Key only turns over car when facing upwards? by RoberB

• Related topics: (no related topics)

RoberB
Hi
my key only starts my car when facing upwards. Facing downwards, it does not turn the car over. The key goes to the start position fine but all that happens is that some symbols on the dash go out. There is no flashing of headlights.
????

Posted 14 Jun 2011, 13:27 #1 

PaulT
A wire has lost some insulation and it is swinging, when facing downwards, and earthing out?
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 14 Jun 2011, 13:37 #2 

SpongeBob
Fuel filter might be another place to check but if it's not turning over at all then that does look like a dodgy wire somewhere?

Posted 14 Jun 2011, 18:27 #3 

Jürgen
Maybe it's a loose solder joint inside the key cutting of the immobiliser part.

Posted 14 Jun 2011, 20:00 #4 

RoberB
It's when the key itself is pointing a certain way when inserted - there is no response. Turn key over, reinsert and the car turns over.
Only thing I can think of is that the key itself is worn out or had its transponder shifted somehow. A mystery

Posted 15 Jun 2011, 18:19 #5 

Duncan
The transponder chip has no wires or solder. However, the theory about the chip moving about is perfectly sensible. Can you hear it when you shake the key?

If it was the key physically worn, you wouldn't be able to turn the key at all in the lock.

Posted 15 Jun 2011, 18:36 #6 

takestock
I would still go for the starter solenoid, I think the key facing thing is a red herring :)
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 17 Jun 2011, 21:21 #7 

Last edited by takestock on 18 Jun 2011, 07:26, edited 1 time in total.

PaulT
Now the starter solenoid there is a kit available to overhaul it as it can cause problems - that reminds me where is my kit just in case
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 18 Jun 2011, 07:02 #8 

Duncan
I did wonder about the solenoid, but the OP is pretyy insistent that the problem corresponds to a certain direction of the key.

Another, rarer problem is the relay inside the immobiliser (EWS (Engine immobiliser (EWS from the German, Elektronik WegfahrSicherung))) unit itself. Again, this would not be affected by the key direction, though.

Posted 18 Jun 2011, 08:12 #9 

takestock
if it were a chip problrm would it not flag up on the message centre "engine immobilised" ;)
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 18 Jun 2011, 08:28 #10 

Duncan
takestock wrote:if it were a chip problrm would it not flag up on the message centre "engine immobilised" ;)

If there is a message centre, yes. ;)

I've asked about the non message centre versions, and never had anyone say they have seen it, yet I've heard a few claims of immobiliser problems with no warnings on the low line. Not sure which I believe TBH as the immo gets blamed for a lot when it's actually OK.

Posted 18 Jun 2011, 12:43 #11 

takestock
Somebody without message centre needs to remove their chip and turn the key, see what happens. :)
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 18 Jun 2011, 13:36 #12 

RoberB
just to add some more detail, i have cleaned the terminals of the battery of all grease.
The key seems to be working a lot better now, with far fewer problems. Also noticed that the battery seemed to be a bit underpowered from what i say on the label. suspect this problem is centered around these two issues.

Posted 25 Jul 2011, 20:59 #13 

takestock
takestock wrote:I would still go for the starter solenoid, I think the key facing thing is a red herring :)

I stand by this :)
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 25 Jul 2011, 21:07 #14 

James.uk
Solenoid kit is about £12 off ebay... ;) :)

Posted 26 Jul 2011, 16:43 #15 

Ragman
Oddly enough we had this with a Merc Sprinter, wouldn't start - Merc commercial service said 'this sounds stupid, but take the key out, turn it over and then try it' we did and it started. They could offer no explanation as to why

Posted 26 Jul 2011, 17:19 #16