KV6 Breather System by JakeWilson

JakeWilson
Sorry to plague with another technical problem.

The 190 is home and Dad has taken a quick look around - lone behold the camshaft oil seal has blown. There does appear to be a heck of a lot of oil. I'm guessing these engines don't have a PCV (Positive Crankcase Ventilation Valve) like the BMW lumps?

Does anyone know if the breather system on these has known issues or mods to be done. My worry is that if I replace the seal, all this oil and pressure will find somewhere else to go..

Thanks in advance,

Jake

Posted 12 Mar 2011, 18:29 #1 

Duncan
There is an issue, but it tends to be that a T piece splits.

The system vents straight into the inlet manifold, which is why you can end up with oil filled VIS (Variable Intake System) motors.

There were, however, a batch of duff seals a couple of years ago. If the belt has been changed, these may have been fitted and caused your problem.

Otherwise, just check the pipework for blockages.

Posted 12 Mar 2011, 18:46 #2 

Martin
I fitted an oil catch tank to mine.........would that help with Jakes problem?.......not to expensive off Ebay
MGZT-T V8 SUPERCHARGED Le Mans Green

Posted 12 Mar 2011, 19:55 #3 

Mick
(Site Admin)
The only place oil and pressure will be is within the engine, where it should be. If you are doing the belts you would be replacing the cam seals as part of the job.
Catch tank is a good idea but not an essential.

Posted 12 Mar 2011, 20:11 #4 

JakeWilson
Thanks all for the replies,

I'm just looking at Catch-Cans on e-bay now - has anyone any recommendations for kits - although some of the tanks look good, the pipework supplied looks pants.

Also, although I too suspect a cam seal - there is ALOT of oil in the engine bay.

Will keep you updated.

Jake

Posted 12 Mar 2011, 20:45 #5 

MN190
The breather system is under vacuum and it seem a greater on the smaller pipes
I have fitted this but this is to stop the gunge thats gets into the inlet manifold. Over time in ruins both the manifold and the vis motors

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0238390033

Posted 12 Mar 2011, 21:03 #6 

JakeWilson
Thanks for the reply on both sides :bowdown: is there a how-to anywhere or have you a picture so I can see where it gets plumbed into?

Much appreciated!

Jake

Posted 12 Mar 2011, 21:11 #7 

MN190
Depends on what type of journey the car makes most.
Short stop start journeys plumb into the smaller 7mm pipe
Long motorway journeys plumb into the larger pipe

I don't have any photos but have mine fitted like this - its a tight squeeze and you will need to take the battery out for the screws to hold it in place
http://forums.mg-rover.org/showthread.php?t=402794

I was intending to fit another one to the larger pipes and mount it on the right side using some of the spare three bolts already there.
Might be overkill but the difference in the performance is well worth it IMHO.
Plus the car no longer sounds like a diesel

Posted 12 Mar 2011, 21:18 #8 

Bernard
JakeWilson wrote:Thanks all for the replies,

I

Also, although I too suspect a cam seal - there is ALOT of oil in the engine bay.

Jake

There will be lots and lots of oil, I have seen an engine that had lost a cap. This was because they had not been renewed at the belt change. They can only be used once safely.
I don't like signatures, they take up too much screen space.

Posted 12 Mar 2011, 23:36 #9 

JakeWilson
Bernard wrote:
JakeWilson wrote:Thanks all for the replies,

I

Jake

There will be lots and lots of oil, I have seen an engine that had lost a cap. This was because they had not been renewed at the belt change. They can only be used once safely.

Apologies for not replying sooner Bernard - thank you for the advice. I've ordered some new caps off e-bay. Will have a look at the invoice of the garage that carried out the last cambelt change and see if there are any mention of them on it.

Jake

Posted 13 Mar 2011, 21:45 #10 

Bernard
JakeWilson wrote:
Apologies for not replying sooner Bernard - thank you for the advice. I've ordered some new caps off e-bay. Will have a look at the invoice of the garage that carried out the last cambelt change and see if there are any mention of them on it.

Jake

They are a bit of a pig to put in if the engine is fully assembled. Bad enough with the limited access during a belt change.
I don't like signatures, they take up too much screen space.

Posted 13 Mar 2011, 21:52 #11