Help requested please by raistlin

raistlin
OK guys, here we go again. I know exactly what I want but can't find it via Google search because I don't know what it was designed to do.

Confused? hang in there :lol:

What I'm looking for is a weatherproof cover, in the form of a rigid box, which can be placed over equipment (specifically a generator) to protect it from the weather.

The device I've seen was not designed for a generator but could easily be modified to provide adequate air inlet and exhaust outlet.

The best way I can describe it is as a flat pack, much like a puppy training cage, but with solid rigid walls, where it goes from flat-pack to assembled in seconds.

I know they exist... I've seen them in use but I'm darned if I can find them on the interweb.

Can anybody help please?
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 21 Oct 2013, 19:42 #1 

DaveyC

Posted 21 Oct 2013, 19:46 #2 

raistlin
Not what I saw Dave but would certainly do the business if we could find one big enough :)
Paul

Posted 21 Oct 2013, 19:50 #3 

persuer

Posted 21 Oct 2013, 19:55 #4 

raistlin
Already considered thanks Richard :)
Paul

Posted 21 Oct 2013, 20:03 #5 

Duncan
Remember, the genny needs to breath a bit, too. Not just so it doesn't choke on its own exhaust, but it needs some airflow for cooling too.

The box idea is good, because we can put flaps in that direct the rain away.

Posted 21 Oct 2013, 20:08 #6 

Dave Goody
Paul, I have mine in the garage. We have a lot of power cuts in my area so it gets used a lot. I run it in the garage with an extension to the exhaust which exits the garage door via a specially placed hole. It means I don't disturb the neighbours with noise while they are sitting in the dark around a candle while all the lights and TV in my house are blazing away making them really peeved.

Posted 22 Oct 2013, 17:12 #7 

Duncan
Dave Goody wrote:Paul, I have mine in the garage. We have a lot of power cuts in my area so it gets used a lot. I run it in the garage with an extension to the exhaust which exits the garage door via a specially placed hole. It means I don't disturb the neighbours with noise while they are sitting in the dark around a candle while all the lights and TV in my house are blazing away making them really peeved.

I have found that buying a decent size generator has for the most part cured our frequent power cuts. So it only gets used at Nanos for the moment!

Posted 22 Oct 2013, 19:41 #8 

Dave Goody
Funny you should say that! We had a 7 hour cut the week after I set it up, the last 4 months nothing!!!!

Posted 23 Oct 2013, 17:48 #9 

Gren 24
I have an old gazebo the sort you have to slot together, was wondering over the winter if that could be cut down or made smaller to fit its has the roof and four sides.so may be make it to the size needed..
May be worth a thought if you cannot get what you need and this one would be free.

Posted 23 Oct 2013, 18:06 #10 

raistlin
That's an idea Les. I'm sure Duncan will comment as it's for his generator. As you know, it isn't the quietest of things when it has to be in the same gazebo as the T4 (Testbook version 4.Computer Diagnostic System) :)
Paul

Posted 23 Oct 2013, 18:17 #11 

Duncan
I'd wondered about adapting a tent or gazebo for the purpose. If it had its own mini shelter we could still put it sensibly away from the working area.

I'm just not sure how much work it is, so was looking for ready made solutions first.

Anyhow, thanks Les, I'll bear it in mind. We have until next year to sort it!

Posted 23 Oct 2013, 18:58 #12 

Gren 24
How about some thing like this

http://www.gardenoasis.co.uk/greenhouse ... tAod1VIAuA

Don't know if its still to small

Posted 23 Oct 2013, 20:05 #13 

Duncan
Well chaps. As it was my birthday, I've given myself a present of a smaller genny. So the cover mentioned in post #4 should now be the right size. But £40?

Posted 19 Jan 2014, 17:15 #14 

raistlin
Many happy returns Duncan. Surely a piece of tent cloth and a metal frame could be put together for somewhat less?
Paul

Posted 19 Jan 2014, 17:22 #15 

Bermudan 75
What about a small tent with both ends opened up?

Cheers

Mike

Posted 20 Jan 2014, 09:09 #16 

Dave Goody
Duncan wrote:Well chaps. As it was my birthday, I've given myself a present of a smaller genny. So the cover mentioned in post #4 should now be the right size. But £40?

Thats a lot of money for a cover which won't reduce the noise! I only paid £150 for my brand new 2.8 KW generator from Llidl.
Can you not install in your garage as I did above. If you have power from the house in the garage you can just plug into your ring main. [Ensuring your main power switch off] PS if you are talking only about use with T4 at meets, ignore me. Dave

Posted 20 Jan 2014, 16:05 #17 

raistlin
Dave Goody wrote:PS if you are talking only about use with T4 at meets, ignore me. Dave

That's right Dave but would never ignore anybody trying to offer help matey :)
Paul

Posted 20 Jan 2014, 17:10 #18 

Duncan
The new genny is already pretty quiet, one of the reasons for getting it. I've been using a 3.5kW one at Nanos for the last couple of years, but its big and noisy, though being Honda engine will run for ever without complaining. We were initially looking for a rain cover for this one, so we could park it well away from the gazebos but keep it dry. This new one will be better, but I still want to site it away from the Gazebo to some extent. I would love to have the budget for a Honda EU10i, but shock yourselves by looking up just how much they are. I've got one very similar to Dave Stocks, as I found his extremely good!

Posted 20 Jan 2014, 19:11 #19