Maintenance Checks Weekly. by Arctic

• Related topics: (no related topics)

Arctic
(Trader)
Hopefully I am not teaching people to suck eggs so to speak, I thought I would put together in a pictorial how to what I do each weekend to my car.

I normally carry these checks out on a Saturday or Sunday, when I get the time morning or afternoon but always without fail, this gives me piece of mind that the car is ready for the oncoming weeks traveling.

My first port of call it to the local BP or Esso to add petrol and check my tyre pressures.

Set the tyre pressure machine to my PSI which is set out in the MGZT manual 32psi
Image1

pressurise each wheel in turn including the spare in the boot.
Image2

Image3

At the same time check the tyres for splits cracks or nails all round the car.
Image4

Before I left home to sort out the tyre pressures I set the OBD (On Board Diagnostics) to 19 then 7 to check the
temperature and leave the car running while add the pressure.
Image5

With the temp up to 100c the fan kicks in the low speed to bring the temp back down, check this through the front grill
Image6

Temp moving down nicely as it should if all is well with the thermostat
Image7

My next task is the famous plenums I still check each week even if it as been dry just to make sure no debris as entered the lower plenum tube.
Image8

I start at the OS driver.
Image9

Remove the out cover and using a torch check in the plenum chamber
Image10

Image11

Image12

Next do the OS passenger by removing the outer cover and exposing the spyhole mod if you have it, if not you will have to remove the inner plenum tray.
Image13

With the rubber bung removed you can use your plenum rod of your choice, to rod the plenum tube.
Image14

Image15

Also check the outer wing tubes at the same time.
Image16

Image17

Before refitting the NS top outer cover check the brake fluid level top up if needed, if it is down more than the lower level and it was ok last week when you checked it ? then look for leaks in the braking system.
Image18

Plenum area sorted now you can move on to the other fluid checks
Image19

Washers bottle top up if needed
Image20

Next power steering fluid remove the cap have a rag ready.
Image21

Place the cap on to the rag and give it a wipe.
Image22

Image23

Reinsert the cap screw it down remove and check the level, once again top up if need be.
Image24

Next I check the Vis Motors work I am lucky in this respect as I have self testing ones supplied by our own Mr Vis (stocktake)
Image25

Image26

If you would like the self testing vis motors for your car I am sure Dave (stocktake) would be able to sort you out, drop him a PM.

I now turn my attention to checking all the lights work as they should.

Front lights
Image27

Indicators front and side
Image28

Image29

Now check the rear side, brake and indicator lights work.
Image30

You will need someone to press the brake pedal to check the brake lights

Check the number plate lights both work.
Image31

Image32

Remove the key so you can check the gong alerting you have left the lights on.
Image33

Reinsert the key and turn it to position II
Image34

Make sure that the ABS (Antilock Braking System) light passes the initial test no air bag lights are on.
Image35

Set the OBD to section 2.0
Image36

Image37

Press it again to self test the dials etc
Image38

Image39

Check the battery terminals are nice and secure.
Image40

Image41

Section 2 oil level checks and water checks, along with the breather pipes etc.
Arctic.
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 27 May 2016, 00:38 #1 

Arctic
(Trader)
Section two of the weekly check oil level, coolant water, breather pipes etc.

By now after the drive back home ( 5 miles )and doing the previous checks, the engine will had time to settle to check the oil level.

Remove the dip stick from the oil tube once again have the rag ready.
Image42

Wipe the dip stick clean leave it for a few seconds.
Image43

Remove the coolant cap slowly just in case it is still hot and pressurised, you may hear a hiss if so go slowly.
Image44

Check that the coolant O-rings are in good condition and not flat but convex like these are, if you have not already fitted Viton one my advice would be to do so when you can, these are free at the nano meets.

Image45

Make sure the level is just a smidge above the high level 3ml maybe that is how I like some like it bang on the level step.
Image46

Now back to the oil level as by this time after removing the dip stick a few second/ minutes ago the oil will have been pushed down the tube due to gravity well that my thinking, can not say it is right for sure.

Reinsert the dip stick 25 second count and remove to check the level.
Image47

As you can see mine is just above the low level I like it maybe 2ml higher
Image48

I will add little oil just enough to bring it up 2ml
Image49

Image50

Topped up cap refitted oil level sorted.
Image51

My next job is to remove the engine cover two 8m bolts removed with a socket.
Image52

Once the engine cover is safely out of the way check all breather pipe joins for security, make sure they are not leaking if so you will need to sort them out.
Image53

Image54

follow the breather pipes to the ends and check that they are inserted properly, both by the throttle body and into the throttle body.
Image55

Also check at the front
Image56

Even though my temperature is ok and my fan kicks in when it should I always like to check into the V of the engine with a torch for thermostat leaks, as mine was changed just over two years now and still ok.
Image57

Image58

Image59

Image60

Checks finished for this week now if any member checks others items in their weekly checks please add to the thread keep motoring Arctic.
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 27 May 2016, 01:35 #2