Need help quickly please by raistlin

raistlin
Does anybody have a 107mm diamond core drill with an SDS arbor I could borrow please?

Happy to cover postage etc.
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 16 Jun 2013, 16:44 #1 

kandyman
We use core drills time to time but we normally end up hireing one for the day.

Posted 16 Jun 2013, 17:49 #2 

raistlin
Thanks Andy. Good idea. It got me started looking around.

I had a look at prices for hire locally... and discovered I can buy the whole kit and kaboodle from fleabay for less than half the cost of a day's hire so I bought one :)

If it does the job I'll be quids in, if it survives to do more than the one job I have in mind, that'll be a bonus. I didn't realise they were so cheap. I expect quality suffers of course but as I said, I only need it to cut one hole.
Paul

Posted 16 Jun 2013, 19:12 #3 

humphshumphs
Just remember not to use hammer with a diamond core bit. (I've had customers use hammer and destroy diamond cores instantly). Also take it slow and clean out the hole regularly otherwise it can stick.
Richard

Posted 16 Jun 2013, 19:21 #4 

raistlin
Thanks Richard
Paul

Posted 16 Jun 2013, 20:03 #5 

Zeb
I had a look for you Paul but cannot help I am afraid! :-(

Posted 17 Jun 2013, 00:10 #6 

raistlin
Thanks Carl :)
Paul

Posted 17 Jun 2013, 05:49 #7 

ceedy
recently used one for a new Boiler vent ... cost 28 quid for the day . drill and diamond core bit..

had to go thro' a 18"" stone wall ... was hard work and took a long time ( arms were dropping off at the end) but did a good neat hole .

You do need a very powerful low speed drill to do this ! ;)

As said before ,take your time, there's no real clearances on the bit to get the dust out , make sure you stop before you hit the depth of the core bit , then break out the cut section with a chisel .
I found it best not to use anything as a lube as it tends to gum up the works . ;)

C.
Got one for Me , Then one for her, and now a big one for me again, All BLOO! Well saves on the touch up paint, Now Number one son's Spoilt it all by getting a Firefrost 1.8T

Posted 17 Jun 2013, 08:22 #8 

zojosc
With diamond cores you must make sure you have a drill with a clutch on it. I work in a tool hire shop and know of broken thumbs when the core "bites" Well worth hiring the proper equipment for the quality and advise.
"Keep Smilin'"
Andy

Posted 17 Jun 2013, 09:50 #9 

raistlin
My fleabay 107mm core drill did the job admirably today :)
Paul

Posted 22 Jun 2013, 16:56 #10 

humphshumphs
raistlin wrote:My fleabay 107mm core drill did the job admirably today :)

Good to hear.... and you've got it for when you want to make a wall look like swiss cheese :gmc:
Richard

Posted 22 Jun 2013, 17:28 #11