Premature fan operation! by Lightpainter

Lightpainter
Start the car from cold, back out of the garage and the fan comes on and keeps starting and stopping all the time!

My wife has even commented on the more frequent operation of the fan, I just told her that it down to the hot weather so as not to worry her but I’m beginning to get a bit worried my self.

Any of you techy’s got any idea what’s going on?

Posted 02 Jul 2010, 18:51 #1 

Pedro
If the climate control is on 'auto' I think the fan is supposed to run all the time, so if it's stopping and starting I assume there's a fault. I'm sure that someone with more tech knowledge can expand on this (or correct me!)
Peter

If all else fails......read the instructions.

Posted 02 Jul 2010, 18:56 #2 

MrB
Pedro wrote:If the climate control is on 'auto' I think the fan is supposed to run all the time, so if it's stopping and starting I assume there's a fault. I'm sure that someone with more tech knowledge can expand on this (or correct me!)

:iagree: If the Climate is set to Auto then it might be that the AirCon is starting straight up, which requests slow speed fan. So it could be that your fan is on it's way out, or hopefully just the resistor, if you have the newer type fan.

I know the Climate on my Civ has been working very hard lately to keep the car cool. Think mine needs a re-gas to get it back from cool to ice cold - sorry I digress.

The test for the fan is to set the Climate to Demist the front screen with the ignition on - engine doesn't need to be running - and the fan should start - with the engine off you should be able to clearer hear what it is doing.

Chris
Chris
Member No. 143
Mods so far: LED sidelights, interior lights and number plate lamps, Rover Xenon Headlights, Kenlowe Fan, Synergy 2 and EGR Bypass

Posted 02 Jul 2010, 19:04 #3 

takestock
Hello Mr Lightpainter sir, now, your car is 2004 KV6 and it will probably have a two speed fan and resistor fitted.

I am assuming in this weather you have the air con on.

Usually your fan will come on at a slow constant speed that you may not hear.

If the resistor fails for the slow speed, the fast speed comes on and sounds like a hovercraft, stays on for a few seconds then switches off. Then it repeats the cycle continuously. You can confirm that yours is a two speed fan by looking through the radiator grill. Just behind the fan, at about the 2 o'clock position you will see a silver resister around 1/2 inch thick and 2 to 3 inches long, this is the culprit.

Under £15 to buy from Jules is the upgraded gold version. Trouble is it is usually a bumper off job to fit it unless it is a mk1 75, then it can be done by just removing the grill. If you were closer I could have done it for you. :)

Hope that helps.
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 02 Jul 2010, 19:24 #4 

Lightpainter
Thanks Dave I’ll have a look tomorrow, and I can probably fit it myself with a bit of motivation. Lol

Posted 02 Jul 2010, 19:36 #5 

MrB
takestock wrote:Hello Mr Lightpainter sir, now, your car is 2004 KV6 and it will probably have a two speed fan and resistor fitted.

I am assuming in this weather you have the air con on.

Usually your fan will come on at a slow constant speed that you may not hear.

If the resistor fails for the slow speed, the fast speed comes on and sounds like a hovercraft, stays on for a few seconds then switches off. Then it repeats the cycle continuously. You can confirm that yours is a two speed fan by looking through the radiator grill. Just behind the fan, at about the 2 o'clock position you will see a silver resister around 1/2 inch thick and 2 to 3 inches long, this is the culprit.

Under £15 to buy from Jules is the upgraded gold version. Trouble is it is usually a bumper off job to fit it unless it is a mk1 75, then it can be done by just removing the grill. If you were closer I could have done it for you. :)

Hope that helps.

Knew someone with far more knowledge than me would come along and sort it for you.

I know a little about this, as have the opposite problem to you on mine. Fan not working at all. But same test to see whether the fan was working or not. Mines the old 3 speed, so I can't just replace the resistor. Is costing me just under £150 for a Kenlowe kit from Jules and roughly a day of my time to fit it.

Hope it goes well for you. At least it works on high, wouldn't want to be completely without a fan in recent weather.
Chris
Member No. 143
Mods so far: LED sidelights, interior lights and number plate lamps, Rover Xenon Headlights, Kenlowe Fan, Synergy 2 and EGR Bypass

Posted 02 Jul 2010, 20:07 #6 

Lightpainter
Hi Lads, thanks for all the advice, I have just ordered the DIY resistor from Jules’s EBay site.
I’ll let you all know if it does the trick!

Posted 04 Jul 2010, 21:05 #7 

takestock
Not a problem, just give us a shout if we can help anymore, one condition, more closeup pictures of spiders please :D
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 04 Jul 2010, 21:16 #8