

Thanks
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 04 Jun 2012, 11:08 #1 

Borg Warner
When you say quarry tiles Paul are you referring to the normal floor tiles? If so they are a piece of cake to fit. Beg, borrow or steal a DIY electric tile cutter (if I was a 150 miles closer you could borrow mine), a set of knee pads, start in the middle and away you go. Use the right size spacers, either ready mix tile and grout or the dry stuff, the latter seems better but is more messy. Make sure the surface is flat and free from cracks and any previous adhesives etc.

Did a conservatory and a large odd shaped kitchen some years ago and was probably one of the easiest DIY jobs I've ever done.

Best of luck.

Posted 04 Jun 2012, 11:35 #2 

Mick
(Site Admin)
A cement based adhesive.
Cutting, you will need a diamond wheel, preferably, although they can be scribed and snapped for straight cuts. In which case a rough file for tidying up edges.
Grout lines, your choice of spacing. Usually 1/4" on flooring.
Finishing. I used to use HG Green polish. Now known as HG Impregnating Sealer followed by Golv polish. Now known as HG Satin Gloss Polish.
http://www.tilefixdirect.com/category/h ... tAod430nSw

If you are going for a ready sealed type of tile you can ignore the polish info above. Those are for unglazed tiles.

You might consider a floor levelling compound if the substrate is more uneven than can be taken up with the adhesive. Something like this. http://www.diy.com/nav/build/building-m ... g-10487625

Posted 04 Jun 2012, 11:47 #3 

Zeb
Did mine in 2009 using slate tiles....not a difficult job...just the cutting that was a pain...obviously they may be a bit higher than your current flooring so you need to watch doorways and the like...

Posted 04 Jun 2012, 12:59 #4 

raistlin
Thanks for the info chaps :)
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 04 Jun 2012, 13:08 #5 

Suffolk Man
as above really to find the center use string corner to corner x will mark the spot.use a decent floor adhesive from a builders merchant more money but it will stick and set faster.and finally fiddly bits such as trims around door frames cut away the wood and slide the tile underneath easier and makes a real neat job

Posted 05 Jun 2012, 16:46 #6