How does the FBH Work? by carlpenn

• Related topics: (no related topics)

carlpenn
I know the Webasto heater can be started by remote, but I do not have one so how do I get it to work without the remote?

Can this be done by having teh ignition on and Engine not running or does the Engine have to be running? What are the prerequisites for the Heater to work? I noted that on a Land Rover Discovery there has to be enough fuel for the Warning light not to be on (apparently).

Cheers :)
Upgrades:

Fitted Electric Memory Seat, Leather Cubby Lid, Wood Dash, Message Centre.

Posted 14 Dec 2011, 08:22 #1 

Duncan
The engine has to be running, and the outside temp has to be below (I think) 5 degrees.

The fuel has to be above a certain level, but that's controlled by the length of the pipe in the tank rather than the light being on, though I suspect the level is similar. If the fuel is too low, the pipe is no longer in the fuel and the heater will not light / go out.

Posted 14 Dec 2011, 13:13 #2 

carlpenn
Thank you kindly Duncan :)
Upgrades:

Posted 14 Dec 2011, 21:44 #3 

Duncan
Actually, I have answered one part of the question, but not answered how to make it work.

It's possible to make it run without engine and regardless of temperature, by adding a wire to the plug and running it to a switch. It depends which version of the heater you have (there are old and new) whether you connect the other side of the switch to ground or 12v.

Posted 14 Dec 2011, 22:12 #4 

carlpenn
I see. So if that was done, when switched on, would it use much Power? I wouldn't want to flatten my Battery :p The heaters do warm up fairly quick, but I don't like the idea of leaving the Car ticking over for 10 - 15 Minutes on the drive without me being there. The Car is always so cold though when I get in and it's not much fun for the Kids when its frosty :(

Has anyone done this or is there a Tutorial anywhere?

Cheers.
Upgrades:

Posted 15 Dec 2011, 08:09 #5 

Unclefista
The Webasto thermo-top as fitted to our cars consumes 45w of power and provides 5000w of heat, it's not something you want running for hours on your battery.
What I've done is wired up a cheap (£7) Rf switch I bought from Ebay so I can switch my fbh on and off from the comfort of my kitchen :)
I have to remember to turn it off after 10-15 minutes so I don't flatten my battery.
Maplin do a more expensive one (£30) with a timer so you can set it to run for 15 minutes without worrying about a flat battery.
Depending on which of the 2 types you have fitted, you either provide 12v or earth to a pin on the top of the fbh, dead simple :)

Posted 15 Dec 2011, 10:52 #6 

Dave
Duncan wrote:The engine has to be running, and the outside temp has to be below (I think) 5 degrees..

Don't shoot me if I am wrong, but does the engine actually have to be running? I thought it was ignition only, although this might only be the case if you have one of the switched (or Pin 3 test) setups mentioned above!

Posted 15 Dec 2011, 13:52 #7 

Dave
Unclefista wrote:Maplin do a more expensive one (£30) with a timer so you can set it to run for 15 minutes without worrying about a flat battery.

Don't suppose you have a link to this? :D

Posted 15 Dec 2011, 13:53 #8 

Unclefista
Mine seems to work only when the engine is running unless pin 3 has 12v. But I've not really experimented much.
The remote switch is from Maplin, search the site for "A92JL" if the link doesn't work (I'm on my phone) ;)

http://www.maplin.co.uk/2-channel-rf-re ... ule-265472

Posted 15 Dec 2011, 15:50 #9 

Dave
Link worked ta!

I'm thinking that I'd be quite happy with just a switch - I'm not worried about nipping out to get the heater going! I'd quite like one that had a timer on it, so that there was no chance of forgetting to switch it off :mrgreen:

Posted 15 Dec 2011, 16:41 #10 

Duncan
Yes, the normal route is only when engine running. Only when you add the extra wire to another pin does it run with engine off.

Posted 15 Dec 2011, 18:58 #11 

Jürgen
carlpenn wrote:I see. So if that was done, when switched on, would it use much Power? I wouldn't want to flatten my Battery :p

If used with the timer or remote from Webasto, the heater will cut off after 30 or 60 minutes. These are the times which can be set up. Of course you can switch it off manually at any time. The manufacturer recommends to drive at least for as long as the heater has worked before, in order to recharge the battery.

In most cases 15 minutes will be sufficient when it's not too cold.

Posted 17 Dec 2011, 13:52 #12 

carlpenn
Thanks for your responses :)

Will look into fitting the Switch.
Upgrades:

Posted 17 Dec 2011, 15:34 #13 

raistlin
carlpenn wrote:Thanks for your responses :)

I have the correct terminals and the correct crimping tool Carl, if you wanted to fit the switch over here or perhaps borrow the crimping tool and a handful of terminals :)
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 17 Dec 2011, 15:36 #14 

JohnDotCom
Why you not partying? :-D :cheers: :gmc:
John

"My lovely car now sold onto a very happy new owner.
I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 17 Dec 2011, 15:44 #15 

raistlin
JohnDotCom wrote:Why you not partying? :-D :cheers: :gmc:

I didn't say today, now did I John? :lol:
Paul

Posted 17 Dec 2011, 16:15 #16 

Dave
raistlin wrote:
JohnDotCom wrote:Why you not partying? :-D :cheers: :gmc:

I didn't say today, now did I John? :lol:

Maybe JDC is questioning as to why you are posting today instead of partying?! :D

Posted 17 Dec 2011, 16:19 #17 

raistlin
A good question Dave :lol:
Paul

Posted 17 Dec 2011, 16:27 #18 

carlpenn
raistlin wrote:
carlpenn wrote:Thanks for your responses :)

I have the correct terminals and the correct crimping tool Carl, if you wanted to fit the switch over here or perhaps borrow the crimping tool and a handful of terminals :)

Thank you kindly Paul, I will pop you a pm :)
Upgrades:

Posted 20 Dec 2011, 10:21 #19