mk1 premium bumper by russell brown

russell brown
hi,
hope you all had good christmas.
looking for small project after i have sorted my clutch gremlins.
there is a premium bumper for sale on fleabay for 60 notes and apparently has a joblot of them. is it possible with (i'm guessing) fibreglass, hot glue gun, to fit headlight apperture from mk1 bumper and fit to my w plate, in effect a mk1 premium bumper?
or failing that buying a zt front bumper and fitting my 75 front grille to it and chrome strips and have a sporty looking, subtle to general public.
any thoughts, opinions or suggestions on this very welcome.
happy new year Russell
i asked nothing of no one and guess what...

Posted 30 Dec 2010, 18:44 #1 

PaulT
There will be no chrome bits with them. You will find rocking horse droppings on ebay before you find the chrome.
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 30 Dec 2010, 20:28 #2 

russell brown
nothing wrong with custom grille if going along this path. as long as good quality/finish/taste.
wondering if its worth the aggro with cutting mk1 headlight section of mk1 bumper to then butcher onto new one. i think having grille made with a bentley style mesh would look nice. if this is going to go nowhere i might just take the zt bumper option.
i guess im just the type who likes to keep messing with the car?
already done a few things in only couple months i like to upgrade the car with something original?

Posted 30 Dec 2010, 21:20 #3 

Duncan
I don't think Paul was talking about the grille. The problem is the bit's around the grille which aren't available.

Of course you could do something yourself. There's self adhesive chrome strips which might make something quite nice.

I'm not sure what your skills are in doing what you are suggesting. Done well it could look great, but when I tried this kind of stuff years ago it always looked worse than I thought it was going to. But then that's more a comment on my skills than anything else.

Posted 30 Dec 2010, 21:40 #4 

Tourerfogey
russell brown wrote:nothing wrong with custom grille if going along this path. as long as good quality/finish/taste.
wondering if its worth the aggro with cutting mk1 headlight section of mk1 bumper to then butcher onto new one. i think having grille made with a bentley style mesh would look nice. if this is going to go nowhere i might just take the zt bumper option.
i guess im just the type who likes to keep messing with the car?
already done a few things in only couple months i like to upgrade the car with something original?

By all means keep 'messing' with your car, just make sure you don't mess it up. ;)

Posted 30 Dec 2010, 22:14 #5 

russell brown
thats exactly why i always ask for this kind of input its all to easy to go too far or not execute a good finish. there are some foul examples of max power wannabes on the road. i think "blending" a zt and 75 bumper would be the safest option but a successfull mk1 premuim would be the dogs. unless anyones got a different idea? what would you do if it was your mark1. i welcome all input, whats the difference between the headlights on each mark. there doesnt seem to be much infact the mk2 looks like a mk1 with a cover if you can see what i mean?

Posted 31 Dec 2010, 01:10 #6 

JohnDotCom
Comparing MK1 and MK2 75's, MK1 had four individual lamps the MK2 has one and different power wash routing, different indicators and spots to I believe.

I tried using the Audi chrome and adapting it, Awful and the new Rowe 750 (or whatever) chrome trim don't fit either!
John

"My lovely car now sold onto a very happy new owner.
I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 31 Dec 2010, 13:17 #7