HPFP Nut by Bermudan 75

• Related topics: (no related topics)

Bermudan 75
Does anyone know how you remove the spindle nut on the HPFP? When I try to undo it all that happens is that the other parts turn in the same direction?

Posted 18 Oct 2017, 16:41 #1 

Arctic
(Trader)
Bermudan 75 wrote:Does anyone know how you remove the spindle nut on the HPFP? When I try to undo it all that happens is that the other parts turn in the same direction?

Hi Mike
Are you using the special tool required to remove the HPFP ?
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 22 Oct 2017, 09:24 #2 

Bermudan 75
HI Steve, Yes I am it is screwed into the pump , when I turn the socket on the nut the wheels that are connected to the belts turn in the same direction. I need to somehow stop the other wheels tuning. Do you have any ideas preferrably with a photo.

Cheers

Mike

Posted 22 Oct 2017, 12:07 #3 

Bermudan 75
Have now removed the spindle nut, the three mounting nuts and the electrical connector. With regards to the special tool how far do you screw the puller in? I am finding that it as it is screwed fully in the puller body comes out a little from the the first special tool.

The pump moves a little but does not want to be removed.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

Mike

Posted 22 Oct 2017, 16:14 #4 

Duncan
Bermudan 75 wrote:

Thanks

Mike

BFI?

Posted 22 Oct 2017, 16:39 #5 

Bermudan 75
BFI???

Posted 22 Oct 2017, 18:02 #6 

Bernard
I'm guessing "Brute Force and Ignorance"

Posted 22 Oct 2017, 18:37 #7 

Bermudan 75
There is a video of someone changing the HPFP on a Freelander, he did not use a special tool, but locked the car in gear, brakes one and I think he used brute force....

I will try again later in the week.

One day I will get the car back to it's former glory at a Nano-meet before moving to France.

Posted 22 Oct 2017, 18:48 #8 

Duncan
Bernard wrote:I'm guessing "Brute Force and Ignorance"

Absolutely. The answer to almost everything.

Posted 22 Oct 2017, 19:28 #9 

PaulT
Duncan wrote:
Bernard wrote:I'm guessing "Brute Force and Ignorance"

Absolutely. The answer to almost everything.

So glad you are not a brain surgeon Duncan :)
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 23 Oct 2017, 07:02 #10 

Arctic
(Trader)
Bermudan 75 wrote:Have now removed the spindle nut, the three mounting nuts and the electrical connector. With regards to the special tool how far do you screw the puller in? I am finding that it as it is screwed fully in the puller body comes out a little from the the first special tool.

The pump moves a little but does not want to be removed.

Thanks

Mike

Hi Mike.
Sorry for only getting back to you now, was a little busy over the weekend, as you/we know the tool come in three parts outer, inner, and the main bolt pusher/puller. the inner should be tight and not move, hopefully you have removed the manifold, and the starter motor, thus helping you lock the fly wheel to stop the engine from turning, as above I can see you removed the main spindle nut.

Make sure you have removed the fuel lines going to the pump, which attached to the stainless steel fuel pipes these to can be loosened from the engine to help the pump removal.

I thought I had a few photo's but I can not find them, anyways with the starter removed and the fuel pump bolts 3 of removed, the puller fully wound in you should be able to grip the pump and mover it up & down which in turn it come away from the engine, let us know how you are doing and I will try and find these photo's Arctic.
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 23 Oct 2017, 11:48 #11 

Last edited by Arctic on 12 Sep 2021, 08:49, edited 1 time in total.

Bermudan 75
HI Steve, everything has been removed as per the posts aboce I think it just needs a little bit of BF.

Cheers

Mike

Posted 23 Oct 2017, 14:50 #12 

Colvert
Bermudan 75 wrote:There is a video of someone changing the HPFP on a Freelander, he did not use a special tool, but locked the car in gear, brakes one and I think he used brute force....

I will try again later in the week.

One day I will get the car back to it's former glory at a Nano-meet before moving to
France.

Not your main question but---------------------------Where are you thinking of going to in France ?? ( I assume you mean to Live there. )

Posted 29 Oct 2017, 19:40 #13 

Bermudan 75
Provence, once we have sold up in Cheshire.

Posted 30 Oct 2017, 18:23 #14 

Bermudan 75
When fitting the new pump gasket do you need to add any form of gasket sealant?

Posted 18 Mar 2018, 11:08 #15 

Arctic
(Trader)
Bermudan 75 wrote:When fitting the new pump gasket do you need to add any form of gasket sealant?[/quote
]

HI Mike.
I have never seen one with gasket sealant and I have removed at least 5 now, if you look when you removed your that there is no old residue of gasket sealant to clean up after, either on the pump it's self or on the engine side.
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 18 Mar 2018, 11:53 #16 

Bermudan 75
Thanks Steve.

Posted 18 Mar 2018, 12:37 #17