Isn't it odd how... by raistlin

• Related topics: (no related topics)

raistlin
... money moves in one direction instantaneously but going the other way takes the slow boat to China?

The Times have helped themselves to a direct debit payment of £185 today which bears no similarity to the amount I pay or the usual date for my newspaper subscription.

When I contacted them I got the stock apology and an assurance that the money would be refunded... in 28 days.

In fact it could, and should be refunded as rapidly as it was taken. Needless to say, I've taken it further and depending upon the result will be changing my allegiance.
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 08 Oct 2014, 16:39 #1 

Duncan
You probably have, but remind them of the direct debit guarantee. Then ask them what rate of interest they are paying suggesting Wonga as an example since you will 'obviously' have to take a loan out with them now to make ends meet.

Posted 08 Oct 2014, 16:58 #2 

Jumper
Couldn't agree more. My energy annual deal is now up for renewal. Following a year of direct debits at what I thought was an exorbitant level but was unable to persuade my supplier that the monthly cost was excessive. My account, after giving them up to date readings, showed a credit balance of £575! They suggested keeping it to reduce my DD payments and as a result of my very brief rejection of their professional advice it was agreed to refund the full amount and a suitable reduction in the DD payment.

"When will you refund to my bank account?"
"I will action it today to avoid unnecessary delays and it normally takes 10 to 14 days to reach the account."
"Unnecessary delays? But that's two weeks!"
"No sir, it's longer. It's 10 to 14 working days".
"But, but.."
"That's the system Sir, nothing I can do about it".

Posted 08 Oct 2014, 18:15 #3 

raistlin
Just checked my bank account. Refund completed :lol:
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 08 Oct 2014, 18:21 #4 

PaulT
When I was in France a couple of months ago I ordered some tyres - Internet dealer showed about 30 different types in my size. The garage that was going to fit them rang to say they were not available and offered me some higher priced ones. I said no, contacted the supplier and told them to cancel the order. I was refunded in 2 days. When I mentioned this to people their reaction was 'what is so special about that'. I did some research and of the 30 different types showing as being available within 48 hours onlt 5 were!

The UK Consumer Contracts Regulations (replaces Distance Selling Regulations):

You should get a refund within 14 days of either the trader getting the goods back, or you providing evidence of having returned the goods (for example, a proof of postage receipt from the post office), whichever is the sooner.

So our politicians assist companies in slow refunds.
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 08 Oct 2014, 22:05 #5