Mad? ... or bad? by raistlin (Page 1 of 2)

• Related topics: (no related topics)

raistlin
I bought a reversing camera from a trader on fleabay to replace VeeKay's ailing one and decided to treat her to a CCD device rather than the cheaper CMOS type.

I found a camera which looked about right and was said to be CCD in the description. Thinking it was cheap however, I contacted the trader asking for confirmation that the device was, in fact CCD.

I got rather a snotty message back stating that OF COURSE it was CCD followed by a comment to the effect that the trader concerned was way too cautious of his reputation to take a chance and why did people think eBay traders were always trying to rip them off?

I was impressed... slightly, and bought the camera, especially as it was at a bargain price :)

It arrived this morning and, of course, it was a CMOS device :hissyfit:

I contacted the trader who sent me a message back stating:- "CMOS, CCD. What's the difference. Its only a marketing gimmick"

Long story short, he has refunded me in full and tells me to do as I wish with the camera.

So, he is trading in these sort of devices and he thinks CCD is the same as CMOS? (Mad)

or, he assumes that all buyers are mugs and don't know the difference (Bad).
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 08 Apr 2013, 19:03 #1 

kandyman
That's bad, I don't understand some sellers :(

It's one of the things on my list to do this year so make sure you let us know what one you brought and how it performs.

cheers

Posted 08 Apr 2013, 19:17 #2 

raistlin
As far as I'm aware Andy, anything with a Sony 1/4" CCD lens is the one to get. I haven't got around to buying one yet as they cost considerably more than the CMOS cameras but I'll let you know when I do.
Paul

Posted 08 Apr 2013, 19:57 #3 

kandyman
Cheers Paul.

Posted 08 Apr 2013, 21:48 #4 

Bolin
Hmm could be a lot of people not getting what they think they are buying.

Sales of Goods Act 1979?

Posted 09 Apr 2013, 13:56 #5 

raistlin
In further answer to your question Andy, I saw one of THESE in use last night and, although it isn't a Sony CCD, I was impressed enough to buy one for VeeKay. The difference between this and a CMOS camera is like chalk and cheese.
Paul

Posted 09 Apr 2013, 14:11 #6 

Last edited by raistlin on 09 Apr 2013, 16:10, edited 1 time in total.

1gp
I dont know anything about ccd & cmos.. but iam looking at getting a camera. could you please tell me what this is... it may help any other members being caught out... :)

Posted 09 Apr 2013, 15:43 #7 

raistlin
1gp wrote:I dont know anything about ccd & cmos.. but iam looking at getting a camera. could you please tell me what this is... it may help any other members being caught out... :)

There's nothing wrong with the CMOS cameras James :) I personally prefer the CCD type as they are capable of producing a better image, both in daylight and low light conditions.

But when all's said and done, it is merely a device to show you the situation behind your car, not something to produce a photographic masterpiece :lol: So yer pays yer money... and hopefully gets what you want :)

As I now know though, one might be suspicious of a supposed CCD device if the price was much less than £50, whereas a perfectly good CMOS device can be had for a tenner from fleabay :)

I hope that helps?
Paul

Posted 09 Apr 2013, 16:10 #8 

kandyman
raistlin wrote:In further answer to your question Andy, I saw one of THESE in use last night and, although it isn't a Sony CCD, I was impressed enough to buy one for VeeKay. The difference between this and a CMOS camera is like chalk and cheese.

Thanks for the link.

How/where would you mount this ?

Posted 09 Apr 2013, 19:30 #9 

raistlin
Mine is attached to the underside of the chrome trim / boot handle Andy - where the numberplate light lives. The new one will be going in exactly the same place. Gives the best possible viewing angles I think.

I'd use the supplied bracket and I drilled a small hole into the boot fitted with a grommet for the cable and sealed with silicon once fully fitted and tested.
Paul

Posted 09 Apr 2013, 19:42 #10 

kandyman
The supplied mounting bracket has me a bit confused but it don't take much :)

I'll look forward to seeing your pictures and report on how well it works before placing my order.

Thanks

Posted 09 Apr 2013, 20:16 #11 

kandyman
Has this arrived yet ?

Posted 14 Apr 2013, 06:13 #12 

raistlin
kandyman wrote:Has this arrived yet ?

It certainly has :)
Paul

Posted 14 Apr 2013, 08:32 #13 

kandyman
raistlin wrote:

It certainly has :)

Oh you tease :)

Posted 14 Apr 2013, 09:31 #14 

raistlin
Still in its box Andy. SWMBO has been a very sick likkle puppy this last week so very limited to what I could get done. I only just managed to get my H/U remote adaptor fitted. I'll let you know as soon as it is fitted.
Paul

Posted 14 Apr 2013, 10:22 #15 

kandyman
raistlin wrote:Still in its box Andy. SWMBO has been a very sick likkle puppy this last week so very limited to what I could get done. I only just managed to get my H/U remote adaptor fitted. I'll let you know as soon as it is fitted.

Sorry to hear that hope Mr's Raistlin feels better soon.

Posted 14 Apr 2013, 14:08 #16 

raistlin

OK Andy, I got it fitted today. A marvellously clear image. Knocks the CMOS camera I had out of the ball-park, to coin a phrase.

Nothing wrong with CMOS camera, as I said, but this just seems so much better for the price I paid.

Well chuffed :)
Paul

Posted 23 Apr 2013, 12:55 #17 

kandyman
Thanks for the update Paul.

Any chance of a picture of it fitted :)

Anything to watch out for on the install ?

Posted 23 Apr 2013, 17:59 #18 

raistlin
Here you go :)

No real gotchas Andy. You have to take the plinth off and drill a series of holes in the numberplate light mounting then rout out so that the connector box from the camera will fit through but a generous application of silicon filler, re-fit the plinth and there you go. Almost looks OEM. Very unobtrusive overall unless you're specifically looking for the camera.

In the first picture you can just see the grommet for the cable from the old camera which will receive a further application of silicon filler tomorrow. The cable from the new one goes straight up into the plinth so is completely hidden.

Plenty of washing up liquid (or KY jelly if you've any lying around :lol:) to get the phono plug through the conduit from the boot lid to the body.

Took me just under three hours from opening the boot to refitting the head unit and switching on :)

Some of that time, of course, was spent replying to the myriad of people who walked past and asked the question "Working on your car then?".

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Paul

Posted 23 Apr 2013, 18:24 #19 

kandyman
Thanks Paul,

I forgot you don't have the standard head unit anymore, I have the hi-line setup so only have to connect it to the unit in the boot, so that'll save me a few hours :)

Thanks again.

Posted 23 Apr 2013, 18:47 #20