In Tank Pump Seal Replacement - SORTED by MrB (Page 2 of 2)

MrB
Have managed to source the correct seal, ESR3806A, from MGOC spares for £4 plus pence delivered. http://www.mgocspares.co.uk/acatalog/MGOC_Spares_FUEL_TANK___PUMP__MGF_TF__457.html

Now how do I fit it?

I have looked at the Know How on how to replace the standard in tank fuel pump with the Peugeot one as my starting point. Trouble is it looks like I'll have to take the whole lot out to get the seal on the motor?? Looking at the pictures it would be much easier for me if I could just remove the grey section from the top, then I could just put the seal in and put the grey bit back on?
See pic below.
pump.JPG

Has anyone replaced one of these seals and could they give me a bit of a heads up to help?

Thanks in advance

Chris

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Chris
Member No. 143
Mods so far: LED sidelights, interior lights and number plate lamps, Rover Xenon Headlights, Kenlowe Fan, Synergy 2 and EGR Bypass

Posted 09 Aug 2010, 13:08 #21 

Last edited by MrB on 12 Aug 2010, 14:50, edited 2 times in total.

DeuxGazoles
Never done one Chris but can you not just lift the main bit up & stretch the seal over the top to save pulling all the other gubbins out??? :confused:
If it looks unlikely then don't damage your new one trying ;)
Geordie Jeans! they're nice & tight especially roond the arse

Posted 09 Aug 2010, 14:06 #22 

MrB
DeuxGazoles wrote:Never done one Chris but can you not just lift the main bit up & stretch the seal over the top to save pulling all the other gubbins out??? :confused:
If it looks unlikely then don't damage your new one trying ;)

Had considered that as well Col.

I don't relish the idea of having to take the whole lot out to do it, that is for sure.

When I have the new one in my hand I'll have a better idea how much stretch there is in it.

Chris
Chris
Member No. 143
Mods so far: LED sidelights, interior lights and number plate lamps, Rover Xenon Headlights, Kenlowe Fan, Synergy 2 and EGR Bypass

Posted 09 Aug 2010, 15:34 #23 

MrB
Have received the part today.

There is a little stretch but I don't want to stretch it permanently by forcing it over the in tank pump housing.

Trouble is with the tank being so full I don't want to be messing around trying to work it all out.

How easy would it be to pump some fuel out into a gerry can?? Maybe via the UBP?

Chris
Chris
Member No. 143

Posted 10 Aug 2010, 15:05 #24 

DeuxGazoles
Ah but if you cut a slit in it you should get it round the top no problem :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :gmc:

I suppose using the electric pumps should work towards getting the level down you just need a piece of hose that fits the end of the pipe where it feeds the filter ;)

Posted 10 Aug 2010, 20:26 #25 

MrB
DeuxGazoles wrote:Ah but if you cut a slit in it you should get it round the top no problem :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :gmc:

:whump:

Am gonna have a go at getting some fuel out tomorrow. I can always keep emptying my can into the Civic - I only have a 1 gallon can.

Need to get the keys off the mechanic who was supposed to sort it while we were away 1st.

He's not replying to my texts. If he wanted the money for doing it he should've done it while I was away, like I asked.

Chris
Chris
Member No. 143

Posted 10 Aug 2010, 23:33 #26 

MrB
Well thought I would have a look at the tank this afternoon.

So Back Seat base out - am getting quite good at that now and at putting it back in.

Plastic cover off - wiring and 2 pipes removed - diesel leaks mopped up.

Then to get that metal ring off - took a little effort but finally got it to move and then off.

So I lifted the pump - just an inch - and had a look around.

Lo and behold - no seal in sight - wasn't that big a surprise to be honest - given everything else I've found with this 75.

So I figured lets see if the new seal will go over the rim of the top of the pump housing - and it did - result.

Seated it carefully around the platic rim of the tank - pushed the pump housing down - felt like a good seal.

Fitted the metal ring back and tightened it up.

I have bounced the car up down quite viciously - few funny looks from the neighbours as I was stood in the boot bouncing up and down - no signs of a leak. :thumbsup:

So, hopefully, problem solved.

Chris
Chris
Member No. 143

Posted 12 Aug 2010, 15:00 #27 

DeuxGazoles
Well done young man :mrgreen:

Posted 13 Aug 2010, 20:16 #28 

MrB
Cheers Col

Feels good to have sorted something else out. :D

Now to fit new discs n pads on the rear and have another go at bleeding that clutch - it's better after the last but the biting point is still very low on the pedal.

Chris
Chris
Member No. 143

Posted 13 Aug 2010, 21:43 #29 

DeuxGazoles
MrB wrote:Cheers Col

Feels good to have sorted something else out. :D

Now to fit new discs n pads on the rear and have another go at bleeding that clutch - it's better after the last but the biting point is still very low on the pedal.

Chris

Oooooh clutch :scared: rather you than me, however discs & pads are an absolute breeze ;)

Posted 13 Aug 2010, 21:57 #30 

geesmith
I bet "bleeding that clutch" turns into "that bleeding clutch".....or worse" clutch that bleeding!" :shock:

Posted 15 Aug 2010, 18:58 #31 

MrB
geesmith wrote:I bet "bleeding that clutch" turns into "that bleeding clutch".....or worse" clutch that bleeding!" :shock:

Not first time have had a go at it - so long as get the cap on nice n tight it's not so bad.

Pedal feels good and firm all the way through travel but biting point is very low on the pedal.

It supposedly had a new clutch just before I got it. Master Cylinder is definitely new - everything else of course is hidden. No slipping from the clutch, it's just hard to drive with the clutch so low and sometimes have to force it into gear.

Chris
Chris
Member No. 143

Posted 15 Aug 2010, 22:12 #32