Keyboard and Mouse Recommendation by Mad-Monkey

Mad-Monkey
Can anyone recommend a wired keyboard and mouse. I went to PCWorld and they didn't inspire me on the practical side. The wireless mice seemed far more ergonomic but there was nothing that was wired. I can't be done with millions of batteries, and the computer will be left on a fair bit, so I definately want away from the wireless. I'm mainly doing photo and video editing, so something comfortable on the hand would be nice.

I think a basic keyboard will do me, but the mouse is annoying. Any recommendation on a keyboard not too soft on the touch would be appreciated.

This is in addition to a graphics tablet. I'm not overly fond of the ergonomics on the tablet mice.

Many Thanks

Posted 10 Jun 2010, 20:00 #1 

FROGGY
Steer clear of USB wireless mice.
The USB ports are powered even if the PC is off, unless you turn it off at the socket.
My Logitech mouse eats 2 batteries every 4 weeks :o :o Not good!

Mick

Upholding a GREAT BRITISH tradition.

Posted 10 Jun 2010, 21:36 #2 

Mad-Monkey
FROGGY wrote:Steer clear of USB wireless mice.
The USB ports are powered even if the PC is off, unless you turn it off at the socket.
My Logitech mouse eats 2 batteries every 4 weeks :o :o Not good!

Mick

This is the thing, I have rechargeables, but its annoying! :angry: Plus im not fussy about wires. However they seem to have ditched the designs on the wired mice!

Posted 10 Jun 2010, 21:38 #3 

Jürgen
I'm using a rechargeable wireless mouse. So I don't have to worry about batteries, although I get the advantage of the "missing" wire. Just putting it onto the charger when not used.

Posted 10 Jun 2010, 21:43 #4 

Mick
(Site Admin)
I am a fan of the Kensington range of trackballs and mice. They do a good range of wired and wireless. very comfortable and very well built, reflected in the price. I also like the keyboards but I would suggest to try some out as they are all a bit different from each other in feel and noise levels.

http://eu.kensington.com/kensington/en/ ... rolit.aspx

Posted 10 Jun 2010, 23:32 #5 

Mad-Monkey
Jürgen wrote:I'm using a rechargeable wireless mouse. So I don't have to worry about batteries, although I get the advantage of the "missing" wire. Just putting it onto the charger when not used.

How long does it last between charges, or do you just pop it in the charger each day? Could be a possibility.

Posted 11 Jun 2010, 06:52 #6 

Mad-Monkey
Mick wrote:I am a fan of the Kensington range of trackballs and mice. They do a good range of wired and wireless. very comfortable and very well built, reflected in the price. I also like the keyboards but I would suggest to try some out as they are all a bit different from each other in feel and noise levels.

I quite like the look of the Pro-fit mouse. Cheers Mick, do you know any shops that sell the kensington keyboards. PCWorld dont seem to, well I didnt see any when I was in.

Posted 11 Jun 2010, 06:54 #7 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Monk wrote:
Mick wrote:I am a fan of the Kensington range of trackballs and mice. They do a good range of wired and wireless. very comfortable and very well built, reflected in the price. I also like the keyboards but I would suggest to try some out as they are all a bit different from each other in feel and noise levels.

I quite like the look of the Pro-fit mouse. Cheers Mick, do you know any shops that sell the kensington keyboards. PCWorld dont seem to, well I didnt see any when I was in.

To be honest I don't like their keyboards, but as I said it's very personal. Some of the quality Mac keyboards I have here are just too clacky or just don't have a good feel. All the Kensington Mice and Trackballs feel very comfortable in the hand and work well.

Retailers and distributors
http://eu.kensington.com/kensington/en/ ... tobuy.aspx

Posted 11 Jun 2010, 10:44 #8 

Mad-Monkey
Well I know I said I want away from wireless... but I found this after Jürgen's suggestion of a rechargeable one. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... SA:GB:1123 Seems pretty good for the money, Bluetrack, charger pad and most importantly I can remove and replace the AA battery so doesnt matter how many times I over charge etc... I can dump it on the charger pad after each use and I should be cool. Only thing is I don't know how comfortable it is to use but I'll soon find out and at £17 it doesn't break the bank, even if its naff!

The keyboard is definately staying wired though, unless there's a mains powered wireless keyboard, which kind of defeats the object!

Posted 11 Jun 2010, 13:49 #9 

Jürgen
Monk wrote:How long does it last between charges, or do you just pop it in the charger each day? Could be a possibility.

It's just sitting on its charger over night, David.

Once I left the mouse switched on and on the mouse pad over night (going into sleep mode then). I could use it for nearly a second day, before the low power warning appeared. One can use a standard AA battery instead of the rechargeable one ( in a case of emergency ;)) or replace it easily.

Posted 11 Jun 2010, 15:09 #10 

Mad-Monkey
Jürgen wrote:
Monk wrote:How long does it last between charges, or do you just pop it in the charger each day? Could be a possibility.

It's just sitting on its charger over night, David.

Once I left the mouse switched on and on the mouse pad over night (going into sleep mode then). I could use it for nearly a second day, before the low power warning appeared. One can use a standard AA battery instead of the rechargeable one ( in a case of emergency ;)) or replace it easily.

