head faliure ? by dissy1810

• Related topics: (no related topics)

dissy1810
last week i changed my head gasket 1.8 k series i gave the head a light rub down on an emery table put it back together using a mls gasket, it lasted a week before it overheated and lost all the water through number 2 cylinder no external leaks.
so i stripped it down again skimmed the head new gasket all back together now it's still overheated no external leaks but still loosing water and cylinder 2 developed a missfire on tickover i have put k-seal in and the car is now running fine this is just a temporary fix does anyone have any suggestions what is wrong with my engine do i need a new head or a new engine .
i have owned the car about 4 months and it has always had coolant issues like excessive coolant pressure and coolant loss any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Posted 22 Jun 2010, 19:27 #1 

SpongeBob
The 1.8 Engines often are quite particular about their coolant levels. Be sure all the pipes and connectors are secure around the engine as often leaks (sometimes only noticeable under pressure) can develop therefore causing coolant loss. As you've stripped and re-gasketed the engine yourself I'd assume you know what you're doing ;) but it's always worth re-checking everything you've done. The misfire on cylinder 2 could be a red-herring in terms of the coolant loss or it might indicate there is a leak of some sort on that cylinder.

I'm not fully up-to-speed on the 1.8 engines so hopefully someone a bit more learned in their operation will be along to assist shortly :)

Posted 22 Jun 2010, 21:31 #2 

Simon
Having a 1.8 I feel your pain. :cry:

Never had this problem.

You've hopefully got this sorted by now, but if not.

Is it possibly a loose liner. Just an idea. :confused:

Please don't take offence, did you use new stretch bolts, and ladder? :gmc:

The K-Seal may slowly start to block your heater matrix. Best to get it out sooner rather than later mate.
115,000 miles and counting

Posted 08 Jul 2010, 20:17 #3 

chrissyboy
i would say you need a new head .. if the head has a history of leaking then it may of had a few skims already .
nothing like a good rover motor car ,as i said its nothing like a good rover motor car

Posted 03 Oct 2010, 20:57 #4 

RRobson
chrissyboy wrote:i would say you need a new head .. if the head has a history of leaking then it may of had a few skims already .

could also be down to the hardness of the head. as said, if it has been skimmed a couple of times then is going to be a new head, but the outer surface is hardend and so skimming will only remove it.
Tools available to local members

Injector removal tool
Auto gearbox pressure test tool
Vis tester

Posted 03 Oct 2010, 21:11 #5 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Just a by the way. This thread is over 3 months old and the OP's only post and has not come back on it. I hope he found a solution.

Posted 03 Oct 2010, 21:13 #6 

chrissyboy
lo 3 months old hey .. was going toask if he flushed the system as its sounds like the the rad is blocked
nothing like a good rover motor car ,as i said its nothing like a good rover motor car

Posted 08 Oct 2010, 19:37 #7 

dissy1810
my car was sorted it turned out the head was cracked on number 2 cylinder been great now it has not lost any water since and runs spot on

Posted 09 Oct 2010, 19:57 #8 

MrB
Thanks for getting back to us, always nice to know how a problem has ended.
Chris
Member No. 143
Mods so far: LED sidelights, interior lights and number plate lamps, Rover Xenon Headlights, Kenlowe Fan, Synergy 2 and EGR Bypass

Posted 09 Oct 2010, 20:41 #9