Lorry speeds increasing by PaulT

• Related topics: (no related topics)

PaulT
In case you did not know but lorries over 7.5T on single carriageway roads are limited to a max of 40 MPH - changing next year:

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-28459472

A couple of years ago the Transport Department decided to reroute the A16 and built a single carriageway road. Now from depots in Spalding umpteen refrigerated lorries take the vegetable produce of Lincolnshire over the country. Some lorries do keep to the 40MPH limit whilst others exceed it.

Behind those travelling at the speed limit are normally a large queue of cars. With frustration and a keenness to get on sometimes cars overtake when they should not and the result is another tragedy. Thus the route is designated a RED ROUTE because it is one that is dangerous.

Now Lincolnshire is poorly served by good quality roads - would love to know why they did not dual the A16 with two lanes each way.
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 24 Jul 2014, 17:26 #1 

Dave
Motorist groups welcomed the change, but the Green Party said it would involve "greatly increasing the risk and severity of crashes".

Doubt it, as most trucks currently go 56mph on single carriageway roads - so there's a potential with the limit being raised to 50mph, that a lot of trucks might actually slow down!

In the old days (20+ years ago when I was a trucker) there were no speed limiters and it was "accepted" that on single carriageway roads trucks went 50mph. On dual carriageways and motorways trucks went 60mph. Obviously this depended on the road and was not done when unsafe

Since the limiters dropped max speeds to 56mph this made a lot of difference to the (main) motorway work which in turn led to trucks going faster on single lane roads, so in essence, this new rule might make things safer!

Posted 24 Jul 2014, 19:39 #2 

PaulT
As I said Dave the slow trucks (or ones observing the 40mph limit) do seem to lead to accidents as frustrated car drivers, who may have been stuck behind for several miles suddenly see a chance to overtake that is not safe - the result head on crashes.
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 25 Jul 2014, 06:47 #3 

JohnDotCom
More haste less speed. At the end of the day on single carriageways you are only as fast as the slowest vehicle.
People should just allow more time for their journeys so they arrive on time safely.
Cost is main thing stopping dual landing most new roads. We have similar problems on many country roads in the summer caused by caravan owners who are scared to death of the small spaces they have to drive through due to lack of experience and farm vehicles that seem to have lost all courtesy in pulling over frequently when driving along at 20mph for miles on end without stopping.
In the future with more and more vehicles on the same amount of roads will mean slower spreads and more frustration.
It's the same with parking with those without drives but havering two or three cars per property trying to park closest to it!
John

"My lovely car now sold onto a very happy new owner.
I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 25 Jul 2014, 08:03 #4 

Dave
Lincolnshire's roads seem to have got busier than ever, although I'm sure that they are still fairly quiet compared to other areas.

I recall many moons ago (around 1997) returning home from my then girlfriends house near Skegness at around 12:30 on Christmas morning. I know that you would expect it to be quiet then (apart from Santa!) but in the journey of approx 45 miles I saw a grand total of three other vehicles on the road!

Posted 25 Jul 2014, 09:25 #5 

Duncan
My new journey to work is only eighteen miles, but the first five or so are on really tiny back roads. Mostly single track. Some drivers are really courteous, knowing that we have to share. Others do stupid speeds oblivious to what might be round the next blind corner, possibly someone doing the same coming the other way. Tractors too are very mixed. Some behave reasonably, others treat their vehicle as a weapon to run others off the roads. I tend to see more people walking, and wildlife, than other vehicles though.

Posted 25 Jul 2014, 15:32 #6