Herbert the Hedgehog, 6 Months on..... by carlpenn

carlpenn
Thought I would let you see how Herbert is getting on 6 months after living with us.

He has been stressed for some reason and sadly losing some quills. But, after spending lots of time adventuring, he seems to have picked up a bit.

I will be buying a Vivarium after Christmas and with some modifying for ventilation, will be moving Herbert in there. Hopefully this will help him stay happier, as I don't think he is enjoying the Cage too well. Just not enough running space.

http://s99.beta.photobucket.com/user/pu ... 8.mp4.html
Upgrades:

Fitted Electric Memory Seat, Leather Cubby Lid, Wood Dash, Message Centre.

Posted 22 Dec 2012, 20:52 #1 

les4048
Is there a story behind this? Would he not be happier back out in the wild?

Posted 24 Dec 2012, 06:12 #2 

Dave Goody
les4048 wrote:Is there a story behind this? Would he not be happier back out in the wild?

This is not a native hedgehog, Its an Albino pygmy I think? Can't live outside in our climate.

Posted 24 Dec 2012, 09:59 #3 

carlpenn
les4048 wrote:Is there a story behind this? Would he not be happier back out in the wild?

Hebert was bought for me by my Wife, after I was introduced to his Mother "Cookie" by her owners, who run an Exotic Zoo. I have always loved Hedgehogs, one of my Favourite Animals. So, Tina bought me one.

He is an African Pygmy Hedgehog, a cross breed. They are sold as 'Exotic' pets, much like a Cat or Dog and are somewhat expensive, especially the more colourful ones. We also have a Bearded Dragon called Yogi and 3 Cats lol.

When I was younger, I collected Hedgehog ornaments and my Obsession with Hedghhogs was so well known amongst friends and family, they would all buy me Hedgehogs trinkets and stuff all the time. My Mother gave me a boxed Ornamental Hedgehog that was made in Britain in the 1950's (That was in 1996 so it was very old), It was hand made, Painted and Glazed and was beautiful. This alongside many, many Pounds worth and sentimental value items, was robbed out of my Car whilst I was moving into a flat :(

As mentioned by Dave Goody, Herbert is not a native Hedghog and would not survive outside. He is becoming a very friendly Hedgehog now and will happily climb onto my Hands to be lifted out of the Cage or put back, when he gets bored of exploring.
Upgrades:

Posted 24 Dec 2012, 11:25 #4 

carlpenn
Dave Goody wrote:

This is not a native hedgehog, Its an Albino pygmy I think? Can't live outside in our climate.

Yes, nice spot, he is an African Pygmy Hegdehog. A cross between a Four Toed Hedgehog and an Algerian Hedgehog.
Upgrades:

Posted 24 Dec 2012, 11:29 #5 

les4048
Thanks for sharing your story it was very interesting. I have a hedgehog in my garden which I've seen a couple of times. I would like to see more of it and maybe feed it but I'm not sure how to go about doing this plus I have a cat so not sure what would happen if they came across each other. Murphy the cat would probably lose lol. Any advice you can give me would be greatly appreciated

Posted 26 Dec 2012, 08:18 #6 

Dave Goody
les4048 wrote:Thanks for sharing your story it was very interesting. I have a hedgehog in my garden which I've seen a couple of times. I would like to see more of it and maybe feed it but I'm not sure how to go about doing this plus I have a cat so not sure what would happen if they came across each other. Murphy the cat would probably lose lol. Any advice you can give me would be greatly appreciated

Cat or dog food is the stuff. Pets at home etc sell proper hedgehog food but pricey and probably only relabelled cat or dog food.
Don't give bread and milk. Milk is very bad for them although they love it. It will give them the runs.
The cat will not get involved with the hedgehog so no worry there.
We feed foxes and badgers in our garden so sadly our garden is a no go area for hedgehogs
Hope this helps, if you can entice them to hang around they will keep down the slugs and snails. Dave

Posted 26 Dec 2012, 12:54 #7 

les4048
Thanks Dave, I'll keep an eye out for them again and give them some food

Posted 29 Dec 2012, 06:13 #8