MOT service by Arctic

Arctic
(Trader)
Once again the MOT is coming to it's date 24th April, so today i started to get the NUK ready.

Since the last MOT it has had a new rear subframe with upper and lower arms, drop links.

Front brake hoses, had it's usual autumn service beginning of September, oil, oil filter, air filter, fuel filter, PCV (Positive Crankcase Ventilation Valve) filter, pollen filter, clean manifold & EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation Valve) also MAP sensor.

Four new tyres and four wheel alignment.

Today the air filter was changed.

Remove engine cover three 8mm bolts.
Image1

Image2

Image3

Image4

Image5

Once you have removed the 8mm bolts, you can lift the engine cover free from the engine bay, and lay it down safe.
Image6

Image7

The next procedure is too remove the air ducting, or at least the two screws holding it to the manifold.
Image8

Image9

Image10

Put the two screws safe with the engine cover.
Image11

You can now pull the duct backwards to release it from the air filter cover.
Image12

Image13

If you were only changing the air filter, that would be enough for you to be able to removed the filter cover, but as i am also changing out the PCV filter i remove the duct altogether, this also gives me chance to inspect any hose etc below.

Remove the three retaining bolts 8mm on some cars, 10mm on mine i have changed them.
Image14

This now slides out from the slam panel
Image15

Add it to the engine cover along with the bolts.
Image16

If it was 12 months since i changed the manifold then that would be removed also, but since it was swapped out in September then it will just be checked along with the EGR.
Image17

To do this i removed the large jubilee clip.
Image18

Then i shine a torch into the EGR and into the manifold to check for any gunk.
Image19

I'm happy with both, so no change until next September 2023
Image20

Refit the hose.

Now the air filter cover can be removed to change the air filter, there are five allen key captive bolts 5mm to undo two at the rear and three on the top of the cover.

Start with the left rear one.
Image21

Image22

The the right corner bolt.
Image23

At the same time remove the hose attached to the side of the cover, it is in a clip, mine has broken so no need to unclip it.
Image24

You can now undo the top three bolts on the cover.
Image25

Image26

Image27

Remove the oil cap.
Image28

Image29

The air filter cover can now be lifted from the cam cover.
Image30

Image31

Check the air filter mine is not that bad really but it will still be changed out.
Image32

Image33

Image34

Add the clean filter making sure it is seated correctly, both ends.
Image35

Image36

If you were only changing out the air filter you could now refit the cover.
Image37

Note i have the MAF (Mass Air Flow Sensor) sensor mod on my cover, which helps you gain access to the MAF insert without removing the cover.
Image38

Line up the cover and once you are satisfied, the bolts can now be nipped up again start at the rear left, make sure this has taken hold.
Image39

Right corner again make sure it's taken hold.
Image40

Top three next nipped up only.
Image41

Once all have be nipped up, you can then do another 1/4 turn on each one.

Offer the air duct back to the car inserting into the slam panel first.
Image42

Then onto the air filter cover.
Image43

Add the two centre holding screws to the air duct.
Image44

Image45

If that is all you are doing the air filter the engine cover can be refitted.
Image46

Image47

Seeing that the PCV filter is being checked and changed out i did not fit the air filter or engine cover back but have done so for those who just want to change out the air filter.

PCV filter to follow.
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 23 Mar 2023, 02:10 #1 

Jürgen
Thank you Steve for documenting your maintenance work. These step-by-step instructions are helpful (as always). :thumbsup:
BTW that reminds me to check the PCV filter and the EGR valve ...

Posted 23 Mar 2023, 12:07 #2 

Arctic
(Trader)
This is part of how i get my tourer ready for it's MOT every year, i like to coincide the service near to the MOT date as possible. 24th April.

Following on from the above post after changing the air filter, next is the PCV filter.
Image1

It will look like this but dirty when removed, i have whole units so i can change them out, what you will have is just the blue filter, an O-ring and some seals.
Image2

Image3

First you need to remove the injector loom, this is held on with three torx bolts, a 5mm socket will undo them nicely.
Image4

Image5

Remove the three torx and put them safe.
Image6

Image7

Next step is to undo the four injector connections.
Image8

You do this by pressing the end of the connector, on all four they will pop up.
Image9

You then pull the connector of the the injector x four
Image10

Lift the loom and set it back into the air filter box.
Image11

Now you can undo the four allen key captive bolts holding the PCV unit on to the cam cover.
Image12

Two in the middle
Image13

One on each corner.
Image14

The unit with the filter connected to it is now ready to be lifted out.
Image15

Image16

You can see from this filter it basically is still ok as it was changed in September 2022, it will still be swapped out, has i do this twice a year.
Image17

Next you will need to fit the new one, as above i already have an whole unit with a new filter added so it's a straightforward swap over, you will need to remove your old filter and add the new one to the unit which is easy.
Image18

Lower the changed out filter into place and nip up the bolts, do the two corner ones first.
Image19

Then the tow middle ones, now turn all four another 1/4 that's enough.
Image20

Image21

Now you can refit the injector loom, push the connections firmly onto the injectors making sure you hear a click, double check they are secure.
Image22

Add the three torx screws back onto the loom to hold it into place.
Image23

Image24

The PCV filter is now changed and fitted, all that remains now is to refit the air filter cover, air duct, and engine cover.

This was covered in the above post for the air filter.
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 24 Mar 2023, 01:42 #3