Ironmongery by Dave

• Related topics: (no related topics)

Dave
I'm looking for something that I am having trouble finding online, as I don't really know what it's called!

Basically we have Velux style windows in our living room, and with this heat it's getting annoying not having any easy way to open them. Currently I am using a broom to carefully lever the handle open and then pushing up with the bristly end. To close, it's a question of bristly end to the other end of the window and then slowly "hammering" the handle closed with same end.

You can buy poles to do this, but they cost £20-25 plus, and also they are designed for actual Velux windows, so don't operate quite the same. What I need is something to go on the end of the broom handle (already have this) which is made of metal (so it won't deform on twisting) which is say around 4-5" long, will slip over the end of the handle so it can be screwed in place, and has a solid "ring" end about 2" diameter. With this I can slip it over the handle and twist it open, and then push up on the handle rather than the frame. To close would be the opposite. Alternatively, a stout hook to fit over the broom handle would probably work too

I've looked online and can't find anything to suit. The Velux device, apart from being expensive, has a plastic end which doesn't look too hardy and B&Q, Homebase etc have no hooky/loopy things which seem anywhere near what I need

Does anyone have any ideas?! :mrgreen:

Posted 23 Jul 2014, 11:55 #1 

Mick
(Site Admin)
I'd probably be looking at making a tool for the job from scratch but you could work with the following or similar.
A ferrule preferably with grub screw hole already in place, otherwise drill. You'll have to search for this kind of thing JFYI http://sealfast.thomasnet.com/item/crim ... s/f050-1ss
An "eye nut" of appropriate dimension, welded to the ferrule. http://www.s3i.co.uk/EyeNut.php

Posted 23 Jul 2014, 13:09 #2 

Dave
Thanks Mick

Was searching for a term to describe the "going over the end of the broom handle" bit, and ferrule is spot on. That should help searching! (never tried welding, so although your idea is sound, I haven't got the wherewithal!)

Posted 23 Jul 2014, 13:47 #3 

Dave Goody
:-D Iwould suggest a rack on the living room wall to hang a 2 section aluminium ladder

Posted 25 Jul 2014, 20:49 #4 

Dave
I'd be happy with that, but Gill on the other hand........

Posted 25 Jul 2014, 21:40 #5