How to do it. by raistlin

• Related topics: (no related topics)

raistlin
OK chaps, I need to cut a 100mm circular hole in a piece of sheet steel. What's the easiest way please?

I don't really want to be drilling holes around the periphery and then be filing edges (

Largest hole cutter I can find on fleabay is 100mm but doesn't state that it cuts steel.

Any ideas please?
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 14 Dec 2014, 11:03 #1 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Do search for tank cutter.

Posted 14 Dec 2014, 11:12 #2 

Dave
Couldn't you take your sheet to a local engineering works and get them to do it for you, if it's only a one off? Maybe they could stamp it out?

Just a thought!

Posted 14 Dec 2014, 11:32 #3 

Mad-Monkey
How thick is the steel?

Posted 14 Dec 2014, 11:34 #4 

raistlin
@ Dave:- It's part of a steel cabinet Dave :(

@ David:- 1.5mm
Paul

Posted 14 Dec 2014, 11:53 #5 

Mad-Monkey
I might be able to cut it. Give me a moment to look up something.

Posted 14 Dec 2014, 12:07 #6 

Mad-Monkey
Hmmm not sure now.

I have one of these http://www.lawson-his.co.uk/draper-5947 ... tAodMTgAgQ

Any ideas?

Posted 14 Dec 2014, 12:09 #7 

Mick
(Site Admin)
I was referring to this type of tank cutter https://www.toolbritannia.co.uk/hand-to ... tAodRGUAqQ which will do the job easily. The only problem is, as you are cutting a cabinet, backing the work up to accommodate the centre drill and restrict movement of the work.

Dave yours will probably do the job but the same caveats apply re backing the work. Also it may not be good for anything ever again.

Posted 14 Dec 2014, 12:40 #8 

raistlin
That's a good bit of kit Mick :)

A solution to the problem has arisen :) With hindsight, and a quick look inside the cabinet (it's my railway layout console), the maximum size fan it can accommodate is 80mm, for which I have a perfectly serviceable hole saw from the days when I used to custom-build PCs :)

Thanks for all the help though chaps :)
Paul

Posted 14 Dec 2014, 14:37 #9 

Mad-Monkey
The good thing about the piece of kit I have is there's not much need for anything to back the work as the front dust collection dish supports the cutter and keeps it at 90 degrees whilst cutting. Its good for cutting recessed spot holes, no plaster in your eyes!

Posted 14 Dec 2014, 15:29 #10 

Duncan
I like the mechanical hole punches, also called qmax punches. But they get a bit expensive up at that size.

Posted 14 Dec 2014, 15:35 #11 

Mad-Monkey
Duncan wrote:I like the mechanical hole punches, also called qmax punches. But they get a bit expensive up at that size.

Just googled them, they are ace!

Posted 14 Dec 2014, 15:44 #12 

raistlin
Duncan wrote:I like the mechanical hole punches, also called qmax punches. But they get a bit expensive up at that size.

Yes. They are good. I have a set,, but not to that size.
Paul

Posted 14 Dec 2014, 15:53 #13