No Wonder MG/Rover Went Bust! by zojosc

zojosc
Why could'nt they make things to last??????

I spent a whole hour washing the 75 this morning, even got out the detailing spray and window shine! Straped in to go to Toddington train station to see some steam engines and hopefully Honeysuckle Weeks as they were having a fourties weekend (no one was allowed to dress in German or SS clothes which seemed a bit strange as without them the war would'nt have happened and Vera Lynn's agent would have got the sack but hey ho)

Anyway I digress a little but to put things in a nut shell the car would'nt start! Seems the MG/Rover battery that was fitted 10years ago has given up.....bloody poor show I say.

Now the problem........has my radio got a code because I sure don't have it?!?!
"Keep Smilin'"
Andy

Posted 28 Apr 2013, 11:53 #1 

Last edited by zojosc on 28 Apr 2013, 12:52, edited 1 time in total.

MrDoodles
zojosc wrote:Now the problem........has my radio got a code because I sure don't have it?!?!

You'll find out when you fit the new battery!

Posted 28 Apr 2013, 11:59 #2 

zojosc
Well MrDoodles that was just the positive answer I need......have a good day sir! :-D
"Keep Smilin'"
Andy

Posted 28 Apr 2013, 12:06 #3 

MrDoodles
zojosc wrote:Well MrDoodles that was just the positive answer I need......have a good day sir! :-D

Well if you don't have the code, no point worrying about it until you fit the new battery! ;)

Posted 28 Apr 2013, 16:01 #4 

Jumper
It seems so basic I hesitate to mention it, but here goes anyway, and it's offered as a constructive thought: I found some hand-written numbers in my Driver's Handbook with the prefix 'Rad'. I assumed it was the radiator type but turned out to be the radio code. Didn't tell anyone though.

Posted 29 Apr 2013, 10:42 #5 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Radio codes were sometimes as you say scribbled in the handbook, sometimes scratched onto the body of the unit. the last four digits of the VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) were sometimes used as well. If you are in need of a code you can contact any Xpart dealer who will be able to supply you with the number for your unit. Contact member Xpart02 "Stu" if in doubt.

Posted 29 Apr 2013, 10:56 #6 

zojosc
Cheers guys, I will try to keep power supplied via jump leads while I swap batteries. I'm sure this must be possible?
"Keep Smilin'"
Andy

Posted 29 Apr 2013, 18:13 #7 

Bermudan 75
zojosc wrote:Cheers guys, I will try to keep power supplied via jump leads while I swap batteries. I'm sure this must be possible?

I would have thought so, once the engine is running the alternator supplies the power. Once did the same thing to a car but not a modern model.

Cheers

Mike

Posted 01 May 2013, 19:46 #8 

Duncan
It's possible, but risky as if you touch the body with your spanner while removing the positive terminal, it could prove messy.

There are devices that will provide a very small current for the radio code, without the risk.

By the way what radio?

Posted 02 May 2013, 17:40 #9 

zojosc
Duncan wrote:It's possible, but risky as if you touch the body with your spanner while removing the positive terminal, it could prove messy.

There are devices that will provide a very small current for the radio code, without the risk.

By the way what radio?

I know you are right Duncan. I have seen these devices somewhere but don't know what they are called, can you give me a link. The radio is a Symphony.
Better safe than sorry.
"Keep Smilin'"
Andy

Posted 02 May 2013, 18:40 #10