Now I remember why I love Norton products so much by raistlin

raistlin
Actually, I don't. I'm being facetious.

However, a colleague told me that there is a new version of Ghost out so I downloaded it and foolishly ran the install.

My whole PC ground to a crawl and eventually, Norton tells me it can't continue. There's a surprise.

Tested it and sure enough it won't run.

Went to uninstall it, Norton tells me it can't uninstall itself :evil:

I should have known. I just should have known.

NORTON - THE WORST VIRUS IN THE WORLD.
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 21 Jun 2010, 18:55 #1 

Mike
Oh I so agree. Norton is and always has been pants. good luck with getting rid of it.it clings like a dying man...............

Mike

Posted 21 Jun 2010, 19:00 #2 

Ragman
It's the only application I know where the supplier has to develop a special uninstall package as the built in uninstall does nowt

Posted 21 Jun 2010, 19:46 #3 

longbridgezt190
hi paul , boot up your pc laptop in safe mode . then do a search for all related items of norton and remove them all ,including the ones in the reg . restart and all should be fine :) worked for me but mine was bootleg .....

Posted 21 Jun 2010, 19:59 #4 

raistlin
longbridgezt190 wrote:hi paul , boot up your pc laptop in safe mode . then do a search for all related items of norton and remove them all ,including the ones in the reg . restart and all should be fine :) worked for me but mine was bootleg .....

I got rid of it by a circuitous route so arcane that it probably cursed the local population ;)

Why is it always Norton? Why does the computer always seem a little slower once anything Norton has infected it?
Paul

Posted 21 Jun 2010, 20:26 #5 

ems ltd
Norton Commander was okay, if a bit basic. Their more recent products do seem to be very processor hungry, and the upgrade process impossible to complete.

Posted 21 Jun 2010, 21:27 #6 

Mad-Monkey
I've had the same trouble with Norton and McAfee. Don't use either now! Each have a seperate removal tool for when the uninstall doesn't work!! Blimey!

Posted 21 Jun 2010, 21:37 #7 

raistlin
I remember Norton when it was the last word in utility software. Mind you, the OS of choice at that time was MSDOS 3.3. and GUI meant what happened to chocolate in the sun ;)

Seems to me Norton went downhill from then ;)
Paul

Posted 21 Jun 2010, 21:46 #8 

SpongeBob
When I had a PC Norton was a pain in the proverbial. I got a copy of the commercial version that was a heck of a lot better by leaps and bounds in terms of using up resources etc.

Posted 21 Jun 2010, 21:50 #9 

Jürgen
raistlin wrote:I remember Norton when it was the last word in utility software. Mind you, the OS of choice at that time was MSDOS 3.3. and GUI meant what happened to chocolate in the sun ;)

Seems to me Norton went downhill from then ;)

Norton was quite good in these days. But it was doomed when this big yellow company took over. ;)

Posted 21 Jun 2010, 22:08 #10 

JohnDotCom
I use Symantec Corporate versions of Norton and they run fine,
using hardly any resources and fast updates days before available to
Joe Public. Expensive? Oh yes but used by most in the Avation Industry.
But why can't they do a retail/public version?
No money in it I suppose.
John

"My lovely car now sold onto a very happy new owner.
I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 22 Jun 2010, 00:38 #11 

PaulT
JohnDotCom wrote:I use Symantec Corporate versions of Norton and they run fine,
using hardly any resources and fast updates days before available to
Joe Public. Expensive? Oh yes but used by most in the Avation Industry.
But why can't they do a retail/public version?
No money in it I suppose.

But surely they are losing money by all the bad publicity putting people off buying it - I changed from Norton to Kaspersky.
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 22 Jun 2010, 18:27 #12 

raistlin
PaulT wrote:I changed from Norton to Kaspersky.

Ah, now Kaspersky. I use their Internet Security package. What a delight to use compared with others :)
Paul

Posted 22 Jun 2010, 20:15 #13 

hbb
(Site Admin)
Norton was indeed very good some years ago, even in the era of Windows 95. Symantec really screwed it when they bought the company. Oddly, as someone said, the Symantec corporate AV is pretty good - although it doesn't always catch a number of common threats that are "in the wild". Installing it properly is a bit hit-&-miss (done it for 10's of PCs) and uninstalling it is also not fun. The console for it that runs on the server is mostly OK but dead slow.

I used to re-sell KAV (Kaspersky) to clients, especially the server version but gave that up when (a) it got almost as slow as Norton (let's not even start on Macafee) and even more bloated. It also started lying - telling me that a program that happened to be built in the same way as some pirated software contained a "generic trojan": there is no such thing. It only has to lie to me once & I don't trust it any more. The server console for the corporate version is crap. It's buggy, dead slow & if you're really unlucky can lock up the server terminal :{ I moved from KAV to AVG Free Edition but that's turned into bloatware (and also lies) as well.

These days I recommend Avira Free which catches almost everything you're likely to encounter, is fast - and doesn't use a ton of resources. It also doesn't come with a load of so-called "protection services" I don't want!
This space accidentally left blank/

Posted 22 Jun 2010, 20:55 #14