Licence plate light error by phenonix

phenonix
My licence plate lights keep working then not working, using the no error canbus LEDs but had this problem with the ordinary bulbs.
One bulb stop working then sometimes both, then them come back on, might be loose bulbs but I have pinched in the holder to hold them solid but it still happens , have I read somewhere previously that this happens to our cars and is there a fix?

Posted 22 Aug 2010, 08:57 #1 

kandyman
One of the common problems is the circuit board, you have to take the boot plinth off and remove the circuit board and using a circuit tester you can work out what track is faulty and then just resolder.

Posted 22 Aug 2010, 09:38 #2 

carlpenn
I had this on my Car, then bought a 2nd hand one off ebay to replace and same fault was there.

However, I noticed in removing the Light unit, due to it being "stuck" to teh Boot lid with a foam / glue substance, it is easy to damage circuit board. Probably not teh best design ever lol

I found its the Bulb Clips on mine, they have become loose over time and now work intermittently

Rimmers do sell these at approx £30 + P&P.

Check Here: http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-GRID001654

EDIT: The Circuit board is behind the Rubbery Foam glue bit
Upgrades:

Fitted Electric Memory Seat, Leather Cubby Lid, Wood Dash, Message Centre.

Posted 23 Aug 2010, 14:00 #3 

phenonix
Thanks, that was going to be my next quuestion :D , where's the circuit board

Posted 23 Aug 2010, 21:36 #4 

carlpenn
phenonix wrote:Thanks, that was going to be my next quuestion :D , where's the circuit board

if memory serves me right, I think its more of a printed circuit board rather than a solid one, so not sure if there is any way you can solder it.
Upgrades:

Posted 24 Aug 2010, 18:17 #5 

phenonix
I'll have a look this weekend, hope it's just the prongs

Posted 24 Aug 2010, 21:13 #6 

carlpenn
phenonix wrote:I'll have a look this weekend, hope it's just the prongs

How did you get on with these?

I have just replaced mine with a new one from Rimmers. I noted that when I took my old one off, I had cracked the Light unit, obviously from tightening the bolts a little too much. Thought I would post in case you haven't started yet, if you take the light unit off, only hand tighten the middle two bolts until you see the black rubber seal at the top of the chrome cover flush with the body work.

Regards,

Carl.
Upgrades:

Posted 29 Aug 2010, 09:59 #7 

phenonix
Thanks for that,
I took it apart and could see nothing loose, so i really crimped the prongs over the bulbs this time, will wait to see what happens next.

Posted 29 Aug 2010, 11:04 #8 

MrB
Mine is a brand new unit and does this also. I think it is just a really bad design.

Where is the need for a circuit board, honestly?

I mean it's just 2 bulbs that come on with the lights.

Is the circuit board just there for the CanBus??

Chris
Chris
Member No. 143
Mods so far: LED sidelights, interior lights and number plate lamps, Rover Xenon Headlights, Kenlowe Fan, Synergy 2 and EGR Bypass

Posted 29 Aug 2010, 11:28 #9 

carlpenn
MrB wrote:Mine is a brand new unit and does this also. I think it is just a really bad design.

Where is the need for a circuit board, honestly?

I mean it's just 2 bulbs that come on with the lights.

Is the circuit board just there for the CanBus??

Chris

I would assume so as the Info Pack tells you when both lights are off, silly really as having one off is a good enough reason to get pulled, so never understood that myself, if you are putting technology in you may as well do it right :? .

Getting them off is a Nightmare too, as they stick to teh car and its so easy to break them if you are removing them, one idea I suggest to avoid damage to teh paint and unit, is to get an old Guitar string, Top E, and use it like a chesse slice, I did this on mine with no damage to teh cars paint and teh old unit.
Upgrades:

Posted 29 Aug 2010, 11:45 #10