Sounds ok to me that does. Glad I went with my ebay decision earlier. Just depends how comfortable it is now! Cheers

Posted 11 Jun 2010, 15:31 #11 

Jürgen
£17 ? Worth a try indeed.

Posted 11 Jun 2010, 15:37 #12 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Just as BTW and slightly OT

My Mac (extremely beautiful, comfortable and clever mouse) eats batteries. The Gorgeous keyboard is still on the original pair of AA's and allegedly still have 57% life left. I have loads of rechargeable AA's as my camera uses same.

Posted 11 Jun 2010, 15:45 #13 

Mad-Monkey
Mick wrote:Just as BTW and slightly OT

My Mac (extremely beautiful, comfortable and clever mouse) eats batteries. The Gorgeous keyboard is still on the original pair of AA's and allegedly still have 57% life left. I have loads of rechargeable AA's as my camera uses same.

My wireless keyboard use to eat batteries and instead of just stopping working, it became intermittent in its working. Flippin annoying when you're typing and its missing letters out as you go along! That's what put me off anything wireless. However having a pad to dump the mouse on to charge seems convenient, and I can change the battery when it stops holding its charge. Don't have to faff with charging batteries seperately and then swapping them out.

Posted 11 Jun 2010, 15:52 #14 

Jürgen

Not surprising at all, Mick. Just look at your post count ... :mrgreen:

:gmc:

Posted 11 Jun 2010, 15:54 #15 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Jürgen wrote:

Not surprising at all, Mick. Just look at your post count ... :mrgreen:

:gmc:

Just trying to keep up with JDC but failing abysmally. :D

More PM's and emails than you can shake a stick at though. :D :D

Posted 11 Jun 2010, 16:45 #16 

hbb
(Site Admin)
FWIW, my experience in IT support has been that:
* Kensington is very variable quality - they don't manufacture, they are a marketing company, just like Trust. Personally I advise my clients to steer clear of both those brands. That doesn't address the usability issue of course but if the kit won't last...
* Apple and Microsoft make the best quality keyboards and mice (IBM use to make the best keyboards but that must have been at least 10 years ago) and, in many cases, the most usable. To some extent, that is down to personal taste but many people seem to choose kit which is not only not ergonomically sound but can be positively damaging to their health!
* No modern PC should leave the USB ports powered up when it's off & I've come across very few that do. I know some do though :{ In any case, the current drawn by a USB keyboard when not in use is a few milliwatts.
* The battery (AA cells) in my MS mouse last about 2 months. It's in use 7 days a week, often 10 or 12 hours & sometimes for gaming. My daughter's MS wireless ergonomic keyboard hasn't yet gone though it's first set of batteries after a month or so. I have come across others which will use a set a week though.
* Logitech kit is excellent for usability & will last well in a domestic environment - but don't push it too hard as it won't last as long as MS or Apple kit.
This space accidentally left blank/

Posted 13 Jun 2010, 22:28 #17 

Mad-Monkey
hbb wrote:FWIW, my experience in IT support has been that:
* Kensington is very variable quality - they don't manufacture, they are a marketing company, just like Trust. Personally I advise my clients to steer clear of both those brands. That doesn't address the usability issue of course but if the kit won't last...
* Apple and Microsoft make the best quality keyboards and mice (IBM use to make the best keyboards but that must have been at least 10 years ago) and, in many cases, the most usable. To some extent, that is down to personal taste but many people seem to choose kit which is not only not ergonomically sound but can be positively damaging to their health!
* No modern PC should leave the USB ports powered up when it's off & I've come across very few that do. I know some do though :{ In any case, the current drawn by a USB keyboard when not in use is a few milliwatts.
* The battery (AA cells) in my MS mouse last about 2 months. It's in use 7 days a week, often 10 or 12 hours & sometimes for gaming. My daughter's MS wireless ergonomic keyboard hasn't yet gone though it's first set of batteries after a month or so. I have come across others which will use a set a week though.
* Logitech kit is excellent for usability & will last well in a domestic environment - but don't push it too hard as it won't last as long as MS or Apple kit.

Cheers for the info. I have opted for a MS Mouse, and the keyboard I'm getting is MS one, probably this one. Seemed to type nice when I was in PCWorld.

I won't need any fancy hot keys etc... and the price is ideal :mrgreen:

Posted 14 Jun 2010, 07:37 #18 

ceedy
My preference is a wired keyboard and wireless mouse

Got a dell KB for 50p at a booty :em:

and on my 2nd one of these ... the last one is still going omy spare pc ...

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/132124 at a Fiver really cheap and really good !!!

Chris
Got one for Me , Then one for her, and now a big one for me again, All BLOO! Well saves on the touch up paint, Now Number one son's Spoilt it all by getting a Firefrost 1.8T

Posted 14 Jun 2010, 14:38 #19 

Mad-Monkey
Mouse has arrived, it's OEM which doens't bother me for the price. Seems quite comfy to use, the tilt buttons on the scroll wheel is annoying, but I find that on any mouse.

The only thing I'd say is, it comes with a two pin US plug, but there is an adaptor supplied.

Overall I'm quite happy with it! I'll see how I get on with it.

Posted 14 Jun 2010, 14:46 #20