Key-Fob Buttons by Dallas

• Related topics: (no related topics)

Dallas
Hi! Guys :)

Had this problem for a while now, the two buttons on both key-fobs are and have split/broken and buttons fallen out (become missing). First it was the spare key-fob that was already falling apart when I first got the 75, but now the second key-fob is going the same way. The buttons start to split and then break apart and basically fall out from the black casing.....

Does anybody else have the same problem and is there an easy cheap fix....... :thumbsup: Thank guys.....f

Posted 15 Jun 2010, 21:45 #1 

JohnDotCom
I am not sure how easy the fob is to "take apart"
but often you see the keys on EBay, useless as a key but may be cheap enough for a repair job?
John

"My lovely car now sold onto a very happy new owner.
I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 15 Jun 2010, 21:54 #2 

Dallas
This is what I thought, but its not easy as I thought it would be.....

I have taken the fob/fobs apart to basically see if I can just re-place the button side of the casing and leave the metal key embedded in its position...... but NO! its not that easy. The metal key itself is part of the casing side thats with the buttons, the half that comes off is just the BLANK side of the casing which can obviously be re-placed without to much fuss.

So to replace the button side of the casing will also effect the metal key, I see that the key looks like it does come out from the casing half somehow......

Has anybody done it at all......

Posted 15 Jun 2010, 22:03 #3 

Duncan
The metal key blade can be removed from the button half of the housing. There's a small piece of plastic pinned to the top of the blade, then this is pushed into the housing.

There seems to be a mixed bag of whether these are glued in. On the keys I tried they were and glued very well. I know of others whose blades almost fell out. Maybe some owners glue their blades in?

Anyway, a good wiggle and pull should remove the blade with the plastic block, but not guaranteed to be that easy.

Posted 16 Jun 2010, 06:55 #4 

Dallas
Thanks for that Duncan, I may attempt to try and take the blade out........ some day....... :lol:

................. I'm going to be using the keys the old fashion way some time soon (in the locks themselves) as the key fob buttons are nearly deteriorated so much they wont be there to press...... :o :lol:

Posted 16 Jun 2010, 21:03 #5 

SpongeBob
Don't forget that when changing key fob bodies around that the immobiliser chip is imbedding in the plastic somewhere. It doesn't look like a chip - more of a small chunk of dull metal - it's not even a uniform shape. I don't have any pictures to hand to show you unfortunately but if you loose this chip or forget to swap it over then you won't be able to start your car ;)

Posted 16 Jun 2010, 23:44 #6 

PaulT
A neighbour is a vehicle locksmith and he tells me that he buys up fobs from breakers to use to repair customers fobs where the buttons have failed.

As a PS did the facelifted 75/ZTs use the Pektronic fob - which is round.
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 17 Jun 2010, 06:13 #7 

JohnDotCom
Both the Mk1 and Mk2 keyfobs look the same except buttons had different markings I believe.
John

"My lovely car now sold onto a very happy new owner.
I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 17 Jun 2010, 09:00 #8 

Keleko
Commission number: 30126

Posted 17 Jun 2010, 12:33 #9 

Dallas
Thanks for showing the ebay listing :D hope it stays cheap.........

Posted 17 Jun 2010, 18:06 #10