How can this price be justified? by Bernard

Bernard
Rather fancied one of the bladeless fans from Dyson, now being pushed on adverts.

Looked it up on Amazon etc.

Ye gods! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

How on earth would anyone expect me to pay over £300 for one of these?
I don't like signatures, they take up too much screen space.

Posted 13 Nov 2013, 18:34 #1 

Mick
(Site Admin)
You could buy one from John Lewis instead for £370.00

Seriously, I looked at these when they first came out. I'd rather just put on an extra jumper. ;)

Posted 13 Nov 2013, 18:45 #2 

ceedy
Reckon there are some blades in there somewhere ;)
Got one for Me , Then one for her, and now a big one for me again, All BLOO! Well saves on the touch up paint, Now Number one son's Spoilt it all by getting a Firefrost 1.8T

Posted 13 Nov 2013, 19:04 #3 

raistlin
Very effective from what I've seen but I agree that they are a ridiculous price.
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 13 Nov 2013, 19:30 #4 

Duncan
Well, you could justify the extra price with some kind of performance or efficiency benefit....

Or of course you could rely on your 'brand'. In my opinion they have been doing the latter for a while, since I've rarely come across the owner of a Dyson cleaner who thinks it's reliable or value for money.

Once had an interesting discussion where a Dysonista proposed that they were 'Green' because you could get replacement parts for their cleaners. They struggled to counter my argument that my preferred brand might or might not have easy to source spares, since they seem not to fail so often as Dyson. I stand by that as the cleaner still performs as if new, many years after purchase. By the way it's NOT a Hoover which lasted about a week before it's crap design caused it's first failure. We didn't bother returning for warranty repair / replacement because it was clear the design was so rubbish any replacement wouldn't last more than a few days!

Posted 15 Nov 2013, 21:34 #5 

Bernard
Must say that we have had no problem at all with our Dyson vacuum in around the 14-15 years that we have had it. I still will not be buying a fan though.
I don't like signatures, they take up too much screen space.

Posted 15 Nov 2013, 21:49 #6 

Duncan
Bernard wrote:Must say that we have had no problem at all with our Dyson vacuum in around the 14-15 years that we have had it. I still will not be buying a fan though.

Good to hear of a reliable one. I have to say it's not what any other owner has told me.

Posted 15 Nov 2013, 22:06 #7 

Zeb
Got two Dyson vacuums - one bought in 2003 and one bought 2011. The new one developed a little problem with the switch. Dyson sent an engineer who replaced it. He then offered to refurb the old Dyson for £49 - usually £79 but as he was already here there was no call out charge. It was still working ok but had got noisy and battered over the years, till now it was only being used to clean out the guinea pigs. The engineer then replaced the motor, the brushes, the belt, the wand and the tube and all the filters....it is now like new and isn't used on the guinea pig cage any longer! Modular designs make them quick and easy for the engineer to strip and rebuild. £49 for essentially a new machine was an absolute bargain...and it now has a 12 month guarantee on it too! Can't fault the machines or the service personally.Oh and for the first time ever I wrote to the company to thank them for such a brilliant service - never felt the need to do that for any other company I have used. That said, the engineer stated that the newer ball-type models were much less easy to refurb. I wouldn't buy a fan at that price either!

Posted 16 Nov 2013, 07:40 #8 

DaveyC
I bought one of the very first DC01 Dysons back in 1995. Cost a fortune but being my first home and having plenty of cash (those were the bloody days!) It looked cool and worked extremely well. Being a bit OCD it was used every day until around 2006, when my personal situation changed. My new mother in law has had it for the past 2 years, as I gave it her when her Hoover gave up the ghost. I think the dog hair killed it.

However, the DC01 is STILL going strong. Only ever been cleaned and had new filters. Had a new wheel last year, as it had been dropped on a concrete floor. We have a DC19 now and its made of tissue paper and spit. Its bloody awful!

Posted 16 Nov 2013, 10:01 #9